Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5e2295c1d09df4e80f572eacc8a1853fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[WIP] Ahsoka, Rebels era.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My printer bed needs cleaning but also I need to be able to watch the printer so I broke my files into each component. Copy, new, paste, save.

Then export each.

And then open in Cura and export as gcode. Luckily the default settings seem to stay.

So today I get to try small files and try to use an ABS slurry to adhere the pieces to the plate.

Leather pieces are not getting to the plastic stage I want so I'll have to try and work on that today as well. And I have my leather prep and paints.
And I've realised I have some mesh to add to the top of my tunic to help keep it in place. So hemming the tunic and sleeves should happen today as well.

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://airwolf3d.com/2014/10/22/smoothing-stl-file-sketchup-blender-3d-printing/
Luckily I do have my files all still in three clusters so I can do this. But it means cutting, exporting and exporting again.

but my test print worked for a value of work. I just need to get my plate heating up evenly so may have to build some draft walls around the box.

So I'm giving thought to having someone print these, then I'll print my own and pass the first set on to a member at the same cost of the original, but with added tidying by me Smile

This has been a project of fail :/

Montral
cast six times in total. Two sewn up to use.
First back lekku was lovely but too short.
My front lekku too thick.
New set of montral and lekku tend to collapse down and back filling with latex is great but the weather is not helping. It's been a week now and still no cure.

Tunic
cut two both needed overdyeing.
One tunic went green the other I cut with the grain going in two directions (I never do this.....)
I do have my left over Padme Light Blue and that fabric has all the properties I want and is a rayon mix. So I can remove the blue and do a series of rinses in dye.

Leggings
Fine. No issue. Just need to tidy them.

Boots
Seem to be fine and look like they'll be fine when I remove the zips and add elastic to fit closely.

Leather armour
entirely cut twice,
over heated first set, then managed to overheat sections of the greaves (3.5mm stretching by water and limits of body)
Finally managed to boil the smaller pieces of the new set.
Recut those sections and the weather has gone grey again so can't dry them easily. Will have to have a heater on to dry them all today/tomorrow. Tomorrow.
I do have all the paint. Feibings is a little thick so I'll thin it out and apply by sponge in three layers. That was what my test section suggested was good. But I was also using full thickness.

Printed parts:
I made the hilt files several times as both working at a larger scale and using the shape bending plugin caused errors that needed fixing.

I need to put the last best files through blender. And I need to add in a belt loop.

I may need to have someone print thee as I cna't control the environment enough to make the heat plate stay hot enough even in the middle. So While I save for that I can at least have a set of hilts.

But hooray for scrap fabric that even has the texture I wanted, it's soft so creates a slightly mottled effect.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes think costume making is basically a series of fails with successes in between. Laughing At least you're not giving up, so you haven't failed yet! Just waiting to succeed. Wink

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've relented and decided that I'll use 3Dhubs again for the printing. I spent another day trying to both smooth and prepare all 20 files. So I know the cost is actually super reasonable. It's basically cost of filament doubled. And my time that would have been spent would be well over four times that cost.

What I'll do is keep plugging away at my files after the deadline crunch and then pass this set on to a RL member once I have use them.

I also spent the day wrangling fabric I hope will work out. I need to build in bottoms so that the tunic will sit where it needs to. And I have to dye it.

I'm also going to see if I can get another B12 injection later this week. Had one on Thursday and I think it's helping but not quite enough.

But I have been up 11 hours so I think I can at least call today a success. Might just wash my tunic and glove fabric ready for dyeing.

And further to the bad luck- there was the perfect texture, weight, and colour fabric locally. But it had a subtle repeating stripe. It looks like it was subdyed as I couldn't see any density change.

So I have a pale grey ready to be tinted to darker grey matte effect lycra. But it's slippery so very definitely needs a.. seat... to hold it in place.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who printed my hilts has been great. I'm scaling them down to look more like they do in the show, not at a size to fit a blade. I call them my FX version Smile

So technically within a reasonable range but in reality my legs and fingers are proportionally long so not really the ideal scale references!

Baking the armour worked!

So next step is to get the greaves baked. This will require some... clever use of baking paper and wire as I think they will just fit sideways in our oven.
Such a relief to be able to now tidy and paint much of the armour.

So the recipe for baking is easiest in metric:
Preform the pieces using hot water and a form. Let cool. Soak the pieces again in cold water.

Pre-heat over to 50C
I opened the oven every 10 minutes. As soon as I got a big cloud of steam I was able to reshape some of the pieces that flattened a bit and then put them back to bake for a little longer.

It's really gentle process as compared to trying to keep water at the perfect temperature.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing leather. Laughing Oh, the fun things we try out for our hobby. But if it works. Smile

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've avoided it because our over while great has lost the markings from the front! Luckily the middle knob has a dot and "50" in the right place for 50C.

I may wind up making labels for it. No idea why on stainless steel transfers were used. Etched or even a ring of plastic surely...

but it is a standard way to harden leather Smile

Today is a library troop I really am too tired for so I'll be going as an Imp Officer. But it is close enough to a nearby fabric store Smile My last chance to get some charcoal grey fabric for my Tunic.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun. Smile And shopping trips are fun in particular when you find that which you are looking for.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huuuuuge sigh of relief, there was Smile It's not quite dark enough to match the concept but seems to match the look when they are on Melachor so... hopefully Smile It'll be double layered so I can have a smooth and stable neckline.

It's cotton rich, or possibly a mix with rayon, so if need be I do have some black dye for a dye bath. The store also had good sized D rings (there were three, so there is one not quite match out there still!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear to found what you was looking for. Very Happy

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love everything about the new tunic, except the cut outs in the sleeves! That was my own fault. I had intended on using a fusible right around my arm but cut it back. Luckily I can get more fabric on Monday.

Monday I have a neck x-ray to see if there is any really obvious impingement of nerves going on up there affecting my hands. I'm dropping things, even throwing things due to either my fingers twitching or loss of strength or loss of feeling. As in one of any of them at different times.
Then there is an MRI the next Monday for a better view. And at some time.. nerve test. Freaking out about that one. But I need it.

So As the hospital is near the fabric store I'll grab an arm length of that and then head to Barnes to pick up some latex ordered to redo my montral all over again. Luckily i have enough other supplies to do some more work.
The latex did collapse and pull one horn out of shape. It's an issue when you have to lay it out at different times so it's okayish. But I do love the base shape. And I have an idea on how to prevent this happening again.

I also need some more leather for my greaves, maybe chest plate. I need to see the size on me now (lost a little weigh with stress so working out if it's permanent or not!

So slightly stalled while I catch my breath.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with all of it! It's quite a mouthful.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUUUUUUUN!!!! OMG a day of sun!!!!! I am super fatigued so progress has been so spotty I haven't shared but today I can move the partially cured montral out into the sun for the air, with good airflow.

First time in weeks.

Seeing as there is already a mess out there I am also going to sand my hilts. They need to be sanded before an acetone wash. When 3D printing the lilament oozes a fair bit, imagine icing a cake, it squeezes out bigger than the nozzle.
So I have a bit of sanding to make parts fit Smile But they are in parts so I can test an idea I have about making them silver Smile

I also grabbed some more fabric for the gloves/mitts. so can baste new stitching lines and stabilise it all for new diamond cut outs. Might do them first and then cut the fabric this time. It's how I was planning, but there is such a narrow tube then at the top to sew through.. I'll be doing a lot of hand sewing.

Right.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final fail I hope. This costume has cost me so much money and time and health that I'm starting to resent it! But I finally have the mitts shaped nicely- fairly wind piece of stretch interfacing helps- so along with being able to press the hem of the tunic nicely I'm feeling a lot more positive.

The fabric is so stretchy vertically that I have had to use my overlocker, I'd rather use stretch stitch to reduce bulk but I will pop seams pulling the garment on.
I do intend to put a zip up the back so that I don't have to worry about smearing make up though. I would put it up the front under the chest plate but it won't help in making it easy to get through the waist which is what the issue is Smile

My lightsaber hilts do look pretty though Smile Lots of acetone welding of silver pigments with transluscent ABS has helped make for a very smooth surface.

These are my pieces, in different stages of assembly. Welded together and first sanding.

And here is a view showing the copper and silver finishes.

And for scale. It's far too skinny for a blade. Even the skinny blades I do for OT style thin blades. If I can get an LED powerful enough I may be able to get a really thin acrylic rod through but it would be ab0ut 16mm!

And boots are proving to be difficult. The greaves coming down over the ankles mean avoiding a zip so I did find some boots that can be moddified to overlap and close with elastic.

The straps and buckles have been taken off. They are a bit too big so I'll try and get them on a smaller base. I have been all over the city looking for anything that will work. I'm a bit stuck as we are in summer and winter stock is put away, not on sale!
I've also taken the side seams apart and have some solvent to remove the boot from the upper from the insoles and soles.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you have progress on this. Smile Your sabers came out very nice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: