Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=497b179c145f7ce8612b376d5ddeb59cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ewok Village dress question WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Ewok Village dress question WIP Reply with quote

I have almost finished a preliminary mock-up of this dress and have a question regarding the back of the dress. Behind the left leg, where the two panels overlap, does this dress dip down? When putting the mock-up on the dress dummy (dubbed the purple lady) it appears that there would be four kerchief points, but I don't think the dress had that? Any help would be appreciated.

WIP
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/silvermittt/library/SW%20WIP%20Leia%20Ewok%20Village%20dress?sort=3&page=1

To those accessing my thread, I'm changing all the broken linked images over to a simple link to my WIP photos on Photobucket. I have two pages of pictures you can look through.

Last edited by silvermitt () on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello silvermitt.

In the back where the left piece ends, it goes down further around the inner piece that goes all the way around. It should also be folded back as in the front. I guess you can say the skirt has three points while the rest of the skirts are somewhere around knee/top shin length. Two middle shin length points in front and one in back.

Getting the skirt just right is hard, but as long as the overall lengths are there along the three points, you'd be good. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! I think I may have fixed that hanging issue.

I am not sure about much of how this works and I'd really like to make few mistakes, if possible. My mom offered to man the sewing machine, the rest is all mine. Currently, we've pieced and fitted it. I've taken the initial run apart and will be cutting it out in suede cloth, probably by tomorrow. Friday, she and I will have it sewn together for pictures to get approval, or at least critiqued for changes. If it's actually approved (not expecting), then next week my husband and I are off to a local Tandy to pick up suede skins for my final dress.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is tough to get it exactly right. I spend a very long time working on my mock-up before I ventured near my hides.

I think you may find some useful information in my WIP thread as we had quite a few good discussions regarding the costume in there, and I made sure to document everything closely. http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45022&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Otherwise just keep posting here and I'll try to help you out as much as I can. Smile

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have studied this thread, and another one where there are close up images of the skirt. I think I've got it right, but won't know for sure until after I get it together. Should be next week when it is. We had some record snowfall and my help can't get out of her driveway. So we wait for it to melt off a bit. Smile

I really appreciate the feedback. With all the hype over new characters and people working on costumes from episodes 1-3 still, getting much from people about this dress has been slow. Thanks again!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome. Smile I love the costume, so I want to help others get it right.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 8 new pictures to show at Photobucket, if those who know this dress well would like to comment (Lora?).

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/silvermittt/library/SW%20WIP%20Leia%20Ewok%20Village%20dress?sort=3&page=1

I have a few things I would like to tell before you look. First, obviously, there are no finishing seams in yet. Also, it is long and will need to be resized lengthwise, I know. I haven't put it on yet, there is still much to do. I forgot to put the belt on, so I'll have to show it later. Sorry! Lastly, as this will NOT be my finished dress (I'm going to do it again in suede leather), I am going to leave quite a few of the seams with wide inner material (Oh, boy I just can't phrase this right, sorry!) along the back of the dress on both sides of the hidden zipper, when we fit it in. Probably will do so along the bottom of the dress to allow for letting out a bit.

My purpose to this, is that if it's an approvable dress, then I will gladly sell it to someone for a decent price as I don't need two of them. This dress fits about a 10 to 12 womens and I'm fairly sure it could be let out to fit a bustier woman than myself. Likewise, the skirt could be let out for someone a few inches taller than I am at 5 foot. This is hypothetical, of course, because I don't know if it will be approved until I'm ready to submit pictures.

So, how about some criticism?!!? I want to get it right! Smile

Last edited by silvermitt () on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaleoLaura (Laura Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it could be let out to fit a 14-16 and 5'4", I'll be 1st in line. I can't sew for anything, but always wanted to do this costume! It looks amazing so far.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you asked me for criticism, so here goes. Smile

(I'm mainly looking at the skirt).

Starting in the front, the short front piece of the skirt that goes all around and under the second, outer skirt, is cut straight across rather than at an angle. It should start just above knee length and then go diagonally down towards the left side.
I think the left side is be a bit long, but it's hard to tell when on a dress form. The curve of the outer skirt is very pointy and V like; I suggest rounding it more.
The back of the full skirt is very long compared to the pointy bit of the outer skirt. It should only be just past knee length and shorter than the long point of the outer skirt.
Which leads me to... the full skirt seems to curve up in the right side and then curve down rather than just curve gently down from the back and to the front.
And finally, the two ends of the outer skirt should fold back to show the inside of the skirt fabric. (But with a shiny inside this won't do as the entire costume should be matte).

I'm also curious why you chose to make the edges zig-zagged? Any particular reason for this.

As for the rest it's hard to say without a person wearing the dress. But you are on the right track and your princess seams look good. Keep it up. Smile

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm going to print that up for my Mom and I to try to make the changes. I made it overly long because I knew it would need to be brought up, but how much is a guess. So far. A couple of items I'd like to ask you about?

I'm also curious why you chose to make the edges zig-zagged? Any particular reason for this.

Not sure what you meant by that. If you mean the pieces hanging down, I draped the initial run material over the dummy and cut away. That's what I got and tried to clean it up to make a pattern. Truly, this is the first time I've ever done this, and it shows. If you mean the edges all around, I used pinking shears to cut the pattern, and there is no hem yet. Other than that? I don't understand where precisely you are pointing out.

But with a shiny inside this won't do as the entire costume should be matte.

This finish on the inside is a problem? I hope not. Bus since I haven't actually sewn on the skirt to the upper body yet, it can be covered still. Main problem now is that I can't get anymore of that particular fabric. There is some that is a shade lighter in color. Would it be ok to use it to cover the inside? I have no idea why this particular fabric I got has suede on one side and satiny on it's reverse. I just thought this suede was a perfect color for this dress. Didn't consider the inside to be much of an issue as it's not really seen.

But as I stated before, I'm in the 15 foot deep end of the pool, and I don't swim all that well yet. Still learning.

EDIT!!!!

Would it help if I took the skirt off the dummy, laid it out with a light colored sheet under it so you can assess it better? I can put it on Photobucket and send you a personal message. I have a feeling you are probably are too busy to have alot of time to critique this much, due to the hubbub with the rush for the upcoming California convention.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering if there was a reason you chose to use pinking shears rather than a regular pair of fabric scissors, is all. Smile The final version should have smooth edges.

Well, you could try covering it up with a lighter, matte fabric, but I'm worried if you can get your edges to look good. The problem is that you do see the inside of the fabric in the skirt portion, and yes, it's completely matte and a bit lighter than the outside.
When I originally started looking at fabrics I found that all fake suedes have shiny backsides and often they were also darker. Confused That is part of the reason why I decided to go with real hides and keep away from the fabrics. (That and real hides don't unravel).

You are more than welcome to keep posting here and then I'll reply whenever I can. Smile (I probably won't have much time this week, but that has nothing to do with celebration).
A good picture of both sides of the fabric would be great; I'm afraid the backside of the current fabric is far too shiny.
And of course, I can give better feedback if I see how this fits you.

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Suede cloth lined. Reply with quote

I have several pictures to show. I've got a liner in the skirt, and have done what I can to smooth out the sharp edges on the inner skirt. The outer, I don't have way to do so. However, with the way the liner fills it, and after I have ironed it out, it lays pretty nicely anyways. This is messy and I know it. Without being able to get more of the same fabric and redoing select panels, it's just not going to look as right as others, I'm afraid. However, for the sake of learning, it's been quite useful. I'll finish it, of course. Whether it passes muster remains to be seen. I'd like to think even Ewoks would have had to deal with screw ups..

So, no, I have not done anything to the upper part yet. It's last on the list for now. I do have the arms nearly completed. Those are separate from the suede dress. I'm going to use self-stick velcro in places inside the arm sleeve to keep them "attached". When I have the leather piece in place, I'll take another picture.

Last edited by silvermitt () on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks better with the liner. Of course, now you have a seam line, even if it's a self lined one. XD Yeah, who said this costume should be easy? I know at least one person who's scared of the skirt, because of the weird angles and everything. I probably know more than one person...

But I do think you should finish this, too, if for nothing else then for all you will learn while doing it. And then you can always keep it for costume parties or such where you don't want to risk getting your other costume soiled. Smile

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Sandals & Sleeves Reply with quote

My sleeves are done. All that I have to do is stick on the velcro dots I'm going to use to secure them inside the arm sleeve of the suedecloth dress. I hve three images in the photobucket page.

There is also a folder within the Leia WIP dress folder for the sandals. I've finished them EXCEPT to have them secured to the Arizona soles I'm using for the bottom. I am going to a local shoe repair shop to have that done. I'll post a picture when I get them back completed. Meanwhile, I've some images of sandal wip if anyone is interested. Send me a message if you like them and I will scan in my pattern to send out.

Last edited by silvermitt () on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see some progress. Your sandals look like they will be great for the costume. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: