Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8b404fd6875a9e042568759da3823797Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia ANH Senatorial Gown/Boots/Belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coronet ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Leia ANH Senatorial Gown/Boots/Belt Reply with quote

Hello everyone Smile

I´m currently working on my first Star Wars costume ever, which is the classic senatorial gown of Princess Leia. I´ve already finished the sewing part thanks to the many tutorials that I found here and that helped me to sort things out. But now I´m stuck with the boots. At first I wanted to get a pair done from Jdos, because they´re the most accurate boots I could find, but unfortunately I never got a response on my mails, so I had to give that up. I want to wear the costume to an upcoming event so I need boots that ship quick (I´m living in Germany...) and look good. I´ve got just three boots after all the searching I´ve done and I´m not that sure about them... I would love to make the boots myself but unfortunately I´m just bad at those things, so I better don´t try and mess everything up.

1 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4Q2KM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are flat, have a black sole, but they are man shoes and have a zipper...

2 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOMENS-KNEE-HIGH-BOOTS-FASHION-FLATS-WINTER-SHOES-COMFY-WALKING-WORK-PARTY-SNOW-/181380666904?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item6fd84599f9

They are really high and have a zipper, plus I would have to remove those odd ties at the top but the holes would remain...

3 - http://www.zalando.de/anna-field-stiefel-offwhite-an611c04o-a11.html?wmc=COM_11375

No black sole and the colour seems a bit off, but they´re fake leather (or at least the shop says so) and they´re not that expensive and they should just reach under my knee, like the original ones do

4 - http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/weisse-tally-weijl-stiefel,-warm-gefuettert-gr-37/204987323-159-2968?ref=search

Or maybe these? My friend found them, but I can´t tell what fabric it is from the photos and the seller hasn´t written it.

Which shoe would you recommend (and which shoe would most likely be accpted when I submit my costume?)
Or can you recommend me any other shoes that are not from China?

And now to the belt: I want to make the ANH Version of the costume, so I´ve searched for pictures of that and to me it appears like it isn´t plain white but a little bit grey?
I went through all the accepted costumes but most had a thick leather belt without stitching at the top and bottom, but the ANH version is a different belt. Any thoughts on that? I was rather going for a fabric that would fit the look of the movie than the plain white belt that is requested by the costuming standards, but I´m not sure if this would also be accepted?

And at least a pic of the costume Smile

Does this look okay so far? It wasn´t finished when my granny took the pic (bottom not hemmed for example) but I haven´t had the chance to do another pic of the finished dress.
The dress has no shoulder or back seams, the hood is an open hood (slightly rectangular) and the collar has hidden hooks and eyes and in the back is a keyhole opening Smile

Thanks!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dress looks great!

As to your boots, I would go for either #3 or #4. Both of those would be acceptable. If you really wanted black soles, you could dye or paint them, though that could get messy and wear off unattractively.

As to the belt, the original ANH belt is still leather, but what you are looking at is probably something more like doe skin, which is a much thinner leather, rather than the side of a cow.

Staring at the reference photos, I can see where you get a gray belt from, but to me it looks like it's just a white leather finished that is a different white than the white of the fabric. The white leather is reflecting the lighting differently than the white fabric.

I hope that helps!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dress is looking good. You've picked a great costume to start with. I agree with Jenna on the belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: