Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=753ef1db60a9045f3bc88f00eb455876Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Leia Senatorial Gown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atradia (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: ANH Leia Senatorial Gown Reply with quote

Well, I took the plunge on Leia and began my senate gown.

I tracked down some white polyester interlock that I really like for the fabric and bought it in 60". I then bought some practice fabric to make my pattern, also in 60". I pinned out the whole pattern, and well, I think may be too short on my arms!! Any suggestions on how to lengthen the arms or should I just go for it and hope for the best? I think it might be just an inch or a half too short.

Looking for boots I wanted to make sure they would be approvable. I like these ones but I'm afraid they may be too "scrunchy."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STYLE-WOMENS-SLOUCH-FLAT-WINTER-BOOTS-P2G-2-COLORS-SLIP-ON-SHOES-/320965767826?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes&var=510079591674&hash=item4abb0cf292

I'd like to use leather for the belt, to keep it sturdy, but in all the forums I've read I haven't seen any suggestions on what leather to use. Any direction would be helpful.

I've got the hair figured out

Thanks for any help I can get!
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For arm length, I think the only thing you can do is change from the standard T pattern to adding a waist seam. This way you can make the arms as long as you need, and then you can hide the waist seam under the belt. I'd recommend adding some elastic to the waist, just to make sure it always sits at your natural waist.

Does that make sense? If it doesn't, I can sketch some pictures to show what I mean.

Per leather, I just use Tandy Leather's tooling sides. They're a great weight for belts, and work better for Leia than any of the straps they offer. The straps aren't really wide enough to do the full point in the front. For a belt, you can do a single shoulder, which should only run you about $30, or less if they're having a sale.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Atradia (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

What about the boots I linked, anyone have any thoughts on those? Too scrunchy or okay?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For slouchy boots, those are not terrible, but I would worry about them slouching more over time, or more than you see in that photo. I don't love them, but I think that is the far extreme of what I would consider approvable. If they turned out to be more slouchy than that in person, you might not pass, so that's a risk.

I know that good Leia boots are super hard to find though, and those are the right height and everything. They just look a bit sloppy around the ankles.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most screen-accurate Leia boots I've seen start at $250.

I heard that marching boots work wonders because they're designed to stand up for long hours.
Base Membership Officer 2017
kwills (Kimberly Wills-Starin)
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the link anymore, but my Leia was approved with flat zipper white boots that I found with straps, and I cut the straps off really well so no strap stubs were visible. I got them on ebay for about $30. At some point I intend to buy good white vinyl and make new cuffs, so there's at least a seam around the top of the boot 2/3 the way up. I tried making boot covers once with the vents and everything but they really didn't work out for me
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the PATTERN dress I'm working on (so I can fool around with is before making the real cut)

Think it's too baggy? Should I take it in at the arms a bit more? My final fabric is MUCH longer in the arms so don't freak on the length. I measured and it will reach to the knuckles.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say something about the sleeve length, but fwew. My bed-sheet mock-up was short like that too.

Honestly, you want your dress to be a bit baggy so you can blouse it around the waist. Sleeves aside, I think the proportions you have now are great. It will look much more natural in your final white fabric, which will have some more flow to it.

kwills (Kimberly Wills-Starin)
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take it in. Bear in mind that very stretchy polyester will eventually stretch out in the sleeves and length of the dress. You can pre-stretch it some by hanging it over a door for a few days first. It'll help keep the seams even later if the fabric starts pulling a bit.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've scoured the internet for hours upon hours. I walked the malls in our area and come up empty! I've found two more pairs of boots online that I like but, again not sure. I don't want to buy without knowing for sure they'd work.

These are the most "straight/solid" I've seen. although no black bottom I think they'd still pass. I'd be removing the belt.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121416496611?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=420353018852&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or

I like these better because of the black. Again I'd be removing the belt parts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-Riding-Boots-Knee-High-Motorcycle-Sweater-Biker-Flat-Tall-Equestrian-Knit-/350924912582?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes&var=620243944793&hash=item51b4c137c6

Thanks for all your input! I cut out my polyester fabric tomorrow!! It's been stretching all day today/tonight. Then I head to Tandy on Saturday for, hopefully, a good deal on leather.
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the second choice, I do recognize them since I've been looking at them myself. The problem for me with the first pair is the small wedge heel on them. I also try to avoid any kind of heel that gives extra height to the wearer. Remember that Carrie Fisher is short (5 ft 1in/ 155 cm) and when I wear my Leia costumes I try to wear footwear that is as flat as possible. It gives good proportions when I'm standing next to our Han, Luke or Vader. (not so hard for me either since I'm not much taller than Carrie)
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Johanna on that one, the second one is somewhat closer, being flatter. And, you're right, the back is better, even if you have the sock thing going on.

Atradia (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having some issues getting my collar sewn on. I have the hood basted on but the collar just seems flimsy. Is there like a certain amount of height the collar needs to go? I may just throw something on the inside to keep it stiff but didn't know if it had to be like two inches high or something.

thanks! Will update with pictures soon
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just back it with a little iron-on interfacing, that should solve all your collar droop problems. Smile

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Atradia (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my belt going today! Woot woot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: