Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2b94b5e43f9e5f91dcb05d371d8f250fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ackbar WIP - Done!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rebel Command Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Ackbar WIP - Done! Reply with quote

OK
Here goes…
Upon advice, I decided to start a WIP thread. I’m fairly new at this stuff so it won’t be as refined as other people’s projects, but because of that, I’ll probably need more advice and comments to help.
I took some pictures last night with the phone’s camera so that I could get this going. Probably better pictures as I go along.
Oh, and a big shout out to all those people who share their work, craftsmanship, and advice so freely. It’s an amazing community we have here! Special thanks to DanTheMan, MAD_Noroid, tk2707, Admrl Snackbar, terrys, REDEYE, and Roger Allen for answering email questions, posting information and pics, and having such great costumes to refer to.

I have almost all the components I need, I just need to assemble and sew the fabric parts.
I found a pair of white seamless dress shoes at a second hand place that also fit perfectly. For the uniform, I plan to modify a Taekwondo uniform I found. I figured that it would be easier to modify than find something that fit me. Making something from scratch is beyond me at this point, but having one made by a tailor may be the way I go if I can’t get this to work out.

Mask and arms: It looks like I got it from the same source that Pred768 and Craig Kenobi did. I was really impressed with the look and detail.

I’m not sure about how far down the arms should go. From what I can tell they seem to be longer than just starting at the elbow. How does it look?

The arms are tight on me (I’m a big guy). I may try lengthening the slit on the arms so they fit better and backfill with some latex and paint. And by that I mean “while my friend does it and I watch nervously” I certainly don’t want to screw it up…

Last edited by Cheeser359 (Rob Peters) on Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt: I’m still wondering what to use for the belt itself. Any ideas?
For the boxes, I decided to use the soap travel containers because “it would be easier…” For the record, any time you say those words, you guarantee that it won’t be… The containers had ridges/grooves on the top so I thought that I would try my hand at Bondo to cover them up. So, I lightly sanded them and applied a covering of the stinky stuff… I tucked the bottoms inside the tops for some extra strength and a little height. I had a little extra stuff left over so I tucked it in the corners to reinforce it a bit. I must not have roughed them up enough because the Bondo didn’t stick too well in the corners and one top started to lift off a bit at the edge. I sanded them as best as I could and they should be good enough for now anyway. They may just turn out being temporary with custom built boxes in the future…

For the odd shaped side parts, after a couple months of scavenging, I found these lids on glass containers at the Dollar store. I like them because they are the only ones that I have found that have a straight side with no lip on them. I plan on using plastic to build the frame/box around it. Thanks again to DanTheMan for the detailed belt build post.

Tunic:
I have the material, a cream felt colour. (yes, colour with a “u” ) 
Need to get my wife to help me with it and the uniform….
I bought the rank bars from a guy on the RPF group. Nice. I plan to glue some pin/butterfly type things to attach them, like the type that are on nametags or lapel pins.

pandatrooper ()
Falcon Base XO
Falcon Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking awesome!
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, continuing on with the side boxes…
Parts are cut out of fairly thick plastic, and laid out.

I used some acrylic I had to cut out what will be the sides of the notch. (stick with me, that will make sense in a minute…) I thought that the acrylic would be easier to work with than the plastic, but I was wrong. Tried using the scroll saw and the acrylic just melted behind the blade and essentially made ‘scar tissue’ that was even harder to cut! So it was on to the Dremel and cut off wheel. I had wanted to use the scroll saw for the curves, not easy with the cut-off wheel. But eventually I got it done!

This is how they stack, to make the notch part on the round part…

For the round part I cut out a place for the belt to slide through. I thought that would be harder than the acrylic, but it turned out to be quite painless, even with the sparks! I drilled a hole at each end and used the cut-off wheel to cut between them. I then sanded the whole thing to help the glue and paint stick to it. I also drilled a few little hole where the acrylic would go to help anchor/bond them.

And that’s where I am so far. It has taken a lot longer to do than I thought it would, but that’s par for the course on any build, isn’t it?
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress so far. The mask and hands look phenomenal.

When you're constructing the vest, make sure it's fit to your body and not baggy, especially in the back.
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it’s obvious that I’m not going to be making these things for a living. No matter how careful I am, nothing seems to line up perfectly. But that’s where the sanding and Bondo will come in!
I started today by bending a curve into the top pieces.

Heating, bending a bit, heating, bending a bit… Didn’t want to go too fast and melt it and have to start again… Test fit, pretty close!

Then gluing the sides and notch pieces together. I tend to use the 5 min epoxy there in the background. CA glue always seems to find my fingers…

Then gluing the whole thing to the circle part. Here’s what it looks like before filling and sanding.

Belt
I’m going to use 2 inch webbing. I sprayed it with the paint I plan on using for the belt boxes. It seems to be holding well and it also dulls down the sheen. The paint I’m going to use for the belt/boxes is Krylon Ivory, Satin finish. It’s a nice off-white but not too far off. I haven’t checked yet but it’s probably pretty close to the tunic fabric too. Lighting's not great but here’s a picture with the before and after belt, as well as a can of white to compare it to.

Tonight my wife is going to help me and we’ll start the uniform part. When I tried on the martial arts uniform I was going to use as a base, I didn’t like how it looked and it would have taken a whole lot of work to save it so we’re just going to start from scratch. Got some materiel and away we go….
Live and learn…
pred768 (Wade)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great mate Cool
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so where were we…
Belt boxes were Bondo’d and sanded and primed… No pictures as that was pretty run-of-the-mill/didn’t change much… And I hate sanding AND painting

However, there were 2 major advances…
I now have pants! AND a cool set of Star Wars PJ’s too… We tore apart an old pair of pants to use as a pattern and make a mock up with Star Wars flannel. When we were sure it would work, we (mostly my wife) used the pattern on some while polyester blendy material… I was even shown how to use the sewing machine and sewed a bit! (However, I am still not allowed to touch her sewing machine without her around…) 

Minor hurdle #2904…. When I opened up the ribbon I had sitting around for the last month that I was going to use for the gold stripes, I discovered that it was actually transparent. Really? Come on… Back to the store today to look for more… 

Second accomplishment was that we adjusted the mask a bit.
Needless to say, this was a little intimidating and a little nerve racking, taking a knife to that beautiful and expensive mask. But it had to be done. It was a very tight fit and I didn’t know how many times I would be able to pull it over my head before it ripped or choked me… It was like comedian Howie Mandel putting the rubber glove over his head, it was a little snug to say the least. Now, maybe it wouldn’t have been for some people, but as mentioned before, I’m a little above average…
So off to Chris’ house I went. Working with Latex is 100% new to me but Chris has a wealth of knowledge and experience so I felt very secure in letting him work on it. Originally, the thought had been to put a slit down the back side, however, I suggested doing “gills” on the side which would flex when the mask is pulled on and be hidden fairly easily with all the shadows and textures.
Step one was to make a cut on the side (both sides eventually, but I will describe one with the other being identical) After trying on the mask and noticing where/when it was tight when putting it on, we marked the area we wanted to make the cut. Using a sharp blade, we made an incision about 2 inches long on the side.

Chris then used a punch to make a round hole at each end of the cut. This is important to help prevent the cut from tearing later on when stressed. We/he then took a square of stretchy material and soaked it with E-6000 adhesive.

This was placed inside the mask over the cut. It was clamped/held for a while and will be given 24 hrs to cure.

Inside…

I’ll then use more E-6000 around the edges to tack them down. After that is dry, Chris gave me a bottle of liquid latex that I will use to fill in the outside gap a little layer at a time. May use a light hairdryer to speed this step along just a little… Also a little latex on the elastic side, just to reinforce…. A little baby powder to keep things fresh…. I will then use a 50/50 mix of Prosaide and acrylic paint to paint the gap and blend it in to the mask so that it isn’t as noticeable. This Prosaide is flexible and won’t crack like regular paint would on the malleable latex.

So the to-do list is slowly shrinking… although I keep thinking of things to add to it. Maybe it wasn’t detailed enough to start out with…. Example- the mask is done! Except that I still have to put some screen inside the mouth/nostrils area. And maybe a fan system… And maybe….
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a wee bit of progress last night… More pain-ting….
I also found a way to attach the rank bars. I was looking at the Dollar Store for lapel-type flag pins to use the clasps, but they were like a dollar each. (I know! A dollar! Go figure….)
Anyway, that was a little more than I hoped for since I would need a few of them, but then by accident I went by their craft section while looking for acrylic paint and I discovered these little beauties!

And there were 6 which is just perfect for securing the rank bars.

So how do you manage to glue down a piece of fabric or elastic to an irregular shaped latex mask and have it stick?
Rare Earth Magnets!
I was trying to find a way to get the clamps in there when I thought of using the magnets. So far I haven’t glued one on my accident…. 

Misplaced the suspenders I bought for the pants ( I really don’t want my pants dropping while I have those awkward mitts on….

And I found ribbon for the stripes, but didn’t realize that it was paper based until we crumpled it and it did not recover… So 3rd times the charm I hope…..
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So…
Found the suspenders and also found proper ribbon for the stripes.

Side pieces turned out pretty close to what I wanted. Not 100% happy with the belt boxes, nor do I have a lot of confidence in them that they will stand up to trooping… so that may be an upgrade down the road.

On the plus side, I found a top at the second hand clothing store Value Village that would work for the top of the under uniform. This means that we don’t have to make one from scratch.

The tunic looked to be the easiest part of this whole thing, but is turning into the biggest headache so far, and that’s saying something! Whereas it looks like a fairly simple poncho-type cover, the tube around the neck has caused all sorts of problems and design revisions. It got to the point where I just had to say screw it and walk away for a while…

Tunic

Neck Tubing – using a battery as the connector!

Neck

The main problem is that if the collar stays close to the tunic in the front, then it stands up off the tunic in the back.
Since I am not a seamstress, I am having problems conveying my thoughts to my wife who is doing the work. Short of bending the collar (which I don’t want to do as it would not be as accurate) this means finding a way to build up the collar at the back. I suggested bunching the back in (making the back wider and then sewing the ends to the front section), causing a bulge that could be used. We tried adding to the top, but then when we sewed it, it was on the inside, and then we had to cut it to create a flap…

Another problem was that we measured the shoulders and cut them to size, and then attached the collar. This caused the material to pull in and the shoulders became an inch too short on each side! Argh!! I don’t know how people do this! I love a challenge, but at some point I want to be able to succeed!

So it looks like we are going to start version 4 tonight. We’ll make it , attach the collar, and then cut the sides down to size after the fact. The front needs to be wider than the back (because my front is wider than my back) so it’s not just the same pattern used for the front and back. Also, it’s not just a circle for the head hole as the back needs to rise…. Not as easy as it seemed at first…

I applied liquid latex to the slits we cut into the mask. I will try it tonight to see if it still allows me to put the mask on or if it’s too tight. I’m almost afraid this close to finishing that it won’t work… will touch up the paint tonight as well.

Latex patch

Eye
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So!
Well, finally all the pieces have come together. The tunic took more work than first anticipated and quite a bit of material was used for mock ups…. I didn’t see what it really looked like until we took the first submission pictures. As was rightly pointed out, the neck could have been a bit smaller and the tunic itself needed to be trimmed down more. It was too cape-like in the back especially.
As my own worst critic, I will be keeping an eye out for material that is slightly closer to a whiter-cream colour. I think this one is just a shade too dark. Also, to me it doesn’t look quite right, but that could be that I’m not the same body type as the original actor.

Did I mention that I like using magnets? I found some magnets on a belt clip at Lee Valley Tools. They are designed to clip onto a belt and a box of screws could be carried around hands-free. I inverted two of these and hid them inside the belts side boxes. Using the steel cover that came with them, I can put that up under my shirt at the right spot to help keep the belt from slipping or falling.

And here is the final product!!

Picture taken at Ottawa ComicCon, May 10th

I hope that this WIP may help anyone in the future who wants to do one of these, I sure learned a lot!
Thanks for your time
Rob
logicalinsanity ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips for a non-creative guy on how i can find the mask?! Very Happy
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheeser359 wrote:
So!
Well, finally all the pieces have come together. The tunic took more work than first anticipated and quite a bit of material was used for mock ups…. I didn’t see what it really looked like until we took the first submission pictures. As was rightly pointed out, the neck could have been a bit smaller and the tunic itself needed to be trimmed down more. It was too cape-like in the back especially.
As my own worst critic, I will be keeping an eye out for material that is slightly closer to a whiter-cream colour. I think this one is just a shade too dark. Also, to me it doesn’t look quite right, but that could be that I’m not the same body type as the original actor.

Did I mention that I like using magnets? I found some magnets on a belt clip at Lee Valley Tools. They are designed to clip onto a belt and a box of screws could be carried around hands-free. I inverted two of these and hid them inside the belts side boxes. Using the steel cover that came with them, I can put that up under my shirt at the right spot to help keep the belt from slipping or falling.

I hope that this WIP may help anyone in the future who wants to do one of these, I sure learned a lot!
Thanks for your time
Rob

It looks awesome! You should join the detachment!
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39480
DanTheMan (Dan King)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks incredible! Well done!
Deano (Dean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great ,well done . mind if i ask wot material you used for the tunic ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rebel Command Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: