Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=87b9e13ae25f248101700f2eb6fbb773Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Leia Build Feedback Needed Please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on this costume as well Smile

The boots are actually much darker in the movie and it's promo images- I think that exhibit just had really bright lighting.
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
ttlee2 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the movie last week in blu ray and was concentrating so hard on the snow suit details that I didn't even pay attention to the color of her boots. I've spent two and a half months on this build, about six hours a day, most of that time making lots of mistakes, miscalculations, and using up yards of cheap fabrics to sew mock ups. When I finally decided to cut into the real fabric it was frightening, knowing I couldn't run to a store and replace it if I ruined it. Of course I hope it fits her, but I have learned so much during this process I know I can remake any part of it again if I need to. I even learned what a princess seam was and how to move darts. Smile I'm really glad I decided to give it a try.
I finished vest today, but I think I made the collar too fat. I may try to fix that.

I just checked my records and I've only been on this project for two months. Wonder why it seems longer than that? Ha ha

Last edited by ttlee2 () on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebel Legion Reserve

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good promo picture of this costume, the boots look like a medium gray color here:

My boots look a bit darker, I think I may want to paint them a lighter gray than what they are. I found a good paint brand that is specially formulated for leather (I used this brand on my Leia belts) and it works very well! Smile

Here are my boots (I haven't finished the right boot though, I hope to soon.)

ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look fantastic. How did you get the top of boot to look like that? I need to do something about mine but didn't know how to go about it. And what kind of paint will you use if you lighten them. I may have to lighten mine if the judges think they are too dark. Snow suit looks great, the part I saw above the boot Smile
Rebel Legion Reserve

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hand stitched the piece of gray pleather on top of the boot Smile It takes a lot of patience haha. I didn't want to risk gluing it, so I think that the hand stitching was the safest option.
ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks so good. I might just save that for my daughter to do. Definitely better than gluing it down.
megajelly ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Vest Reply with quote

Here is the vest picture:

ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am concerned about the vest being ecru instead of cream. I tried dyeing the white and made a mess out of my samples so I panicked and ordered this oyster supplex fabric, hoping it would be lighter. The exhibit pictures of vest seem to be of similar color and I've seen some others that are like this but I don't know that they have been approved by the legion. I still have two yards of the white supplex left, providing the snow suit does not need to be taken apart because of fitting issues once she tries it on. Any opinions about color?
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question regarding the attachment of the arm communicator. She is wearing the arm communicator while at Echo Base, but she is not while on the Falcon and is also not when escaping from Bespin.
In order to use the same suit for Hoth Leia and Bespin Escape Leia, how does everyone attach the arm communicator so that it can be easily detached without messing up the suit, so one can do both versions?
Also, should the arm communicator be an optional item since Leia only wears it part of the time she is in her Hoth gear?

As for the vest coloring, I had the same question. Just at first glance, the oyster supplex looks a bit too dark, but I would like feedback from the judges. It's been a while since I was a Leia costume judge Laughing

Finally, for the boots, the standards say gray, and some reference pictures indeed look gray, but the boots on display don't and look to be a light taupe color even. With that in mind, I would think that a range of shades would be allowed regarding the boot color for that very reason.
Also, what wedge heel height range is acceptable these days for the boot?
Rebel Legion Reserve

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the arm communicator, I am using the flat back adhesive safety pins Smile

I used ivory dye for my vest- it looks like a nice cream color now Smile

I agree about the boots. It's important to know that some of the parts on display aren't the same that were used in the movie- for example, Slave Leia's boots and bra suede fell apart a long time ago and what is seen on displays and exhibits now are not the original.

I personally feel the same about Hoth Leia's boots- the ones used in the movie are much darker than the ones seen on exhibits.
ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was sewing the Velcro to the arm patch yesterday, I was thinking what a mess it will be to seam rip the Velcro off the patch to change suit into Bespin. I didn't know there was such a thing as flat backed safety pins. Are they something you would find at a Michaels craft store? They would have been the perfect choice. And about the ivory dye, all I found was tan. I tried mixing tan with tiny bit yellow which was a failure. Where did you buy the ivory dye? If the oyster colored vest doesn't get accepted, I would be needing to buy the ivory dye you used to make a second vest.
Just a note to my son in law--you did a fantastic job on the badge and the arm com. I can't wait to see her open this very special gift next month. Can we move her birthday to tomorrow? Smile
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Liz Fett wrote:
For the arm communicator, I am using the flat back adhesive safety pins Smile

I used ivory dye for my vest- it looks like a nice cream color now Smile

I agree about the boots. It's important to know that some of the parts on display aren't the same that were used in the movie- for example, Slave Leia's boots and bra suede fell apart a long time ago and what is seen on displays and exhibits now are not the original.

I personally feel the same about Hoth Leia's boots- the ones used in the movie are much darker than the ones seen on exhibits.

If I remember right, she actually had two pairs of boots in the movie. If you watch closely, the height of the heel changes from scene to scene.
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttlee2 wrote:
As I was sewing the Velcro to the arm patch yesterday, I was thinking what a mess it will be to seam rip the Velcro off the patch to change suit into Bespin. I didn't know there was such a thing as flat backed safety pins. Are they something you would find at a Michaels craft store? They would have been the perfect choice. And about the ivory dye, all I found was tan. I tried mixing tan with tiny bit yellow which was a failure. Where did you buy the ivory dye? If the oyster colored vest doesn't get accepted, I would be needing to buy the ivory dye you used to make a second vest.
Just a note to my son in law--you did a fantastic job on the badge and the arm com. I can't wait to see her open this very special gift next month. Can we move her birthday to tomorrow? Smile

My friend who has the costume has two normal large safety pins epoxied on the back of the arm piece. It seems to work quite well.

Looking for dyes, I always recommend Dharma trading. I have very good results with their dyes and they have over 100 colors.
ttlee2 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Dharma Smile
megajelly ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally the rank badge and arm comm meet the vest and suit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: