Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=42be0596f2a218672a57ade7df2a7c5fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The Droids Are Coming to Mos Eisley!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That paint looks pretty good!

FYI: During filming at times when they were shooting R2 in front of a bluescreen, they had to use a different color paint that wouldn't fade out in the finished scene.
Some scenes where R2 is mounted in the X-wing flying in space, his panels were actually painted a black color.

David L.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are looking really good - both 3-PO and R2. so excited these will be coming to Mos Eisley in the future.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's been a little too long since we've had an update. Not that things haven't been happening; there's been A LOT going on!! So I'll start with a look at how I built the Process Status Indicators (PSIs). I used two different diameters of PVC pipe to cut the housings and ended up cutting some 1/8" white, translucent plexi for the diffusion material. I glued the plexi into the PVC tube and lined the tube with silver foil tape to help increase the reflective quality and hopefully brighten the LEDs. Here's a picture looking into the tube from the back end:

Next, the diamond pattern lenses were siliconed onto the front of the PVC tube. For the front PSI, I used the plastic night-light lens in the photo I posted earlier in this thread. The one in the rear is a larger diameter. For that one I found a bulb at Home Depot with a lens that had the correct diameter. I smashed away the body of the bulb, leaving only the glass lens. Here's a shot of that being glued into the PVC housing:

The PVC had to be ground down just slightly around the inside diameter in order for the lens to fit down inside it. Next, we cut a second piece of plastic to the inside diameter of the PVC tube and drilled holes into it to mount the LEDs, which were then glued in place, as seen here:

That piece was then glued into the rear of the tube. The most importatn part of this process was getting the right distance between the bulb and the diffusion lens, to achieve just the right diffusion. Too close, and the bulbs still show "hot spots;" too far back and they lose brightness. They really came out nicely though. Here are a few pics:

Next time we'll look at the process of installing them into the dome, but in the meantime, I think Andy might have some updates on our golden friend...

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
HeloTrooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I do, Captain Solo...

I can finally say that I've got all the various pieces and parts in hand to finish this build. Thank the Maker!

It's been a long, long stretch of patience to travel awaiting the final pieces to make the journey back to the workshop table. Kinda like wandering the Dune Sea...

I'm now fumbling around with the supporting infrastructure - leg connectors, belly wires, connections points for chest and back, head assembly. There seems to be a laundry list of tedious little things to get past before we can get the suit fully assembled onto Max (my son). Sadly, I could never wear this rig.

I have a few pics to post and will do so later this evening. My fondest hope is that it's finished in time for Celebration Anaheim.

Thanks all for checking back and keeping tabs on the impending droid arrival in Mos Eisley!

May 25th, 1977... our lives were changed forever.
HeloTrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some various shots capturing the different elements, and some initial fitting pix...

May 25th, 1977... our lives were changed forever.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This costume looks UNBELIEVEABLE!! I just CAN'T WAIT to see R2 and 3PO together!!

So now that the PSI housings are complete, it's time to mount them. This was accomplished by mounting some custom-made metal brackets inside the dome:

The brackets were mounted with console screws. The screws were very short, but still came through to the front side of the dome:

To fix that problem, the screw was ground down:

Until it was flush with the inner dome:

Obviously, that left a very noticeable spot on the dome, but that will be covered by the outer dome once they are nested together. Once all the brackets were mounted inside the dome, the PSI housings were slipped into the brackets and secured with a hose clamp. We used a hose clamp instead of screws to prevent any shadows from screws poking through the PVC housing from showing up in the finished PSI:

Now it's time to start the process of nesting the domes. We started by placing the blue ring around the base of the head. The ring fits incredibly tightly around the inner dome, so we used a block of wood and a hammer to get it to slide down to the base of the inner dome:

Next, we pressed the outer dome down over the inner dome. These things next together extremely tightly, so making sure they were properly aligned before pressing them together was critical. Once we confirmed alignment, we pressed as evenly as possible from all around the dome until the outer one nested correctly over the inner:

We removed the PSI while we nested the domes, so they are not visible in the picture, but we're staring to see what looks like a very familiar little astromech droid.

Next time, I'll glue in the remaining blue panels, get the PSIs permanently mounted, and mount the logic surrounds and lights.

Getting closer...
R2 D2

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all the pieces have been put together, the lights installed, and R2's head is now complete!!

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth a thousand pictures. So, without further ado, here's R2:

http://vid985.photobucket.com/albums/ae333/bri08971/IMG_0315_zpsuxd9prq8.mp4

I really want to give MAD PROPS to my friend RFTJon for all the help and assistance he provided!! From fabricating and installing the brackets for the PSIs to improving the wiring on the lights he was instrumental in this build, and R2 would be nowhere with out him.

Thank you Jon!!

Next, it's time to move on to the body...

R2 D2

hammsterdam1943 (Joel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3PO and D2 are coming along nicely. I cant wait to see more.
ghalgor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing more as I have just taken the very first (but small step) of building my own R2.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!! Another R2 on board!! I should be starting some work on the body here pretty soon.

I hope you'll post some WIP shots here, but remember R2 is not actually approvable in the RL as he's not "technically" a costume.

(Although until you put electronics in him I suppose he could be if you could find someone small enough to fit inside...)

Good luck with your build!!

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking really really promising!

• UCGR - DXO 2015

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dianne!! It's feeling pretty promising as well.

So, now that the dome is basically complete, it's time to get some serious work done on the body this weekend. To start with, these laser-cut aluminum gems arrived a couple of weeks ago:

Really awesome looking skins, so R2 will have aluminum dome and body. As for the main part of his body, I decided to go with a hollow wooden cylinder instead of building a frame as most builders do. It seemed like a fast and easy approach that would be pretty structurally sound and give a good base for the skins. This is the cylinder I bought from a cabinet company called Tapease:

The cylinder is really nice and more than one person has marvelled at how well it was made. Seems a shame to cut it up...but I'm going to anyway!!

Before that, though, I cut and installed a cap on what will be the bottom.

This will be where I will secure the center leg and the skirt. Lastly, you can see here how much of the cylinder will need to be removed in order to fit the skins:

It's about 8" too long, so I will run it through a table saw to trim it down. Tomorrow, we'll use a jigsaw to cut the holes in the cylinder to place the center vents, data port, utility arms, ports and couplers.

More to come...

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! You are hired!

• UCGR - DXO 2015

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a few shots from the build this past weekend. First, here is the Tapease cylinder cut down to the size of the skins and marked for where it needs to be cut out:

Next, after about an hour and a half of careful cutting and removing the door hatch sections from the outer skins, here is the cylinder and both the inner and outer aluminum skins (along with some various bits and pieces removed from the cylinder and outer skins):

Finally, around 3 and a half hours later, the inner and outer skins layered together and riveted to the wooden cylinder:

Throughout the course of the day, Jon and I repeatedly commented on what a pain R2 is. It's no wonder 3PO gets annoyed with him!! Next step now is to JB Weld the door hatches back onto the skins and place the center vents, ports and couplers. My utility arms are a bit wonky also, so there's some work to do to rig them up so they'll work.

Marching on...

hammsterdam1943 (Joel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any droid updates since you cant walk outside in Mos Eisley?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: