Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=591e045d01b45dc14e0a3e64adde002dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Boots & Gloves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyboy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Boots & Gloves Reply with quote

I'm not seeing much reference material for gloves & boots. Does anyone have information on reference material, vendors, etc. for gloves and boots? Thanks!
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much this applies to the other pilots, but for the X-wing pilot, the gloves and boots are pretty standard.

The boots used in the movies were WWII era German Jack boots. There are several variations of Jack boots that can still be found at surplus stores and most are approvable. If you do go looking for Jack boots, make sure that you understand the sizing system.
(Jack boots are sized under the EU system and can often run on the small side.)

Or you can just buy a modern pair of "Engineer" style motorcycle boots.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Engineer-Boots/Xelement-Mens-Classic-Motorcycle-Advanced-Engineer-Biker-Boot/41626.html

The lower strap and buckle needs to be cut off to make it approvable.
IMO, the motorcycle boots will be much more comfortable than Jack boots will be. Especially if you have to march in any parades.

As for the gloves: There are a few sources for gloves that can be used.
Basically you are looking for a plain black leather glove with a large cuff or Gauntlet. (Renaissance style)
Pleather is also acceptable if you prefer not to use leather.

Here's one source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-BLACK-MEDIEVAL-RENAISSANCE-GAUNTLET-GLOVES-MADE-IN-USA-/171054688953

Here's another source:
http://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets/gauntlets.html

David L.
Rich330 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot discussion: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52733&highlight=
Flyboy ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some excellent advice david and thanks for pointing me towards that link Rich.
Flyboy ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get a pm and was able to purchase some great sith armor gloves. As for the boots, there's good info out there but nothing definitive. There's a picture on the x wing pilot standards page, does anyone know what kind of boots these are? Since I'm doing a skywalker costume does this require different boots from the normal xwing pilot boots? Someone suggested these biker engineer boots to me (then removing the bottom buckle). http://www.myleather.com/site/product?pid=41625&dispid2=144. Can anyone tell me (maybe costume judge) if these boots would work? Thanks!

Last edited by Flyboy () on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those boots could work, but the ankle straps have to be removed and the top buckles need to be hidden. One will easily be able to be hidden under the leg flare strap, but the other will need to be bloused over by the pant leg.

Skywalker uses the same boots as a normal pilot. Sometimes there's confusion there because there's the famous promo picture that has Mark wearing the wrong boots (among other inaccurate details).
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyboy wrote:
There's a picture on the x wing pilot standards page, does anyone know what kind of boots these are?

Those are the standard Jack Boots.

Rich330 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have to nit-pick but it would be better to avoid terms like "standard jack boots". No such thing exists as "jack boot" (German _"Knobelbecher(-stiefel)) is a generic and laregly colloquial term used to describe a very broad range of boots.

Your best bet for a close match for the original boots is German army surplus. Modern Federal german Army boots are still close to those used in the movies (they may or may not have been WWII Wehrmacht surplus).

Here is some more information to help with searching German eBay and other army surplus sites ...

"Knobelbecher" is a useful seach term but also a very colloquial term which refers to a very general style of military type boot. It's the equivalent of the English term "jack boot". It may refer to any number of similarly styled boots. It is not a specific nor is it an official designation.

The literal translation from German is "dice cup" because this type of boot with a calf-high shaft resemble the traditional leather cups used for dice games in Germany.

Yes, searching for "Knobelbecher" will bring up a number of results but it will be a very general search.

E.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=knobelbecher&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=6KWPUuzGLoWq0QXy9YHABA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=597#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=BSYDEy5B0eH4lM%3A%3BHzDKBfgfBpgqsM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.n-saddleshop.de%252Fimages%252Fknobelbecher.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.n-saddleshop.de%252F5014799f490a1b004%252F50147997360c14269%252F5014799d4809a5503.html%3B439%3B600

If you want to narrow your search down, these are some relevant German designations and their meanings ...

Wehrmacht - Army of WWII period Nazi Germany

Bundeswehr - Military of modern Federal Germany

Stiefel - boot(s)

Wachbataillon - guard batallion
Search for "Wachbataillon" and "Stiefel" and you will find this type of boot from modern Bundesweher surplus (with no buckle):

Marschstiefel - Marching boots (a term often used in conjunction with "Knobelbecher" and can bring up some useful results)

Paradestiefel - Parade boots (a term often used in conjunction with "Knobelbecher" and can bring up some useful results)

Marinestiefel / Seestiefel - navy boots / sea boots
These are the modern navy boots with the rubber sole which match the M&M boots quite nicely:

NVA - stands for "Nationale Volksarmee" (National People's Army), former army of the (East) German Democratic Republic. Search for "NVA Knobelbecher" and you will find surplus from old East German stock and a good reasonably priced alternative boot (with no buckle):

Filzstiefel / Winterstiefel - felt boots / winter boots
Exclude these terms from your search to filter out results with incorrect felt lining (visible on the upper section of the boots on the outside):

At the moment, my favourite type of boot (available from modern Bundeswehr surplus) for recreating the Rebel pilot jack boot look is the "Bundeswehr Marinestiefel" and they're the next pair on my shopping list.

Smile
Flyboy ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, thanks for the continued discussion about these boots. Rich330 you really seem like an expert about all of this and I can tell you really know your stuff.

I'm trying to avoid purchasing WW2 German Jack Boots. Nothing against Germans as my heritage is German, but I'm just not a fan of purchasing boots who's purpose was to aid in the extenction of human life. (Truly Ironic and hypocrictical as I spent many years in the US armed forces, I know.)

So I'm trying to find that happy medium between what looks authentic (with modificaions, if required), comfort, and cost.

Thanks again to all that have contributed to this discussion and let's keep it going if there is more information that's out there.

Josh
Rich330 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyboy wrote:

I'm trying to avoid purchasing WW2 German Jack Boots. Nothing against Germans as my heritage is German, but I'm just not a fan of purchasing boots who's purpose was to aid in the extenction of human life. (Truly Ironic and hypocrictical as I spent many years in the US armed forces, I know.)

Hi Josh,
I can understand if you wouldn't want to wear boots wornj by the Nazis but realistically I'm talking about surplus from the modern Federal German army, i.e. post war, becasue that's what's readily and abundantly available.
As well as being an ally of the USA and representing a modern Western democracy, until just a few years ago they were banned from any kind of military action and the armed services were not much more than another branch of the emergency services and a training centre for young men doing military service.
TuskenFan (Luis A. Diaz Jr.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
As for the gloves: There are a few sources for gloves that can be used. Basically you are looking for a plain black leather glove with a large cuff or Gauntlet. (Renaissance style)
Pleather is also acceptable if you prefer not to use leather.

Here's one source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-BLACK-MEDIEVAL-RENAISSANCE-GAUNTLET-GLOVES-MADE-IN-USA-/171054688953

Here's another source:
http://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets/gauntlets.html

David L.

Hi, I'm just getting started on my pilot and have been looking for sources for boots and gloves. My question is regarding the gloves that David suggested. I thought that the gloves were required to have verticle stiching on the back of the hands. Is this something that's needed to make the gloves aproveable or does it not matter? Thanks for the help!
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."-Winston Churchill
What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!?!-Emperor Palpatine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: