Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d722688dd42d3fcb6dc25c449c606b20Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leatherwork info thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base -> Tython Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Leatherwork info thread. Reply with quote

Foxtom asked me to make a belt from new leather for his Healer Jedi.

Of course once I made it for him I loved it so much I had to make one for myself.

My new brown leather Jedi belt

Buckle closeup - functional buckle! Wink

Side image of buckle. The thickness of the belt is great, as you can see, the keepers are higher than the Clone Wars Blu-Ray case behind it. Almost 2cm high at the thickest point.

Here is the rear fastening. I usually wear my pouches together at the back, which covers this area.

The size and thickness of the pouches had somewhat overwhelmed the old belt, so now the whole lot is much more in proportion with itself. I trooped with this belt yesterday and I'm extremely happy with it.

I am using three different ring carriers for my Sabers, (I tend to hand out two and keep one for photos) do any of these count as D-rings or do I have to wear my covertec clip as well? Personally, I dislike my covertec clip, as I see it as a cruddy piece of plastic that cheapens the look of my beautiful solid leather and metal belt. I don't use covertec wheels and it will never have any more function than my pretty food capsules.

Tython Base Facebook Page
Tython Base Membership Officer
Tython Base founding Commanding Officer 2013-2014

Last edited by Fyr Mureys () on Thu May 29, 2014 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrift shop belt tutorial.

The other day I did the screen accurate method of procuring Jedi belts...
I went to an opportunity shop and, although there wasn't anything really fantastic, a couple showed some promise. On the way out I saw a couple of scary high heels with a nice buckle.

Here's the result;

I brutally weathered it with black dubbin.

In Episode I, most of the Jedi council members have this woven style belt, and really, only Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan use the style that would be standard from Episode II on. It seems they didn't really invest too much in the belts for the Council in the beginning, but when the second film introduced such a huge number of background Jedi, some uniformity was required, so they churned out dozens of what would become the "official" construction of the belt. You can see this in the change between Windu, Mundi, and Gallia in TPM versus Windu, Mundi, and Allie in AOTC - both of them get upgraded costumes that are much more regulated in design and accesories. Here are a few images of the same style of belt on the council members mentioned. As I mentioned previously, the original belts were obviously made from recycled belts, it is probable that the mass produced ones were brought in for the later movies as those members had a larger role. How could these belts be restricted to "Face Characters" only? I guarantee you that they wouldn't have been thrown out after the first movie, most likely these costumes ended up on extras, generic Jedi, in the later movies. Wardrobe departments are well documented as using such recycling!

Mace Windu

Ki-Adi-Mundi

So I've been asked by a few people to make a belt tutorial of these.

Here is the final belt I was approved in. It's a couple of thrift shop belts. Selecting your belts is a matter of hitting the stores or markets and finding ones in a good colour and size. Keep in mind the finish of it, as well, this one had a good polished leather look to it that was far better than the first one I made.

You're going to need;
Two plain leather or leather-look belts.
Hole punch, for a first attempt the cheap star type punches are ok.
Craft knife.
Rivets and riveting tool. These are available from craft shops, some hardware or leather shops.

This belt is a 6cm wide, the inner small belt is 1.5cm wide. The inner belt when I bought it was too short and 3cm wide, so I cut it in half to get the pieces I wanted. An easy task with a strap cutter, but possible with a craft knife, ruler and some care.

The belt buckle comes from some lovely shoes, and I really like the look of it. If you want a more classic look, go for a big square buckle like in the reference pics above, they may be on old men's shoes.

Here is a close up of the buckle area;

And here is one of the back of the same area;

Here is a side profile of the keeper and buckle area;

This is my new (non-woven) belt, where I did something similar without cutting through near the buckle;

This is a better way of doing it, I think. Each time I make one of these belts the technique improves.

So I visualise the concept of this belt like a pair of jeans. The big belt is the jeans, the small belt is a normal belt passing through belt loops at the waist in the jeans. So the woven section is narrow, like belt loops, most of the little belt is to the front. I use the original buckle to fasten the belt at the back, I hide this with a pouch when in use.

This is a WIP post, I'll edit more in later.

Mouse (Michael)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look amazing
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Michael!

Thomas' pouches;

Open

Back detail

Closed

On his belt.

Thomas' two pouches are more professional than mine. Wink His new Saber ring is displayed as well.

Thomas' pouches are very rigid and his work is meticulous... He's Austrian, it's his nature... Wink

Last edited by Fyr Mureys () on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap pouches;

These are made out of thin leather. Ok for approval, but heavier ones are preferable.

We made quite a few of these...

Last edited by Fyr Mureys () on Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Mouse (Michael)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man ill say it again they look amazing, really slick and authentic, i cant wait for mine!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pouches are rather rustic looking.

We've been working on perfecting these belt loops for sabers.

Some older work of mine, a leather Vambrace

Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started work on Michael's belt yesterday,

The keepers are the first thing to go on to hold the buckle in place.

The belt itself is riveted separately and the buckle threaded on.

And repeat for the next side.

Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Stretching boots in the freezer with a bag of water... Why didn't I think of that???

http://lifehacker.com/stretch-tight-shoes-with-a-baggie-of-water-in-the-freez-1640246360?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base -> Tython Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: