Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e856cee3d121ba27aa8812dd7de8b0deMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Slave Leia- Undergarment Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Slave Leia- Undergarment Options Reply with quote

As an LCJ for Slave Leia, I am frequently asked questions about what options there are for undergarmets (especially by Dads who are building this costume for their daughter! Lol.)

Although it may seem challenging at first, there are plenty of options to choose from so that you can feel comfortable wearing underwear, and not having to worry about any sudden gusts of wind! Laughing

Here are some of the most common underwear options:
-Strapless adhesive thong panties. These are my personal preference, and the adhesive is strong enough to last for a whole day. You can buy these at Walmart in the undergarment section for usually less than $8. I don't recommend washing them, so I always use a brand new one each time I wear this costume.
-C-string panties- These are basically thongs, but with no side straps and a cup to hold it to your body. I have never tried this, but I have heard that they work wonderfully.
-Transparent/clear strapped panties- These are very similar in appearance to the clear straps that you see on dresses and blouses, except in the form of underwear. I have never tried these, but I heard that they work great. The only downside is that sometimes the straps are visible when getting close-up.
-Built in fabric underwear- This method has always interested me and someday I will try it. Basically, this involves making underwear out of the same fabric you used for your skirt and connecting it to the front and back skirt plates to make "built-in" underwear. A plus to this is that you can make this large enough to cover some of your buttocks, whereas the strapless adhesive panties or the c-string function like a thong and do not cover the buttocks. You can probably make this the same width as your back plate (but keep in mind that the back plate width gets thinner towards the bottom edge of the plate.)

I am sure that there are many more great options to choose from, but I just wanted to share the most common ones for now Smile I hope this helps aspiring Leia costumers!

**Just remember: Although it would be more screen accurate to not wear underwear (as Carrie lacked while filming), it is a good idea to wear underwear underneath this costume to public events to avoid any embarrassment, and to wear for your own health protection.

MTFBWY! Slave Leia
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built in my bikini bottom on the skirt panels, but I still have to do more because it feels loose around my private parts.

Keep in mind that some conventions (at least Phoenix Comicon does) have guidelines for costumes, and this past year the standard was that women's underwear must cover 60% of the buttocks. And skirt panels tend to be very flowy when walking around or during a windy day.

I tried a thong from Victoria's Secret that comes in three skin tones and it was awesome to not even notice it on the sides, but I was outside during a windy day and it wasn't very awesome when the wind lifted my skirts and the AZ Ghostbusters could see straight to Florida.
Base Membership Officer 2017

Last edited by Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera) on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the create your own, but I didn't attach it to the plates...
I took the closest flesh tone fabric I could find and created the side loops in the same shape as the oval metal panels. I use the double sided toupee tape to secure it. Hopefully that make sense.

I do have another question along these same lines: Would flesh toned dance tights work if they were shaped at the top to mimic the line of the plates?
Cleo622 (Chloe Ey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Leia Underwear Reply with quote

Hi there,
Yes the ongoing underwear debacle lol

I generally wear a thong underneath my skirt that has very thin straps so you cant see it on the side .
I then take double sided fabric tape and tape down the skirt to my butt and some on the sides. This has been super helpful and keeps the skirt from flying everywhere. The tape lasts all day and is super sticky. I Haven't had any incidents yet with this method . I guess you can say im "sticking" to it.

You can buy the tape pretty much any where that has an underwear or fabric department. Joannes, victorias secret, target, etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: