Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=864042b90490700cdb1a0f0313457456Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sabine Star Wars: Rebels (WIP)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldrepublicjedi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Sabine Star Wars: Rebels (WIP) Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

If you haven't already seen it, I am working on Chopper from Star Wars: Rebels. To go with this and to get my wife involved in trooping with me I have managed to interest her in a Sabine costume. I have already sourced the boots and she has picked up two pair of leggings for the trousers and a grey top.
I have been given the task of making the armour, helmet, blasters, belt and painting the lot.

Here are some progress pics of the helmet so far. It still needs some work before i fill and paint it but you get the idea. The biggest problem is the lack of reference pics at the moment

DSCN2187 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

DSCN2186 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

DSCN2192 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

DSCN2194 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

DSCN2196 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

DSCN2197 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

DSCN2198 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

Lauphen_Staar (Emma)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome! I'm really impressed at how round you made the top using foam Mr. Green
Oldrepublicjedi ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a good dome using foam although it is a slow process getting all the gaps joined together well with the glue gun.
Here is a couple of the Mrs trying it on for the first time.

DSCN2208 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

DSCN2207 by SWTOR Jedi Armour, on Flickr

PadmeSkywalker (Carrie Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome!! I know I eventually want to make a Sabine costume as well...and I will follow this build with great interest Smile
Cat O. ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice start!

I've also begun my first steps slicing apart a couple of mini hot glue guns. When I've spliced them back together into her paint gun, I'll post pics.
Oldrepublicjedi ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking to somebody about the resin blasters, and I was also going to make up her spray gun as an extra prop. I will be interested in seeing how yours comes out.

tk5144 (derek)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldrepublicjedi wrote:
I'm talking to somebody about the resin blasters, and I was also going to make up her spray gun as an extra prop. I will be interested in seeing how yours comes out.

Woodchuck makes wood westar 35 blasters also. That is the route I am going.
Troopergirl ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that looks interesting...

I also started working on the costume last weekend when we had "a communications break-down" and no phone and internet for 4 days...

I'm building everything from scratch out of foam... Most armour-parts are already done and the helmet is about 70%... I already have the guns and I also ordered a wig to adjust...

Right now I'm searching for the soft-parts and are having extreme difficulties in finding suitable boots for a reasonable price, as I will ruin them with paint... wink2 Can you post pictures of the boots you got, or tell me what brand it is?
Oldrepublicjedi ()
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boots are from Reichmann shoe store and were £30. I will take a pic tomorrow and post it on here.

Oldrepublicjedi ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody auto correct it was Deichmann.

Oldrepublicjedi ()
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.deichmann.com/GB/en/shop/z8qqpo34umpz

theeviltwin ()
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Just wanted to pass on a few bits of advice regarding the approach I would take to judging these new costumes, which may hopefully help make any approval process smoother, and more importantly, might help your costume’s authenticity. There are a few different costumes from Rebels being done, so I’ll be copying this into all relevant threads that I spot.

Over the past couple of years, I’ve been privileged to judge several different costumes that have not yet had standards completed for them, including costumes from games and movies. While these costumes may not have had standards written, they still need to look like the original outfit and fit the wearer like the original outfit fit the character. In short, they must look authentic, and judging that includes a mix of the following:

Details:
The first thing I would do is exactly what I expect those who have made the costume will already have done – use the reference pictures to break the costume down, piece by piece into the small details that together make the whole. The pockets, the fasteners, the folds, the straps, the belts, the trim, the decorations, the greeblies, the armoured bits, etc.

Identify the “key” parts:
Some details are essential “make or break” parts of a particular authentic costume, some don’t matter as much as others. E.g. ANH Leia just wouldn’t be right without the buns done well, Luke needs the right saber, etc. So what are the key, focal points of these new costumes?
For a rough guide, I’ve read up on how many different RL costumes are judged – from ceremonial Lukes, to XWing pilots, to all the Fringe characters. That’s what the written standards are useful for on those costumes – highlighting the stand-out key parts. So where these new costumes have similarities with the existing ones, I would have similar expectations over what matters.

Fit and proportionality:
Those details identified – how do they fit together on the character? Understanding this is essential for both estimating the real life size of things that only exist in computers, and for having an authentic looking costume. To give you a direct example, here’s part of how I’d look at an ANH Han costumes: boots – are the tops sufficiently close to the knee – if so how far is it to the bottom of the holster – if the holster is then at the right place, does the gunbelt hang from the hips in the authentic way and shape – if all that is right, those parts should have the authentic proportional look.
Back to these new costumes, fit: do the right bits overlap or have the right separation, are the sleeves /cuffs/trouser bottoms tucked in or loose, are the garments fitted tight/loose/regular, should parts be undersized (kind of like Han’s ANH vest) or oversized, etc.

I’ve not even mentioned things like materials, colours, etc. But I wanted to show these principles to point out how costume makers can use these ideas right now to help make their costumes, and make their eventual applications as smooth as possible. As you progress through your WIPs, really show off the detail of your work by cross referencing and adding the reference images you are directly using. Show not only what details you are working into your costumes, but why. “Nothing ends a costume detail discussion like a screen shot”, so always keep one eye on your library of references, and as you work on one part or detail, add them to your WIP with the pictures of your own work.

In the end it is up to you whether you want to share your research in such a way in a WIP. If you chose not to add it to your WIP, I’d still recommend collating that information if you choose to submit the costume (members can add/remove additional pictures and descriptions from their costume profiles during and after an application has been approved) and include it in the application (I personally keep all application information confidential within the people authorised to have access to application information).

The more information is shared now, the more details will be hammered out and quantified, the more armed with authentic and accurate information you will be in making these costumes and the less uncertainty that may need to be handled when the costume is judged.

Hope this helps and makes sense (sorry 2am is the first chance I've had to write this). Good luck and I’m really looking forward to seeing the new costumes come to life.

Thanks.
Greg
Cat O. ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Greg, that is very helpful!

I will definitely be posting WIPs as soon as I have some positive progress to show, and not just a pair of hot glue guns that have been sliced into pieces with a razor saw. And looking forward to other folks' ongoing WIPs.
Troopergirl ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldrepublicjedi wrote:
https://m.deichmann.com/GB/en/shop/z8qqpo34umpz

Thank you for the tip with Deichmann... unfortunately the link just opens with the front page of the online shop, but I will take a look at our local shop to see if I can find something suitable.

As I used the good weather we had this weekend, I will start my own Sabine-WIP tonight.
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking really hard at these for my wife's Sabine build.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Laundry-List-Women-s-Double-Material-Riding-Boot/28420139
What do you think? Cheap too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: