Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6e8a50174d55d187cea1f49cfbdf42c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Boot Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tinabelle2006 ()



Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 16

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Hoth Boot Help Reply with quote

I've seen other posts about these, but I found a few that I need opinions on before I purchase them. After looking at various builds, there seems to be no specific boot currently available for purchase. These are what I am looking at:









The last pair seems closest to the boots that were screen used, with regard to the toe stitching, as seen here:





Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 2263
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that the stitching is there on the last pair of boots, but I don't like that the stitching is a much darker color, I think it's a bit distracting. I'd rather see a boot that does not have the stitching than the last pair.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are going to need to add to the boot to make the correct style, so you will need to be able to match the material. It might be easier to try and find a boot that is not a suede like fabric.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
tinabelle2006 ()



Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 16

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
I like the fact that the stitching is there on the last pair of boots, but I don't like that the stitching is a much darker color, I think it's a bit distracting. I'd rather see a boot that does not have the stitching than the last pair.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are going to need to add to the boot to make the correct style, so you will need to be able to match the material. It might be easier to try and find a boot that is not a suede like fabric.


Thank you SO much! That helps a lot Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO


Joined: 20 Jul 2002
Posts: 614

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that the boots on the mannequin are wedge shoes with the boot shafts added.

I'm seeing a lot of girls working on the Hoth suit just buying shoes and adding straps. I urge each of you not to do this. Leia's Hoth boots are built more like Luke's Hoth and Bespin boots. Please take this extra step.

Yes, I know there is a single picture out there for Leia wearing zip up boots with straps, but it's not a film still, it's a promo image. Please don't fall victim to following a single reference image!
_________________
Corellian Base
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 1601
Location: Clayton, NC
Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up Leah, I didn't realize that she only wore those in the promo pic.

I'm working on Hoth Leia and I found some wedged leather boots with a 1.5 inch wedge. In addition to adding the straps, I'm adding the pieces of leather that surround the calf of the boot (these are the pieces with the straps on top of them, and you can see the opening of them in the front.)

Thank you so much for clearing that up, I didn't realize that they were shoes with just the calf section added on Smile
_________________
Blue Ridge Base
Legion Costume Judge: Royalty, Fringe, and Rebel Supporters
501st Legion member DZ-11177
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
tinabelle2006 ()



Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 16

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. I had actually planned to make these in the same fashion that my Biker Scout boots were made. They are a base work boot with vinyl covers that velcro together in the back. I am now considering buying wedge ankle boots and making the rest of the boot out of vinyl in the same manner (with the exception of the velcro in the back and the addition of the tongue). I think this will keep the finished boot from being so bulky and may keep my legs and feet from getting so hot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 1378

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Leah wrote:
Also keep in mind that the boots on the mannequin are wedge shoes with the boot shafts added.

I'm seeing a lot of girls working on the Hoth suit just buying shoes and adding straps. I urge each of you not to do this. Leia's Hoth boots are built more like Luke's Hoth and Bespin boots. Please take this extra step.

Yes, I know there is a single picture out there for Leia wearing zip up boots with straps, but it's not a film still, it's a promo image. Please don't fall victim to following a single reference image!


The standards for these say "wedge" boots, which is what is in promo images and exhibits, but I'm seeing shots from the movie where they are flats and more like Luke's. I wonder which it is?

http://padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth105.jpg
_________________

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 5852
Location: New Orleans, LA
Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Princess Leah wrote:
Also keep in mind that the boots on the mannequin are wedge shoes with the boot shafts added.

I'm seeing a lot of girls working on the Hoth suit just buying shoes and adding straps. I urge each of you not to do this. Leia's Hoth boots are built more like Luke's Hoth and Bespin boots. Please take this extra step.

Yes, I know there is a single picture out there for Leia wearing zip up boots with straps, but it's not a film still, it's a promo image. Please don't fall victim to following a single reference image!


The standards for these say "wedge" boots, which is what is in promo images and exhibits, but I'm seeing shots from the movie where they are flats and more like Luke's. I wonder which it is?

http://padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth105.jpg


This is a very good question.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 2263
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch the movie closely, the boots change from scene to scene. Sometimes they are wedges and sometimes they are flats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 5852
Location: New Orleans, LA
Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
If you watch the movie closely, the boots change from scene to scene. Sometimes they are wedges and sometimes they are flats.


The standards say wedge heels, so with that in mind, are flat boots approvable?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 2263
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Sandy wrote:
Blue wrote:
If you watch the movie closely, the boots change from scene to scene. Sometimes they are wedges and sometimes they are flats.


The standards say wedge heels, so with that in mind, are flat boots approvable?


That's a good question. I'm not sure of the answer. Maybe we need to review this as a detachment and make a decision to allow flats or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 5852
Location: New Orleans, LA
Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
Princess Sandy wrote:
Blue wrote:
If you watch the movie closely, the boots change from scene to scene. Sometimes they are wedges and sometimes they are flats.


The standards say wedge heels, so with that in mind, are flat boots approvable?


That's a good question. I'm not sure of the answer. Maybe we need to review this as a detachment and make a decision to allow flats or not.


I agree! I think it should be reviewed and a ruling made, since there is evidence of flats and wedges being used in the movie, etc.
I am looking to purchase boots for this costume right now, and I want to make sure I get the correct thing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2013
Posts: 1767

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more photos of the exhibit boots.

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/9403/qndoAm.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/726/4NrKSd.jpg

-----

evidence of wedge heels

http://screencaps.us/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-498.jpg

I can find no evidence of flat heels in the entire film.
here is the screenshot page, for those who want to investigate further.
http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-v-the-empire-strikes-back-1980/1/

-----

hope this helps. cheers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 5852
Location: New Orleans, LA
Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also looks like the base of the boot is smooth leather, and the boot shaft covering looks suede.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO


Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 6504

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Cobalt; I can't find any clear evidence of flat boots; in all the clear stills there always seems to be a small heel. I say we should probably go with that and keep to the current standard.
_________________
DXO of Royalty & Senatorial detachment

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group