Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1d13128bdca1d8a9238c4e39488e2ae9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bell's A-wing build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Bell's A-wing build Reply with quote

For the longest time i have liked the A-wing pilot.

Doing the costume has been a project of mine for the last year or so but to be honest it has till lately been on the back-burner and only quite recently have i been able to put any real thought or funds into the project.

That's not to say i haven't put a bit of time into researching the costume as i find that is quite fun. The A-wing on the other hand has been a pain to research as there are no really hand on heart good pictures. There are plenty of ok ones that show one or two different things but no good detail shots.

Till we actually get a good picture of the chest box i think it will always be up to the pilot to try and get as close as they can.

Right enough moaning. This is how far i have got up to. More progress to follow as this project is my current one so it's actually getting attention and funds.

Helmet:
Bought a helmet kit off a friend of mine from my base.

Spent a good weekend assembling and then slowly painting it up, just the weathering to do now. Wampa is in honour of are local wampa Tiny.

Soft flight helmet. Got a ANH 15 off ebay and it actually fits my head.

Mystery belt box. I'm going for the motorola belt boxes for my build, got a pair off ebay so i will use one for my costume.

Chest box: Custom one commissioned from a friend

Flightsuit. I'm at the moment drawing up my plans for that since i have my very talent Auntie Jackie who i prepared to have a go at modding to boiler suits into a flightsuit. Just trying to get the design nailed down. I haven't seen any eveidence of a comm apd pocket so that and a couple other pockets have been discarded, i'll post up the finished design.

Belt and ejection harness: Sending off to a friend for sewing. I've bought 2 inch white webbing that should do the job nicely. Also a nice big black buckle for the back.

Boot and gloves: I'm simply going to use the ones i have from my X-wing pilot

The only thing that i am having trouble with is the flak vest. Does anyone know what material i should use to make the vest out of? Or if a pattern of some sort exists. Any help would be great
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've got a pretty good start on this. Good luck!

Flak vest material... I think most people use a medium gray wool or felt that has white fibers in it, or at least that's what I usually see. The white "bib" I'm not sure what people use... White cotton I would imagine but I don't know for certain.

I know that the B-wing flak vest is made of a material that has bits of other colors in it but I'm not sure if the A-wing pilot vest is made from the same material or not. I finally found the material for the B-wing pilot, but I don't know if it would work for the A-wing pilot. To play it safe I would just go for the medium gray with white fibers.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the parts for my belt have arrived and have been passed on for sewing into the belt and harness, sort of ordered way too much.

While that is happening i shall, funds pending be moving onto the flightsuit.

After a fair bit of research into it i have sketched up what i think to be the ROTJ A-wing flightsuit.

I have found no evidence of there being a comm panel pocket, or for there being a pocket on the right arm. The code cylinder pocket is square and basically just a normal flightsuits pen pocket.
My thoughts on this are simply that the X-wing flightsuits were the leftovers from the previous films but for ROTJ new flightsuits for the other pilots were made up in this new pattern.
For my evidnece i present the following pictures:

Can't see a pocket

Square pen pocket

Feedback as always is welcome
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pocket on the A-wing and B-wing (and presumably Y-wing) pilot coveralls is, I believe, a military pen pocket, I've come to that conclusion as well. I've seen the pockets on military coveralls and they seem to match up fairly well with the RotJ suits. However, I don't see a zipper on them... So I think that either the zippers were removed from the suits or the sewers used a pattern for the pockets but did not put on the zippers.

Which I guess kind of makes sense... It seems like I remember hearing that George Lucas once said that there were no zippers in the Star Wars universe. 'Course, he also said there was no underwear... Razz

Here's a military one...

I've been trying to find a pattern for this type of pocket but I haven't found one yet. Most of the pocket looks fairly simple, but where it folds out at the bottom, that I'd like to have a pattern for...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MHG (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...where did you say you got that bucket from? Wink
A-Wing Pilot RotJ - RL
Rebel Fleet Officer - @RL
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i looked for a pattern and like you came up blank.

Yes i would say that the ROTJ flightsuits are different from the x-wing one.
I think that in time the standards should be changed or at least make it so people don't have the pocket on the right arm.

Heatshock. I think he bought a couple and then i bought one off him.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, here's your A-wing, Bell! Smile
Thought I'd interject with observations/opinions.....

First off, that looks like one of Frank/Ywingfighter's kits! Good kit, thats what we went with.

You might do just fine omitting the X-wing style chest and waist pockets too, on your flight suit. We did.... They seem to be missing from any canon sources. What I did for our squadron was just the long right shoulder pocket, code cylinder pocket on the left, went ahead and did commpad pockets (yeah, I know), and only one large cargo pocket on each thigh.

I answered you about the gear, namely the vest... Happy to make you one when you get measurements Smile
Yeah, as far as we can tell, A-wing and B-wing share the same vests, belt/harness, leggings, and soft flight helmet. The vests I make are a synthetic felt that looks nice and scratchy, with a canvas backing for stability.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
You might do just fine omitting the X-wing style chest and waist pockets too, on your flight suit. We did.... They seem to be missing from any canon sources. What I did for our squadron was just the long right shoulder pocket, code cylinder pocket on the left, went ahead and did commpad pockets (yeah, I know), and only one large cargo pocket on each thigh.

Where did you guys get your coveralls? Short of making them from scratch, the only ones I've found have hip pockets, which would be extremely difficult to remove.

And yeah, upper set of leg pockets are required, lower set optional but I wouldn't recommend them. As for chest pockets, it's hard to tell if the pockets are there as the flak vest pretty much covers them. I added a couple pockets to the chest of my B-wing pilot suit just so I had some storage. They're closer in so you don't see them, but it gives me a place to put some stuff. It's always nice to have pockets to put things in. Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Where did you guys get your coveralls? Short of making them from scratch, the only ones I've found have hip pockets, which would be extremely difficult to remove.

And yeah, upper set of leg pockets are required, lower set optional but I wouldn't recommend them. As for chest pockets, it's hard to tell if the pockets are there as the flak vest pretty much covers them. I added a couple pockets to the chest of my B-wing pilot suit just so I had some storage. They're closer in so you don't see them, but it gives me a place to put some stuff. It's always nice to have pockets to put things in. Razz

Pockets are good Smile We used Redcap spruce green coveralls. Yeah, I left the hip slash pockets in place, but removed the rest of the patch pockets of course (2 on chest, 2 on butt).
Massiff Squadron CO

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:

Pockets are good Smile We used Redcap spruce green coveralls. Yeah, I left the hip slash pockets in place, but removed the rest of the patch pockets of course (2 on chest, 2 on butt).
Ah. When you said "waist pockets" I thought you were talking about the hip pockets. So it got me curious. Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Cat O. ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on my vest right now. I got the material last winter by haunting the thrift stores. Finally found a heavy wool coat by Jones of NY for $15 that is the perfect colour — it's speckled and depending on the lighting shifts from a dark charcoal grey to a rusty dark brown.

It's a heavy wool, but still doesn't hang anything like whatever the heck sort of material the wardrobe department used. As construction proceeds, I'm going to try using an ultra-firm interfacing, that should improve and with luck match the hang of the fabric.
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the helmet! I can't wait to see the final outfit.

Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat O. wrote:
I'm working on my vest right now. I got the material last winter by haunting the thrift stores. Finally found a heavy wool coat by Jones of NY for $15 that is the perfect colour — it's speckled and depending on the lighting shifts from a dark charcoal grey to a rusty dark brown.

It's a heavy wool, but still doesn't hang anything like whatever the heck sort of material the wardrobe department used. As construction proceeds, I'm going to try using an ultra-firm interfacing, that should improve and with luck match the hang of the fabric.

Cat, not trying to flame you or anything, but i think the consensus on the vest material is that its a lighter gray and a woolen or felt type fabric.... What you have there looks like a plain-weave twill. Might not pass muster. You might show this to Jon Paulsen or one of the other judges to see what they think.
Massiff Squadron CO

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the current standards that material will pass. The standards call for charcoal or dark gray fabric, though lighter is definitely better despite these standards. Will the material pass when/if the standards are rewritten in the future? I'm not sure, but for the time being the material will pass.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now a couple of things to update.

Gaiters, done. Not by me, Scott made me up a pair in exchange for one of my pageboys

boiler suits are just about to be sent to my seamstress to be turned into a flightsuit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: