Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e8dbbcd14a0ccdb5057fe1f484980a80Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kevin's Chewie Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Kevin's Chewie Build Reply with quote

So I finally think I should post a message here. I am a member of the 501st (TR, TI) and have found that I LOVE building these costumes. (Not sure I am that good at it yet)

So I decided what the heck, I would build a Chewie. I have bought the platform boots (Demonia) and created a mesh suit based on directions here.

I ordered an Evil Chimp mask and Chewie-Changa toes (both of which are not here yet.) as well as a ton of Kankelon hair. Wink

Here is a shot of the latch hooking so far:

I would love any feedback. (The line in yarn is where grey hair would go)

Thanks!
Kevin
ZeroCooL ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin, welcome to the club :-)

Well done for choosing a great costume!!

One thing to keep in mind is your leg bump. The platforms will work a treat just make sure you conceal the bridge between your actual toes and your knees so that it blends in .

Your grey on the legs needs to come in a lot further. It's not just on the outside of the leg :-)

I can see your mesh ends at your knuckles. Extend that now whilst you still have a chance! You will need that to correct the proportions later on ;-)

*NOTE... For all you new builders, remember your hair is long. That means where you 'draw' your yarn shapes for defining the colours, isn't where your hair will end up. You have to aim [your hair length] in inches above your pattern. Your hair overlaps! **
secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Can you explain the bridge concept between my toes and the knee? how would I hide that?

As to the mesh on my hands, it actually goes past my hands, it is just pulled up here. Smile

Thanks!
Kevin
Johnny ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same boots and I'd advise going for the shortest toes you can do. As you can see from my build (and some others with these boots) by the time you add the toes the length makes our feet too long in appearance and it is difficult to do the bowlegged walk that Meyhew made famous, and also difficult to walk in at all (at least for me). If your going to buy your toes, make sure you cut any extra length off, I just cemented my Ryan Ricks toes on and regret not reducing them first. Also note that they only add about 5 inches to your height, not the 7 that they advertise. You can get another 3 or so inches from your mask so as long as your 6'4 or so you will get to the 7 foot mark.

I'm guessing Zero may be referring to flaring your suit out a bit starting from the knee so you don't get a "shelf" at the top of your boot. Try to balance as skinny as legs as possible (see movie photos) but transition the knee to top of foot so you don't get a flat top of boot look. Yours doesn't look too bad but it is difficult to see without a profile shot.
secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that makes sense. I have finished one leg's front with the grey. I made the adjustment to put it more on the front. I also took a side pic to get some advice on the foot bump. I really appreciate the help!!

Kevin

ZeroCooL ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much better Smile

as Johnny said, its to eliminate the shelf look. Yours isnt too bad, but i would still do it more so that it tapers off and doesnt look like a gigangtic foot! Smile

Grey still needs to come around more... it basically meets at the lowest point of the crotch

This is a pic for reference, though it does depend which film look you are going for

secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was going for the Revenge of the Sith look. While Chewie is WAY cooler in the original trilogy, I like the more brown look better.

Based on the reference pics on http://dev.thewretchedhive.com/. Specifically this one:
Wookiewannabe ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how tall are you without shoes? What is your height with the boots on?

Chewy Layers snow to print
secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6' - 6'1" without the shoes. With the shoes and the lifts I put in them, I am 6' 8". If needed, I was going to add some matting to the bottom of the boots.

Kevin
Johnny ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lifts are you using inside the boots? I tried a couple of lifts (including some that fit together like legos) to try to get closer to Meyhew's height, but could not get them to work with the boots. There just wasn't enough space left for my foot, or if there were the top of my foot would scream after only wearing for a minute or so. I thought with my skinny feet I could get them to work but it was a no go.
secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the following:

http://www.amazon.com/3-Layer-Height-Increase-Elevator-Insole/dp/8963293157/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1415124974&sr=8-6&keywords=shoe+lift

They are like legos when you put them together. They make it hard to zip the boots, but I bought a size bigger and if you push your heel as far back and away from the zipper as possible, they work. Smile I have not had problems walking in them.

Kevin
Johnny ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the exactly the ones I bought. I even took out the little air wedges without success. Perhaps my problem is that since I wear a size 13 shoe, I couldn't go with a 14. I can make them work on lace up shoes and my vader Chippewas but not these Frankenstyle ones. I'm glad you figured them out.
secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have finished the front of the pants and gotten one leg all the way to where the grey starts on the back. (I will post pictures tomorrow after working on it some more.)

On that note, any thoughts on where I can get a pattern for the satchel?

thanks!
Kevin
secureideas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now finished the front and one leg in the back. (I leave in a couple hours for the airport for work, so will be slowing down.)

Wookiewannabe ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any progress updates?

Chewy Layers snow to print
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: