Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c0dea1c94bdf7b630b0319e66659a7b4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia wig and belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephalé ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Leia wig and belt Reply with quote

Hey people

I'm in the middle of making Leia's ANH dress. I'm done with the dress, I have the boots, but missing two things:

The hair and the belt.

Since I'm a perfectionist (My hair is light brown and can't dye it - and it's very long), so I want to wear a wig.
But where can I find one? Or how to style it? Arda-wigs have a wig called 'Leia' - can it be used and is it easy to style?

And where can I find the belt (I don't have the possibility to make it by myself)
I apologize, if there is already a topic about it.

I'm so proud with the dress, so I want to show a WIP picture of it!
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread might help you with your wig research:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16412
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arda wig "Leia" is a good start if you are going to style a Leia wig. To get the fullness of Leia's buns correct, though, you will probably want to also get matching wefts from them to add to each of the pigtails. Leia's buns have about twice the thickness of natural human hair in them.

There are options for using your own hair, at least in part, as well. I also have fairly light brown hair, and use my own natural part plus matching "insta-buns" made out of wig extensions pinned over my very short pigtails. So far, no one has ever given me a hard time at events that I am considerably blonder than the original Leia. Otherwise, I know of a lot of blonder Leia's that use the "burnt brown" temporary hair color spray that you can find at Sally's Beauty Supply to spray on their natural hair while attaching fake buns.

If you have longer hair and want to actually use it in your own buns, you can get extensions (either in burnt brown to match the temporary spray or matching your natural hair color) and pin them in with your own pigtails, then twist the fake hair with your real hair together into Leia buns. This will give you the thickness and volume needed for Liea's buns.

Most of the other insta-bun techniques don't allow as much space under the fake buns for lots of hair.

As to belts, I know there are several sellers on etsy.com that make custom Leia belts, so that may be a place to start looking.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Nephalé ()

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
leia81us (Cindy Brandon)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Need Leia belt too for ANH Dress Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am also looking for a nice real leather white belt for this outfit
CEGrant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.etsy.com/listing/158439669/princess-leia-belt-star-wars?ref=shop_home_active_1

Belt?

Last edited by CEGrant () on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise against the belt in the etsy listing. The center plate is the wrong shape, and it should not be made out of suede leather. I would not want to see someone pay $85 for something that is not approval.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. For that price you should be able to find a leather belt and something more accurate. The center piece seems to extend over the edge of the belt.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
CEGrant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. This is worrisome. I posted that belt weeks ago in my WIP thread and didn't get any heads up on it.

I've already ordered it but I guess it's a loss.
EDIT: Okay, I found another option.

It does indeed have 7 plates. Is this approvable then? I don't mean to bug you guys, just trying to get this figured out as it is pretty much the last thing I need to nail down. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CEGrant () on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry we missed your thread earlier. This belt has a similar problem of being cut straight across the top without any kind of V or dip on the top edge.

I have approved multiple SewCorellian belts in the past, and unless she has changed her shape, it should be passable. Do you have that belt already in hand?

Here (copy and paste these links) http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/ceremony2a.jpg you can see that the belt dips noticably on the top, giving it a soft V shape.

You see a similar shape here: http://www.padawansguide.com/leia_newhope/pages/leia_newhope3.htm (copy and paste link).

While it does not need to be a severe V, we do need to see a distinct dip in the top and the belt coming to a point on the bottom.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
CEGrant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay. I'm just struggling trying to find one. Smile This is my first costume, and I don't know that I appreciated the difficulties involved when I started. Definitely a learning process!

SewC. doesn't have any belts up on the shop atm, but I'll message her and see if I can order one. Thank you so much for your prompt feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: