Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=24cf211f136d7787e062742bc2408287Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Geonosis Arena Outfit Tutorials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Padme Geonosis Arena Outfit Tutorials Reply with quote

Hello all!

I think Padme's geonosis arena outfits is probably one of her most iconic and recognizable costumes. The hair is a bit tricky, so I wanted to make a tutorial on how I did mine Smile

Reference images for Padme's hair:

Since my old hairpiece got frizzy and worn out from trooping in it so often, I decided to redo it this past weekend. I used the same method and same materials, but with new ones because the old ones were worn out.

Materials that I used:
-Medium width hair curler tubes (you can find these at Sally Beauty Supply.) All together, I used 5, but you can certainly use more.
-Kanekalon Jumbo braid. Yaki hair ponies are also great, but this time I bought the Kanakelon because it was cheaper lol.
-Hair ties/rubber bands
-Hair spray
-Super glue and tape
-Scissors
-Bobbi pins (when tying together and onto your hair.)

Steps to making the hair piece:

1. Take out about 4-6 hair curlers. I decided to glue three together, then take another two and glue those together. You will see a plastic piece at the end of the curlers. Cut these out before you glue the curlers together. Use super glue to glue the curlers together (I added tape over the bond just in case the glue ever fails at a troop.) I do not recommend gluing anymore than 3 curlers together, because then it will be more difficult to bend them all in place. That is why I glued 3 curlers together, then glued the remaining 2 curlers together, making two separate pieces.

2. Now you will take out your hair extensions, and tightly coil the hair around the curlers. I left hair remaining at the ends, so you can tie them to the end of the curlers. Then, I left a piece of hair hanging off, and that piece you will carefully wrap around the exposed curler (you can glue this piece around it since it will be difficult to tie it around.) Make sure that there is a small loop of hair left over so that you can bobbi pin the pieces to your hair later. Then, once the hair is tied/glued on, spray it with a strong hair spray to keep it in place.

3. Once the hair is coiled and secured onto the pieces, it is time to now bend them into loop shapes and arrange them in a bun-like effect.

And your hairpiece is complete! Mr. Green (Just remember to occasionally coil the pieces and apply more hairspray on, which is probably what I need to do after the troop last night.)

Applying your hair piece on:

1. Part your hair in the middle.

a. If your hair is short, you can tie it at the nape of the neck and use your hairpiece to cover it.
b. If your hair is long, you can tie your hair in a pony tail at the nape of the neck and use part of it as a bun and other pieces to create additional tiny loops (this is what I do with my hair.)

3. Secure your hair piece onto your hair with bobbi pins, putting the pins between your real hair and the small ends of hair on the curler pieces.

4. Pin any stray pieces of hair securely into the bun.

Here is what my Padme arena hair looks like:

Random photos that I grabbed from our recent troop:

Soon I want to take some better quality photos of the back view. I hope this tutorial is a helpful one! Smile

MTFBWY and Happy New Year! white battle padme
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Mosi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tutorial!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Liz! I think I'm going to move this into the tutorial section so that people can find it more easily. Mr. Green

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both so much! Smile Thanks Jenna, I should have posted here in the first place!

I need to reduce the frizz on my hairpiece and then post some better quality photos soon Mr. Green
Dark Queen ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i use Kanekalon jumbo braid for my Leia Endor build? I'm getting a wig but will need extra braid/s... and how many?
thanks
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether you are using a wig that is already in ponytail form, which will save you from needing to put wefts along the bottom to avoid bald spots, or whether you are just adding to the braids of an already ponytailed wig for how much you will need. If just the braids, one pack should be enough, but if you are also wefting, you may need a second.

Kankalon Jumbo Braid is kinkier than most wig fibers. It works great for extensions, buns, and so on because it is light and has a lot of volume. However, if you are wefting to a wig, you will want to use a silky fiber, to match the fibers on the wig.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna is right, I only use these for my Padmé arena hair extensions because they are good for coiling around the tubes.

For Endor Leia's hair, you can use a wig and use the wig's hair to make the braided buns in the back, and probably use some extensions for the braids on top of her head. For braids, I recommend using the hair from Yaki Pony extensions. Those are very sleek and gorgeous, and best of all easy to work with Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure your wig and extensions match in color. There are often differences in color depending on brand.

I use extensions for the braids for Ceremonial Leia and Ewok Village Leia.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Dark Queen ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that conforms with what my wig lady said. waiting for wig to arrive and then will get extensions to match
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this tutorial thread, I found this useful tutorials for the hair style as well. It is a video for if you have long, thick hair yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y37uNBxSMoU

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a brief walk-through of how to make the pouches from foam and Worbla: https://www.facebook.com/FiremoonCosplay/posts/2322907214589785

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: