Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7ecbaf5cba025ec58155dd1362688029Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

What is a "screen accurate" SG costume??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Glad to hear all the experimenting produced some movie-like results. I can't wait to see more. Smile

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
TK IAIN (Iain Hamilton)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all. Very Happy

Keep us all posted on this one. Will your seamstress be using a particular pattern for your robes? Mind that the SG robes are pretty flat when compared to others such as a Royal Guard.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unsure of cotton velvet. Will it have a good "depth" to it?
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I'm unsure of cotton velvet. Will it have a good "depth" to it?

you tell me Wink (note the color shown is the Royal blue that is the accepted standard. My seamstress and I are working on a second set of robes that uses SY fabrics patriot blue velvet, which is much more screen accurate IMHO. I will post pics once the new robes are completed)

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/100--Cotton-Med-Light-Weight-Velvet/Royal-Blue-Cotton-Velvet-56-/3764/433

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=8854&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes

TK IAIN (Iain Hamilton)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very, very nice indeed.

Will be interesting to see both your blue robes side by side when your new ones are completed to make a more informed judgement.

When seen next to my Royal Guard robes the Senate Guard ones look so flat and somewhat lifeless (no pleats, folds and so forth) but we have that damn fine rifle and the "hairy" helmet.

Do you any of the material available from your new robes to have a quick looksee next to these ones??Even a wee sample would be good to see and compare.

Totally off the wall comment here but I reckon all SG's should have a beard as it makes us look quite regal and more so with the open faced lid but that is a strange comment from me as I am 48 in March and it takes me weeks to get so much as a dirty mark under my nose let alone getting anywhere close to what could be considered a beard. Crying or Very sad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good, but I myself prefer silk velvet, there's really nothing quite like it. This makes me think of velveteen. It has a very "shallow" look to it, whereas silk velvet has beautiful depth. But, this would be pass-able, I'm sure.
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
It looks good, but I myself prefer silk velvet, there's really nothing quite like it. This makes me think of velveteen. It has a very "shallow" look to it, whereas silk velvet has beautiful depth. But, this would be pass-able, I'm sure.

EDITED Neutral (AND it has passed-twice! Wink )

Everyone that has seen this costume (both RL and 501st) has been blown away about how awesome it looks (their words, not mine) in person. The decision to even [have to] go with the Royal blue velvet from SY fabrics is based off your own research I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) several years ago, although you guys may have opted for the plush velvet (???)

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/2010/04/blue-senate-guard-it-can-begin.html

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/2010/04/senate-guard-progress.html

When you look at all the available screencaps and still pics, I still believe that Royal Blue is an incorrect color choice (one Stormie even called me a giant plumed blueberry Laughing ) but I guess I can understand why it has been settled on, based on convenience and affordability. I should be getting the mock-up of my new robes from my seamstress this week and will be working on using the new fabric (I have a swatch and ordered 6yds more. I don't have a comparison pic ATM, but it looks the more correct color) in the near future.

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/100--Cotton-Med-Weight-Velvet/Patriot-Blue-Med-Weight-Cotton-Velvet/4771/452

Stay tuned..........

Last edited by Daddy Solo () on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was decided to choose a standard velvet that would be within a reasonable price range for everyone and also give everyone a type of uniformity if they chose. There is by no means a requirement to use Sy's fabric. Everyone is free to choose their own velvet, as long as it still meets the requirements. In fact, those are old blog posts of mine and my husband decided to go with a different velvet in the end.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(And just so you know, I praised your costume to the other LCJs when it went through the queue because you had the accurate cut to the robe and accurate under garment. Yes, I'm one of the LCJs that approved your costume.) Wink
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
(And just so you know, I praised your costume to the other LCJs when it went through the queue because you had the accurate cut to the robe and accurate under garment. Yes, I'm one of the LCJs that approved your costume.) Wink

That is actually great to know - thank you mucho! Cool Please forgive me, but your husband's robes do not look royal blue at all - they appear much darker which is what I wanted all along Confused For all intents and purposes, the only folks this really matters to are those of us in the RL who find this character striking in appearance. Most people who see me at a troop simply say - "Wow, that looks awesome....... but who are you again??" Sadly, and I don't know how you make this leap - one woman even called me Santa Shocked

To my eye, my robes look no less "deep" than the Crimson Guard I stood next to who's outer robe was a more traditional velvet (and who also couldn't go outside in the snow for fear or ruining his outfit Wink

Regardless, thank you for your commitment to excellence and for your approval. I should have a second, better fitting (tighter shoulders and a bit longer) mockup from my seamstress by the end of the week.

As an aside - a few pics from this weekend's troop at the USS Intrepid Kid's week 2014 (It is amazing how different the blues look under different lighting)

Last edited by Daddy Solo () on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work with the color and all that, and your photos there really do show how much lighting changes how the color appears on velvets, which is why finding just the right color using movie stills and reference photos is so challenging for anything velvet.

I do agree that silk velvet is my favorite kind of velvet, however, as with all the costumes we do, each type of fabric has strengths and draw-backs. One is color (when custom dying isn't something you want to do), as you've found, and then there's sheen and depth. And then there's durability. In my experience, silk velvet is very fragile and crushes easily. It's harder to store, harder to transport, and harder to sit in without damaging the pile. Cotton velvet and synthetic velvets are a lot more resilient to crushing. So, for really frequently-worn costumes, silk velvet may not be actually the best choice. They are also cheaper, when budget is an issue.

None of our standards require a particular type of velvet or another, so one really has to weigh all of the different pluses and minuses in a fabric and what your priorities for the costumes are to get the best material for what you want.

For my part, I really like the color that you found for your most recent version. Mr. Green

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
jjfarner ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME thread!!! I am starting on a SG Ep III. You guys (and gals) have helped a lot in the decision making process with your insight and experience.

I look forward to joining your ranks soon!!!
501st TKID 10409
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjfarner wrote:
AWESOME thread!!! I am starting on a SG Ep III. You guys (and gals) have helped a lot in the decision making process with your insight and experience.

I look forward to joining your ranks soon!!!

Excellent! If I can personally be of any help, please don't hesitate to pm me. Obviously, we also have some amazingly talented LCJ's who are a great resource as well. Keep us posted
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, just wanted to post an update - after going back and forth via email w/ my seamstress, she finally completed most of my robes using the different color "Patriot blue" velvet. I still have a few things to complete, like finish the neck hole, have them hemmed to the correct length, and have them professionally cleaned (it seems as though there was a cat in the house where they were made Rolling Eyes ).

I have to say that I think the new color is much more accurate than the currently accepted Royal Blue. Of course, I will take pics under different lighting conditions and post them once I recover from the complex bunion surgery I had performed last week Sad ) Just wanted to keep all those interested, updated.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy Solo wrote:
Mieal Deneb wrote:

That is actually great to know - thank you mucho! Cool Please forgive me, but your husband's robes do not look royal blue at all - they appear much darker which is what I wanted all along Confused For all intents and purposes, the only folks this really matters to are those of us in the RL who find this character striking in appearance. Most people who see me at a troop simply say - "Wow, that looks awesome....... but who are you again??" Sadly, and I don't know how you make this leap - one woman even called me Santa Shocked

To my eye, my robes look no less "deep" than the Crimson Guard I stood next to who's outer robe was a more traditional velvet (and who also couldn't go outside in the snow for fear or ruining his outfit Wink

Regardless, thank you for your commitment to excellence and for your approval. I should have a second, better fitting (tighter shoulders and a bit longer) mockup from my seamstress by the end of the week.

As an aside - a few pics from this weekend's troop at the USS Intrepid Kid's week 2014 (It is amazing how different the blues look under different lighting)

I think the lighting on the earlier pictures did not do the fabric on your robes justice at all because these new pictures are much better. The earlier pictures made the velvet look more like velveteen, but these pictures show that it actually has a deeper richer color.

As far as the "royal blue" wording, I don't think that's a very accurate way to describe these robes. My husband's are technically too dark, but we wanted to be sure we could match the robe color with the helmet paint. Since we lacked the budget to have it color matched, we went with this fabric because it matched the paint we could find. I'd say as long as you aren't going baby blue or navy blue your color choice is somewhat flexible as long as you get it "in the ballpark".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: