Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e3c6be44cf3dea2770ab14f966f54c16Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Is there a definitive A-wing CRL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Havoc ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Is there a definitive A-wing CRL? Reply with quote

We started working on our A-wing pilot uniforms and already seeing variations.
-In the polaroid from ROTJ it looks like a greeblie similar to that used on the scout trooper detonator is used on the front of the leggings.

-The helmet in the pictorial guide to Star Wars is missing the top shell.

-Many of the figures have completely (cooler looking) chest boxes than costume reference photos. They also have "Y" straps rather than "V" straps

-One photo has a ROTJ Y-wing pilot helmet on an A-wing costume

We're asking because we are hesitant to dive right in and invest time and money only to have to back peddle later when applying for approval.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards badly need updating...

You can get some ideas of what some of the parts look like by looking at pictures of the other pilots. A-wing, B-wing and Y-wing pilots share the same belt, ejection harness and gaiters (the harness is just attached differently on the pilots). The harness is one long piece that is folded in half, sewn behind the flak vest (or on top of the flak vest for B-wing pilots), and the straps have a metal slide below the knee that they feed through, the straps wrap around the front of the legs, and then the end of the straps get slid up under the back of the metal slide to keep them in place. I put a line of stitching and hid it under the slide so that the straps wouldn't loosen.

The A-wing pilot helmet should have the top piece, though you can use a Y-wing pilot helmet if you prefer, or an X-wing pilot is always acceptable. Though I always like to match the helmet to the pilot. Razz

The Hasbro human A-wing pilot figures are almost entirely inaccurate save for the helmets. The Mon Calamari A-wing pilot figure, however, is actually pretty good even though the flak vest colors got switched around. But honestly, never design an outfit based on a Hasbro figure because they're rarely very accurate. Hell, the Hasbro "Y-wing pilot" was just a B-wing pilot with a gray flightsuit and a Y-wing pilot helmet, and they painted the B-wing pilot chestbox solid black.

I haven't been able to figure out for certain what the black greeblies are on the side/front of the gaiters, though it looks like they're just 1" black side-release buckles like the ones used on the webbing chestbox straps on the flak vests, but I'm not completely sure, haven't found a picture that's clear enough to say for certain.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a definitive? No. Is there a best that we can do given the lack of enough clear reference materials? Yes. Are there variations? Yes. It's always a work in progress.

As for using figures as a reference ... DON'T ... EVER (unless it's backed up by something on screen). It'll just get you into trouble since most are made up or kit-bashed.

Johnny Havoc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use figures. Good advice except for when the 501st tries to convince you that you need a pouch on your Bossk costume citing its there on several figures and statues but no reference photos confirm it.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the 501st, but when it comes to Rebel pilot costumes, I doubt the Rebel Legion will ever suggest using an action figure for reference. As far as I know Hasbro has never made an accurate pilot figure of any of the Rebel pilots (X-wing, Y-wing A-wing or B-wing) and all of them have had some sort of major inaccuracy. Many of these inaccuracies never get fixed, either. Like the commpad on the X-wing pilot figures... The accurate, movie-used X-wing pilot suits don't have a strap going over the commpad, yet every X-wing pilot action figure over the past ten-ish years has had that. Even when Hasbro makes a completely new mold (like for the large Black Series figures) the commpad never gets fixed... Or how the A-wing, B-wing and Y-wing pilot action figures look like they're wearing sneakers with laces. The boots don't have laces!

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a definitive A-wing CRL? Reply with quote

Johnny Havoc wrote:
We started working on our A-wing pilot uniforms and already seeing variations.
-In the polaroid from ROTJ it looks like a greeblie similar to that used on the scout trooper detonator is used on the front of the leggings.

-The helmet in the pictorial guide to Star Wars is missing the top shell.

-Many of the figures have completely (cooler looking) chest boxes than costume reference photos. They also have "Y" straps rather than "V" straps

-One photo has a ROTJ Y-wing pilot helmet on an A-wing costume

We're asking because we are hesitant to dive right in and invest time and money only to have to back peddle later when applying for approval.

If you look closely there's even a pilot walking around the hangar in the "Come on, she's the fastest ship in the fleet" scene who's wearing an A wing suit, B wing chest box, and an X wing bucket.

ROTJ is......complicated.

Sidenote: I'm totally wearing that at C7 if I can get it done by then.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the costumes book out I hope those images for the A-wing make it here to influence present and future costumers. FINALLY we have good full photos!!!
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the pictures will improve costumes. And I'm sure that the standards will be improved in the future to reflect the new pictures as well. I've already made suggestions for standard revisions myself, though for the B-wing pilot.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: