Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2cad3c7d9c41494c4144a92e6d785a85Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mary Franklin (LFL) Announcment about Costume events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darthhair (Jeff Rodriquez)
Mountain Base XO
Mountain Base XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Mary Franklin (LFL) Announcment about Costume events Reply with quote

Things they are a changin. I was on the conference call with Mary the other night and this is what she said. This is a copy and paste from her letter:

Heads Up: Star Wars Costumed Fan Appearances

We are extremely fortunate at Lucasfilm to have such devoted fans and we appreciate the excitement and enthusiasm of the worldwide Star Wars fan-organized clubs. In my role as head of fan relations, I am grateful that I get to work with you so frequently.

Now that we are part of a larger organization, I want to make sure you know that my role has not changed. I will still be your point of contact for all activities relating to Lucasfilm as well as The Walt Disney Company and our licensees or promotional partners.

As you can imagine, there is huge enthusiasm in the worldwide Disney offices and with our licensees and promotional partners to engage with Star Wars. Fans and fan organizations will continue to receive invitations to our Star Wars-themed events, such as baseball games, Star Wars Weekends, etc. And, as has been done in the past, there will be times when we call on your groups for what we call Featured Character Appearances.

In short, to help channel the genuine enthusiasm so that that it best benefits Star Wars and your groups, here is what we have communicated inside Disney, Lucasfilm, and to our licensees and promotional partners:
o All requests for Star Wars costumed characters will be coordinated through me, regardless of whether the source of each request is a licensee, a promotional partner, The Walt Disney Company or Lucasfilm.
o When specific costumed Star Wars characters are required by Disney, Lucasfilm, or licensees and promotional partners for Featured Character Appearances, they have been directed to treat any individual involved as project employees.

If you receive any request from an outside group for a commercial activity that is associated with Lucasfilm or Disney and have not heard from me first, please give me a call or send me an email.

Finally, please take note that we understand that your members participate in non-commercial, community and charity activities through your organizations, which are independent of us, and do not require contact with me. Except hoped-for reports for Bantha Tracks!

We appreciate everything that you do in your communities and for the Star Wars brand.

Thank you again for all you do!
Mary Franklin
Mountain Base XO
Mountain Base XO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does all of this mean?

LFL, Disney and their partners want us to keep being awesome. They also want us to help them protect the brand and franchise we love so much.

Does this change what we do?

A little. There will be two tiers of events. Both will need to be LFL approved to an extent depending on how high of a profile event.

One will be the normal events like local conventions, parades, awareness walks, birthday parties and so on.

The second is more like a national team event like our recent Colorado Mammoth or upcoming Outlaws game where the team will be using the Star Wars brand to promote their event and will have to have LFL approve us being there as well as any specific characters who are requested to perform (throw out a pitch or appear in a commercial) will have to be vetted and paid by the hosting company through their payroll and covered by their insurance. This doesn't mean we will all get a paycheck for showing up or anyone will get rich being a Star Wars character. We are still under no circumstances to be paid to be in costume unless it is an LFL event and it is through the hosting company. You cant get paid cash for being at a troop.

What constitutes payment? Money. Monetary compensation for being somewhere in your costume. Parking, lunch, or a gift card is not considered payment.

For the Vetted costumes Mary will ask for current photos of your costume, height and weight and approve accordingly. This does not mean chubby pilots like me cant troop, it only means that is they ask for 2 pilots, troopers or tuskens they will want them to look like they match.

Basically if the event makes money from the Star Wars brand, they have to compensate accordingly.

Things will become more clear as more scenarios and questions come up and I'll pass along any info I get.
JawaJaka ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to set up a system to where everyone has a chance and no one takes advantage of this. It's not a JOB, nor is it a way to make a living! Also, you must consider the tax consequences of taking money. Hopefully the payroll departments are smart enough to deduct taxes before handing you a check, but if they don't you'll have to pay the taxes as it is income.

I have voiced my concerns very heavily on the garrison forums. My main one was members taking advantage by trying to "push" their way into the vetted (paid) positions and claiming they are Disney employees. We are definitely NOT Disney employees, nor are we being paid a wage. This is compensation for making an appearance at high profile events. So, again we need to make sure that we rotate our characters somehow, giving everyone a chance. It's not fair for a very few getting all the paid gigs. My suggestion on the other board was if you trooped one of these events and got paid for it, then please do not sign up for these events the rest of the year (or whatever time we want to set) to give others a chance and not take all the money.

Personally, if I'm paid I'll give it to the charity for that event (like Wounded Warriors at Mammoth). I have a very difficult time accepting money for wearing my costume when the charters say we cannot make a profit with our costumes. It's really a double-edged sword.

My other concern was how Vaders, TK's and maybe Lukes/Leahs and Wookies seem to be the only characters requested because that's what the requesters know. Imagine how I felt when jawas were requested at the Mammoth game. Jawas haven't specifically been requested in three years!!! We're mostly turned away along with Mauls and Tuskens for some reason. I have never done a high profile event on stage/field/etc ever, and it was one of the highlights of my life! Chances of that happening again are pretty nil. My Navy trooper has NEVER been specifically requested, I just troop in that because I can, and I spent eight months making the damn thing. So, how do we educate the requesters that there are characters other than Vader and TK's? It kind of seems RL is being pushed out of these high profile events unless we heavily promote ourselves to the event organizers. Because, let's face it, Mary will heavily recruit for these events in the 501st (everyone wants Vaders and TK's).

I hope our base can be respectful enough and let all of us have a chance. I know I sound pessimistic (I consider myself a realist), but I have a bad feeling about this. Please don't try to make a living with this. Where money is concerned, and with this economy with everyone (including me) trying to make a couple extra bucks here and there, it just brings out the greedy people.
Mountain Base XO
Mountain Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Lynelle,

I agree with you. Money is a sticky subject and none of us should judge or try to sway another member in what they would do with their earnings from a troop. I would most likely donate anything I would make or at least buy my fellow troopers a drink with it but that is a 100% personal decision.

Characters being vetted and cast is up to Mary and not base/ garrison commanders or anyone else.

This is my interpretation based on what I have seen, read and experienced.

This decision by LFL seems to be somewhat based on the side of liability. When you walk into a venue with a ticket there is usually wording that says you loose your rights at the door. They can put you on TV and in the event you get hurt its hard to sue. If your an "employee" of that company, you are covered by their insurance and would have no need to try and sue LFL if something happens.

As far as taxes go, as long as you don't earn more than $500 from one person/ company you are not required to report that on your taxes but you should always use the advise of a licensed tax professional.

Fact is that Vader and Boba along with other costumes are more popular but we will all still have the same chance to troop in our costumes. Being vetted means that you will be at the event at LFL's request and other costumes may accompany if the venue needs them. Getting paid is for characters who perform some sort of an act
PtrsonsZOO (Jennifer Peterson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is that LFL Legal has had a difficult job dealing with frivolous suits filed as a result of some of these events (the foamsaber academies immediately come to mind), and they have always had real concerns about the folks "performing" at these events from a liability side. Aside from the the extra hoops it will take to set up some events, I'm actually quite pleased with this new stance. It shows that they are not just looking out for their bottom line, but also the safety of the "troops" they've been using for years, with zero compensation.

And certain "face" characters will always get first mention when it comes to planning. How many events have you been at when the general public asks, "Where's Vader? Where's Luke? Where's the Princess?" As for the preference of Mary for recruiting, in my experience she doesn't have one. She is there to work as a liaison for the fans, and the event organizers. The organizers set the requirements, and Mary only does her best to accommodate them in a "the customer is always right" philosophy. She's a PR person, and that's her job.

If being at these types of events is your goal, then you create those costumes the general public recognizes. If you costume simply for your own joy, then you do what makes you happy and wish the event people well. Yeah, there will be those who are at every one of these events, because they costume as Vader, or the Princess, or Chewie, and there will always be a demand for the Shiny Whites, simply because seeing a line of TKs is impressive, and that's what the organizers are going for, because that's their job. And yeah, that means some of the same people will be getting those little checks, but there is not enough demand to make it a career, even in places like Los Angeles. At best, the only thing any of them will be able to claim is that they do contract work for an event company. They aren't being paid by Disney/LFL, and the minute they try to pass themselves off as a professional, they loose their standing within the groups, and that takes them off the list.

The best thing we can do to promote a good mix of characters/costumes is to show up, give all we can, and not stir up any animosity when we're given the opportunity to participate. This shows the organizers that as a group, we are an asset to their events, and they will begin to think of us as a group, not just Vaders, Lukes, Princesses and Shinies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, everyone.

I'm glad that they are making policies for this type of thing. It is good CYA for everyone, and it answers some old questions.

Regarding costumes and such, it should be no big surprise if the big names get asked. But as always, we are free to choose whatever costumes we make, for whatever reasons. But I do hope --and am sure --that leadership in the Garrison and Base will try to balance things out as much as possible.

But if we only have ... say.... 2 Chewies and they are requested at every event... well... the same 2 people will be doing it. But no matter how much (or little) these events may theoretically pay, it will never come close to the cost of making a Chewie, or a Vader or Fett. Luke and Leia, maybe. But I don't exactly see people making house payments from this, so the point is mostly moot.

JawaJaka ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right, Bill. I'm just concerned about certain members of all the groups letting it get to their heads and thinking that they "work" for Disney and will post on their facebooks and sig bars as such. It's not the "pay" I'm really concerned about, it's the handful who are doing it for the glory of being at the center of attention, getting these gigs over and over again, and claiming they're employees of Disney because they got paid and got insurance for it (and throwing it into all of our faces constantly). I hope that each person who gets a gig actually signs a contract stating what they can or cannot do during the gig and outside the scope of the gig, including a clause stating that they are not Disney employees. I guess that's my main concern.

As far as making certain costumes, I never liked the look or feel of TK's, so I never made one. Why should I waste money on a costume I've never liked since I first saw them in '77? I've always loved the officer uniforms, so that's what I concentrated on. I like the snowies, and maybe someday I'll make one. And as far as Vader I could pass for Dark Helmet (LOL). But I can't think of anything other than officers for my body type, and LFL will look at body types that fit the costume. I'm not TK material either when it comes to body types. I'm a cooked goose, short fat female. Perfect for officers but not much else.
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the drama queens or people who let stuff like this go to their heads: *&^% them. Sorry, but I have no respect for that behavior. But I think most people don't respect it. I could be wrong.

Is it fun to do big stuff? Sure it is. But you shouldn't let stuff like that, or even potential actions by a select few (who haven't done anything yet) get you riled up.

There have been big events in the past - the Rose Bowl among other LFL events. There will be ones in the future. In the mean time, 99+ % of our troops will be routine. Birthday parties and other events that many people won't troop, because they aren't glory troops, but the right people will troop them specifically because they aren't glory troops.

There will be mid sized ones, and there will be big ones. And all other kinds of troops. And we'll keep on trooping. But it's not like we are in California, so at most, we will get 3-4 sporting events like the Mammoth (if we are lucky.) Very, very rarely will there be other events.

For those that can go, good for them. For everyone else, good for them.Keep on trooping, keep on making smiles. Cool

Warewolf (Alex)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Address For Mary Franklin Reply with quote

Can anyone pass along the address for Ms Franklin please? I just want to ask here if there are any up coming events for the Rebels or if they have no need for such characters ? If no one has an address I can check with some fors I know, just trying to cut through the red tape.
Thanks
Alex
Mountain Base XO
Mountain Base XO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex,

Those requests for characters are made from Mary herself. She notifies us when an even wants certain characters and what level of participation they are needed. I'll see about getting you the info to submit your costume. I dont think you would have a problem having it on the LFL list.

Jeff
Warewolf (Alex)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: