Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b17fe1e8f072820fda99def21a7c062dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costume Base/Jedirobe Jedi costumes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 16 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Costume Base/Jedirobe Jedi costumes Reply with quote

I have been meaning to post this for quite some time....
this is something we Jedi costume judges discuss frequently...

it is with regard to Costume Base's and Jedirobe Jedi costumes.

http://www.thecostumebase.com/deluxe-full-obi-kenobi-costume-jedi-star-wars-tunic-robe-belt-pouchs-capsules/

http://www.jedirobeamerica.com/88,606,star_wars___replica_costumes.obi_wan_kenobi_costumes.Star_Wars_Obi_Wan_Kenobi_Costume___Body_Tunic_only___Replica_Star_Wars_Costume.html

Where not completely terrible generic Jedi costumes, they are really not meant to fit everyone. In reality, they are only good for short and thin people.

Why do I say that?

For most normal height people, their outer tunic is just too short. Some of them end up to be barely more than a oversized shirt if the wearer is tall.

Ideally, Jedi outer tunics should come to mid thigh. At the very least, the outer tunic should cover your butt. Many folks are just too tall for CB/Jedirobe Jedi costumes and the tunic ends up to come only several inches below the waist.

Also, if the wearer is a larger person, the outer tunic does not overlap in the front as it should. Also, the sleeves end up to be pretty darn short. The sleeves of a good Jedi costume should come to your knuckles.

In addition, if you are a larger person, the tabards from a CB/Jedirobe costume end up far too skinny. The width of the tabards should really be proportional to the size of the wearer. The tabards also tend to end up too short. Tabards should be long enough to end at least at the bottom of the outer tunic...front AND back. I see so many CB/Jedirobe costumes that end up with tabards in the back that only end up a couple inches below the sash. For those, I usually tell the applicant to just end the tabard at the sash in the back.

The other thing that puzzles me about CB/Jedirobe Jedi costumes is the inner tunic. Many of the CB/Jedirobe submissions we get have an inner tunic that doesn't even look like an inner tunic. It looks like a scarf tucked around the neck. Most often the inner tunic is off center and can be seen on one side of the body and not the other.....
never sure what to make of that.

Lastly....just a reminder to those about to submit a costume...
please....
look at the photos before you link to them.
please...press your costume..
make sure it is set right and presents your costume in its best light...
we often get submissions of costumes where it looks like a person just climbed out of bed in their costume.

This information is meant to be helpful and take some of the mystery out of what the judges look at ...
and look for...

Please look at the information in the spirit intended...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte) on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some costume makers of Etsy who produce far better costumes with far better materials to the buyers actual measurements for about the same money.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned unlike the SW universe, Jedi tunics need to be tailored to the wearer and not a s/m/l kinda thing. For those looking to purchase garb like myself, look at what options are there and make sure to ask if anyone has dealt with a dealer.

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dimes (Jimeoin Murphy)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
There are some costume makers of Etsy who produce far better costumes with far better materials to the buyers actual measurements for about the same money.

A point I agree with, I just bought from Speedy Costumes on Etsy, they were not much more than CB and look far more decent. Better material too. Personal opinion but I think the service I got was much better, after messaging both CB base and Speedy

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of this post is that where your Jedi does not have to be tailored...
it should more or less fit you and be proportional.

For some reason, we are seeing a LOT of costumes being submitted with outer tunics that are just way too short.

Tunics by definition are supposed to be longer outer garments and if you look at the Jedi in the movie (except for some of the female face Jedi) you will see that the tunics generally come to around mid thigh....some slightly above...and some slightly below.

We are getting outer tunics submitted that maybe are a couple inches below the sash....
where we do not require them to come mid thigh...we at least expect the tunic to cover your butt.

The other thing that we have been finding that is not very proportional is the tabards...

Some have tabards that are way too wide and look like sails on the shoulder...and others are really narrow.

A lot of the tabards are also too short for the wearer.

Just some things to think about as you design or go to buy your Jedi costume.

Where the costume standard does not specify that the tunic should cover your butt, we assume that folks will use common sense and look at some of the Jedi from the movies and use them as a guide.

Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Where the costume standard does not specify that the tunic should cover your butt, we assume that folks will use common sense and look at some of the Jedi from the movies and use them as a guide.
Common sense isn't all that common, my friend.

A good rule of thumb is to use your own body measurements. The waist seam should be even with your navel. Measure from the shoulder to the navel in the front. Use that same measurement for the length of the skirt.

Your mileage may vary, but it's what we do for the Jedi Tunics that we produce.

Another option is to kilt-length it. Use the navel line for the waist, as usual. Now, kneel down and have someone measure from that line to the floor on the front, sides, and rear. There are your measurements for the "kilt-length" skirt to your outer tunic. The good thing about doing it that way is it will appear even all the way around you.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ms. Biggar's guidelines changed from film to film.

in TPM it appears that Obiwan's tunic was cut to be the same length as his sleeves, with arms at rest.
the tunic and the sleeves line up horizontally; his tunic is exactly as long as his sleeves.
I suspect that if Ewan Mcgreggor had longer arms, then the tunic would be longer as well Wink hehe
this seems to be a design parameter for this costume

(this is also true of anakin2, for that matter: the tunic length is roughly the same as the sleeves, with arms at rest)

but in episode 3, all the jedis seem to follow a different rule.
the waist seam is located at the center of the tunic, measured vertically on the body.
(and/or, the skirt length is determined by the position of the belt). Wink hehe

for example, compared to mace windu, obiwan wears his belt fairly high on his belly..
so his tunic comes down to the mid-thigh, in order for the upper/lower halves of his costume to be the same vertical length;
meanwhile windu wears his belt low down on his hips like a gunslinger, so his tunic comes all the way down to his knees, in order to look "proportional" to obi-wan.

at first glance they couldn't be more different, mace's tunic looks absurdly long compared to obiwans..
..but in both cases, the upper/lower halves of both costumes (above and below the belt) are roughly the same vertical length.
now THIS seems to be a design parameter Wink hehe

-=====-

if you want to make a rule from all this, then the standards could either read..

"tunic must be longer than the sleeves, with arms at rest" (to account for EP1-style), or...

"upper and lower halves of the tunic (above and below the belt) should be roughly proportional to each other" (EP3-style)

Volund Starfire wrote:
Common sense isn't all that common, my friend.

A good rule of thumb is to use your own body measurements. The waist seam should be even with your navel. Measure from the shoulder to the navel in the front. Use that same measurement for the length of the skirt.

^^ THIS. Wink
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Phyllis and thanks everyone for the replies and good advice Smile

I'm going to make this a sticky for future reference Ben
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Obi-Wan's is generally shorter in TPM however the scene where he and Qui-Gon are talking about Anakin walking away from the Naboo ship on Coruscant prior to returning to the planet the tunic seem way longer in that shot as it does in some of the duel shots.

The tunic should at least be mid thigh and mid thigh the whole way around. A Jedi tunic when worn is even all the way around the bottom, may people make them a certain length and cut prior to putting it on and hemming.

Because some costumes were made for extras they are not all tailored...there's a guy in the arena wearing mace windu's exact outfit.

I've found with CB this is going to be more then likely what occurs, things are made in a general size. My ANH Han had to be tailored a bit when I got it.

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QenVarith (Brandon Bloodworth)
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

Medals: 2 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Roses Designs made my tunic set (tunic, tabards, obi), and they made it to my specifications, and they were very reasonably priced and easy to work with. A bit of tweaking needed to be done here and there, but the overall fit was good and the quality was great.
jonathansams (Jonathan Sams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw this actually said in the topic, but im going to ask anyway. Should this be a "don't buy from costume base" or just an observation of what they are making now. My outer tunic, tabbards and obi are from cb and I have gotten lots of compliments on them from other jedi who asked where I got them. I purchased mine in 2008

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathansams wrote:
I never saw this actually said in the topic, but im going to ask anyway. Should this be a "don't buy from costume base" or just an observation of what they are making now. My outer tunic, tabbards and obi are from cb and I have gotten lots of compliments on them from other jedi who asked where I got them. I purchased mine in 2008

No...it isn't a "don't buy" but rather a statement that these costumes really are not made for every body type...

Maybe back in 2008 CB was making the outer tunic longer....but now the outer tunic is very short and only suitable for a person who is also very short.

Also, CB tabards are starting to be very narrow...which makes them suitable only for very narrow/thin people.

I have watched CB for many, many years...and it would seem that they make changes in their stuff from time to time and usually start making them cheaper.....

shorter outer tunics and very narrow tabards translates into using less fabric = cheaper - they are saving money in that regard...

Tag Aldeggon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guideline I always use when helping others with their tunics is that the hem should completely cover your, er, behind, whether sitting or standing. If your were to be wearing pants with back pockets, they should never show no matter how you sit or stand.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
hyperguyver2 (James Kelly)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is becoming a common issue with the OT the question I have is why hasn't this been added to the costume requirments?
Folks like myself who are trying to get certified should definately be aware of this before dropping a couple hundred dollars to have a costume tailored. I only ask because that appears to be the only nit-pick on mine thays been brought to light, but I also opted for a shorter skirting because as a martial artist the long skirt was a hinderance to my movements, basically opting for practial over visual. I just dont want to see someone else make the same mistake I did if it ultimately ends up preventing certification.
merseyjedi ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I messed up before I found this website and purchased a costume from a vendor....

If I can find the right material, would it be possible to convert the shirt into a skirt?

It does just about cover my bottom but it could do with being longer....

I'll be having a costume custom made in the New Year (hopefully shed some which first) but I'd like to get the outer tunic for this costume looking better so that I can at lest wear this to the new film...

Is this possible or should I try and find an angel who will knock me up a generic outer tunic before the 17th Dec?

Any thoughts welcome....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: