Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c2bedcf47d7cb030d46cf291c86fd5f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ackbar 'finishing touches'...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Original Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Ackbar 'finishing touches'... Reply with quote

So I'm nearing receipt of my ackbar mask, hands, and uniform; leaving me worried about the last few touches: the belt and rank insignia.

I'm especially hoping there's a decent, active source for the rank insignia. Carving small, detailed things like that is not anywhere close to my forte. The belt I can put something together if I need to, but if there's anyone already making them I'd entertain that too...

Thanks!

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... If anyone ELSE comes across the questions I did here, I wanted to say that I'd be able to hook you up now with both a set of rank badge and belt boxes soon. I found someone (probably a member here, but I found him through flickr so not sure who) and bought his mold off him. And I've been trying my hand and vac forming bucks with the belt boxes, and finally got decent results this past weekend. Still need to make copies so the whole set of 5 can be pulled economically from one sheet, but once that's done I'll be able to offer them... I'll post more info and pictures once I get a little more work done...

Anyway , I'm also wondering about the color on the belt, under the boxes. The CRL says 'cream colored' like the tunic, but are they really the exact same, or should they be differnet material? For some reason I'd gotten into my head it was closer to the shirt/pants material than the tunic, but I guess not...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pandatrooper ()
Falcon Base XO
Falcon Base XO

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its more that the belt itself is "off white" as it was likely nylon or canvas etc. Looking at this reference pic, its highly likely to be nylon webbing or canvas webbing which was used a lot on other costumes in Rotj.

http://www.pbase.com/jesse/star_wars_exhibit

Looking forward to pics as this is also a future build for me!
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh... now I want a closeup of that little detail on the top of the back box! That's the first time I've ever seen that... Has anyone ever found good shots of that?

But yeah, looks like nylon webbing or canvass; closer in color to the tunic than the shirt/pants, though not exactly the same...

gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just submitted, so we'll see how it goes... FYI, here are pictures, including pix of the rank badge and belt boxes:
http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/gandalfbmg/library/Ackbar%20Submission%20Pix?sort=3&page=1

I've done my first successful copy of the badge too, and am waiting on the first hydrocal copy of the side belt box to cure as well, so I can pull sets soon hopefully...

Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job Bart....I am sure it will have no problems getting approved.....looks outstanding!!!!

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I would post here in addition to the e-mail that I sent you in case there are any prospective Ackbars following your build.

One thing that the judges will be asking you to adjust is the length of your tunic. Your tunic is a bit too long. In the photos/stills of Ackbar, his tunic ends just about at the crotch.

The other thing is the belt under your belt boxes. Your belt is really too dark and looks tan rather than off white/cream. Finding off white/cream is difficult, so the judges accept a white belt under those cream colored belt boxes.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Original Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: