Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8bcbe5aac122e88086334021709d8fe2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Leia Build Feedback Needed Please!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megajelly ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Hoth Leia Build Feedback Needed Please! Reply with quote

Greeting everyone! Thank you for taking time to help us.

My awesome Mother-In-Law and I are putting together a Hoth Leia costume as a surprise for my wife's birthday. How cool is that?

Anyway, I hope she posts the costume build because it's amazing. I am working on the rank badge and arm comm and would like any feedback please!

I got the arm comm from Vince at Corellian Exports. I painted it, weathered it, and put resin in the lower buttons. I should not have put resin in the middle hole but I kinda was on a resin roll.

There are so many variations on the colors of the arm comm it seems and we discovered that the exhibit pics DO NOT have the upper silver buttons on them. The paint under where they were is a reddish pink and threw me off for like a month.

So are these props costume standard and acceptable? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Here is the arm comm progression. The upper left is the raw piece and the bottom right is a screen shot from ESB:

Here is the final product:

I will post the rank badge later. Thanks guys!
megajelly ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Rank Badge Reply with quote

Here is the rank badge painted. The lower right is the exhibit pic:

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those paint jobs look great to me! You could weather the batch a bit more to match your arm comm, but it isn't necessary. I can't wait to see the rest in progress.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
StarWarsDave (Dave Turnbull)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comm paint job is great! For the rank badge, should it be more pewter/flat silver than gray? I am not a Hoth Leia expert, but I know I painted the same badge for my Hoth Han, and I used flat silver. Also each button should be a different color. I believe one of the red ones should be orange, and not sure what the other blue one should be. You will have to look at some close-ups. So far, just have this:

http://s133.photobucket.com/user/ladarkangel/media/hoth4.jpg.html

Buttons look different colors, but cannot tell on whether gray or flat silver. In other pics it looks more silver.
www.facebook.com/SWDsCosplay
www.starwarsdave.com
megajelly ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarWarsDave wrote:
The comm paint job is great! For the rank badge, should it be more pewter/flat silver than gray? I am not a Hoth Leia expert, but I know I painted the same badge for my Hoth Han, and I used flat silver. Also each button should be a different color. I believe one of the red ones should be orange, and not sure what the other blue one should be. You will have to look at some close-ups. So far, just have this:

http://s133.photobucket.com/user/ladarkangel/media/hoth4.jpg.html

Buttons look different colors, but cannot tell on whether gray or flat silver. In other pics it looks more silver.

Dave, thanks for the input. You are correct, I should have caught that. I changed the silver to flat steel and made the red button more orange. Much better!

megajelly ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Hoth Leia Boots Reply with quote

Here are the boots. Any feedback is most welcome!

megajelly ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhibit reference photo:

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shape and detailing on your boots looks great. They look pretty dark gray though, in comparison to the exhibit photo. Is that just the lighting?

I am also curious what kind of shoe/boot you used as a base here, as it is a costume I am looking into doing soon myself. Mr. Green

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm the mother in law helping build this Hoth costume. It has been an adventure, stressful and fun. The boots were my boots from several years ago. I bought them at Opry Mills in Nashville before the floods. The brand name on the inside says Impo Stretch. Just happens my daughter and I wear the same size shoe. In the beginning I was going to add just straps until I read the forums and found out the photo I was using was a promo and not in movie at all. The rebel legion has kept me pretty much on the right path. Thank you all for the helpful info. I would be lost without the help. The Hoth boots are not as dark in person but I do fear they may be darker than the legion will accept, but I am hoping they will pass. I bought a gray leather coat at thrift store and used it for straps and covers. I sent my son in law a pic of boots before I changed them. He will post it for you. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Thank you all.
Soon to be mother in law of a storm trooper Smile)
megajelly ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Original Boots. Reply with quote

Here are the original and early boot pics:

megajelly ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Those paint jobs look great to me! You could weather the batch a bit more to match your arm comm, but it isn't necessary. I can't wait to see the rest in progress.

Thank you for that suggestion (weathering the badge) I think that is a great idea now that you pointed that out!
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is phenomenal. The side by sides are great and your progress is awesome!!

in the original it looks a bit lighter as well. Im going to go grab my Original Trilogy book and look and see if there are some side by sides, will report back! Smile Looks great though!

Edit: Ok so taking a look at the original boots from the Starwars costumes "the original trilogy" The boots are a shade darker than the pants and the boot straps (only) are a shade darker than that. Keep in mind that is just if your going for sheer pure accuracy.

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info. I looked for that book here in Huntsville, Alabama and no one had it in stock. I will have to order it. I do want to try to be as accurate as I can with the resources I have. I think the snow suit came out pretty good, but since it is a surprise, I don't know how it will fit her. I'm almost done with the vest and my son in law is sending me the badge and arm comm he painted to attach to the pieces. I used the dwr supplex that padme sky walker recommended and it it the perfect fabric for this build. My daughter's birthday is in February and we are really excited to give this to her. He ordered the wig from a a place recommended on one of the forums. Like I said, we have depended heavily on the forums and the legion website to keep us on track. If the boots don't pass when she registers, At least I have a second back up pair of same boot and could redo the second pair if I needed to.
Thanks much.
ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW and more WOW. I just clicked on your blog spot. That costume is to die for. Unbelievable.
megajelly ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Suit Build Pics Reply with quote

Here are some suit build pics. Ttlee will have to comment since I don't know the steps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: