Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=08745a31e482f2fb413b7badf03d5641Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

AN-H-15 Styles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an A-wing pilot helmet? If so, before you make any hard "ear domes" you might want to try on your existing AN-H-15 and see if you can get the A-wing pilot helmet over it. B-wing pilot helmets don't fit over the cap because the helmets are too small (which I'm thinking is why no B-wing pilots in RotJ actually wear the helmet), so you may want to make sure that the helmet you have fits over the cap. It it doesn't fit, making hard domes of your own probably wont fit it any better.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cat O. ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My helmet kit just arrived in the post this Saturday, along with the heating element for my own tabletop vacuform machine!

There is plenty of room inside the earpieces on the hard shell to accommodate the hard eardomes inside. And my plan is to finish the cloth cap work before building the outer bucket just to be sure there are no complications with the final fitting.

A-Wing pilots do wear both in the movie, you can see the vestigal brim of the cloth one poking out in all the cockpit scenes. So A-Wingers can be more fashionable than the Bees. And we gain all of the comm upgrade functionality of wearing an ANH-15 while in flight. Cockpit noise won't interfere with our headsets ~,^
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that they did wear the caps with the helmet, but who knows, the caps could have had the dome things removed for helmet use because they ran into the same problem. Razz

I don't have my A-wing pilot helmet kit put together so I can't compare it to the width of the B-wing pilot helmet. I'm also not sure how accurate my fan-made A-wing kit is to the size of the screen-used helmets.

But yeah, just thought I'd mention it. I'm going to have to make my own AN-H-15 (again) as the one I bought doesn't fit me, either... But I'll probably just make the domes out of foam covered in material, that way they can squish down when I put my helmet on, like I on my current brown cap. I had some ideas as to how I might be able to make the "domes" still look fairly accurate but still make them able to flatten out. But I usually wear my helmet when in costume, so people wont see too much of the cap, anyway.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cat O. ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping my EBay keyword searches running just so I can collect images of any other notable style variations. This is a good time to post an update of the next montage of different styles — because there's a pink one up for sale on EBay this week, it's a size Large and in a lot with an A9 and a Leather helmet. Drat, if only that would fit me!

Top Row from left to right: The A-14 Oxygen Mask Accessory Kit was developed to help riggers put snaps onto the early style ANH-15, this kit included a set of 4 snaps pre-mounted onto a strip of green canvas webbing, the first helmet shown here was these web straps added onto both sides. The 2nd helmet is a later style one with one-piece buff leather snap backing and chin strap ends. The last helmet shows a different style of sewing on the tan leather snap backing.

Bottom Row: An A-9, ANH-15 [light pink!], and Leather flight helmets. The last helmet shows a more straight-edged style of leather snap backing compared to the more angular styles up above it.

Also note that the pink one has buckles for the oxygen mask instead of snaps. This would be a very early one before the A-14 Oxygen Mask was standardised.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, you've definitely been doing your homework.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: