Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=edf4e77182f5134b4063a1a2b0b1b4f7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Anovos versus Magnoli Clothiers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gman71 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Anovos versus Magnoli Clothiers Reply with quote

I'm stepping up to buy a Han Solo ESB ensemble and can't decide between Anovos's and Magnoli's offerings. Any opinions or experience with either to help a fella out?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In today's world, I'd be very tempted by the Anovos ensemble; it looks great and it's one stop shopping. HOWEVER, everything is in pre-order status, which I think means they haven't even started shipping any yet; so there's really no way to know what quality, workmanship etc. really looks like. Anything can look great in pictures, but until someone can see actual product...I'd be a bit leery. Also timeframe comes into play. It seems like these have been in pre-order status for an awfully long time, so how long are you actually going to be out the $1200.00 before you get your stuff?

On the other hand, I've actually purchased several things from Magnoli (two pairs of Han pants, the ANH vest and the Falcon gloves). Every product has been exceptionally well made. Adding up cost, you'd save 3 or 4 hundred dollars going with Magnoli, and there's something to be said for having garmets tailor-made to your measurements. That's something you're not going to get from Anovos. Magnoli has great communication, is willing to make custom alterations, and has sent fabric swatches to me in the past so I can see actual color, weight, texture etc. before buying. (This might be very helpful when trying to decide whether or not you want the midnight blue or charcoal grey option on the jacket).

There are some things on Magnoli's designs I'm not so sure about. I'm not really convinced that the stitching on the elbows of the jacket is actually supposed to be there. I just can't find any screencaps that support it. There was a second prototype of the ESB jacket that was never seen in the movie. It had loops on the back similar to the ANH vest and no collar. It had the elbow stitching and I think these jackets have gotten confused over time.

Also, Magnoli's ESB shirt is not really made correctly. It would be approvable, I think, but the Anovos version is much more accurate in its construction. I'm over-the-moon happy with my Magnoli ESB pants, that I can tell you from first-hand experience. Looking at photos of the Anovos pants, I really can't tell any major difference between mine and theirs.

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions. Look forward to hearing what you decide.

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
gman71 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent and thought-provoking reply. I went with Magnoli and placed my order. I ordered the Charcoal Grey jacket, what did you order? Also, what needs to be done to the ESB shirt to make it correct? I was told by Magnoli that it has the stitch across the stomach which was the only thing I didn't see in the photo.

Thanks,

gman71
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I went with Magnoli and placed my order.

Good choice!! I'm really curious about the Anovos set, and I can't wait for someone to buy one to give a first-hand review. That said, I know you'll be happy with the Magnoli product.

Quote:
I ordered the Charcoal Grey jacket, what did you order?

Actually, at the time I did my ESB costume, Magnoli wasn't offering the Bespin jacket; otherwise I may very well have bought one from him. If I had done so, I would have ordered the charcoal grey as well. I'll be curious to see some pics of yours once you get it, since only the midnight blue option is shown on his website.

Quote:
Also, what needs to be done to the ESB shirt to make it correct? I was told by Magnoli that it has the stitch across the stomach which was the only thing I didn't see in the photo.

The biggest thing that's off on Magnoli's shirt is the way the bib flap is constructed. It should be a separate panel that is then sewn onto the front of the shirt. Here are a couple of pics of the Anovos shirt that I've annotated in red to highlight the construction of the front:

You can see how the flaps are panels sewn to the front and the seam where they are sewn together at the bottom is what forms the belly-stitching detail.

On Magnoli's shirt, those seams run up into the collar, instead of forming a square panel, as I've highlighted in green here:

Fortunately the only time this would matter is if you're wearing the costume with the jacket off, like in the carbon-freezing chamber scenes. The jacket will cover it any other time, the belly stitching would be the only thing that matters then.

Definitely post up your thoughts and opinions on Magnoli's stuff once you get it. It's been a few years since I ordered from him, so I'll be interested to see if the quality is still there, and be interested in the ESB versions, as they are fairly new to his product line and I haven't seen a whole lot posted about them here.

gman71 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. That's a big change in appearance, isn't it? I've e-mailed Magnoli and asked him if the shirt can be altered to stop at the correct point. I'll let you know what he says.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely let us know what he says. If he can get the construction details right, I may very well buy one from him myself. My current ESB shirt is not any better than the one he's currently offering. Plus, the construction of this shirt is essentially the base of many other Star Wars costumes. Luke's Black Jedi shirt for example. Also, if he offered a variation with a dress shirt type collar, it could be used for Luke's Ceremonial shirt, and the Rebel Fleet Trooper. Here are a couple of screen shots of the actual shirt, in case he wants to see evidence of construction from the movie instead of Anovos:

Because the shirt is wet in these scenes, it really emphasizes the bib construction. There are some shots later in the Sarlacc Pit scenes where you can tell that the fabric Anovos uses is really close to the original also. I would have to say Anovos is the closest ready-made version of the shirt I've seen. Hopefully Magnoli will work on his design to get his closer.

Corellian Exports makes a pretty accurate version of this as well, but I don't ever seem to have any luck getting them to answer my e-mails...

Keep us posted on what you find out.

gman71 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reply from Magnoli yet, though I'm sure he'll respond favorably. He's a very good communicator and seems to care about his customer's concerns.

Cheers,

g-man71
gman71 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for anyone on the fence about Magnoli's shirt. I got word back from Magnoli that, based on this thread,

"We'll be tweaking the shirt pattern for your order and all future orders, not to worry. Wink

-Indy"
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great to hear!! Now I really can't wait to see pics of your finished pieces. I wonder if he would make a Version 2 with the dress shirt type collar. Maybe I'll drop him a line on that one.

Also, I'm now pretty sure the elbow stitching on the jacket is actually correct; so I think you're gonna get a really sweet costume!!

Let us know when it arrives, and post LOTS of pics.

Keep your friends close, and your blaster closer.

Indy Magnoli (Indy Magnoli)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you guys... we have updated our shirt pattern:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
gman71 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I bought the full Magnoli ESB, and it was great, but as it turns out, what I REALLY want is the accuracy level Anovos is claiming they are bringing to the table with their own version, so I've "re"placed my order with Anovos for their ESB Han Solo ensemble and Han Solo Holster.

I had originally placed my order for the Han Solo ESB ensemble in Nov 2014. After missing several events and comicons because I had nothing to wear, I cancelled my order and went with Magnoli Clothiers instead.

So far, the difference between the two, that I've experienced first-hand, is in customer service. Magnoli always gets back with you regarding your questions in a timely manner and corrects any mistakes in the order as quick as he possibly seems to be able to.

I'm not so convinced with Anovos customer service yet. I'm having trouble getting a response from them regarding the use of a discount code and the order I purchased the holster and ensemble in. I was advised the head of their Refunds, Returns & Cancellations department would get with me this past week, but despite e-mailing for a follow-up when no call came, I've not heard back from them. I hope it resolves soon.

(31 Oct 15 Update) Anovos finally got back with me and had a valid explanation for the delay. They resolved the discount issue as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: