Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=eaeb9c6dcfafc9c3edafb3e736b9e71aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

7024 Galactic Marine Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloudstrife7 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: 7024 Galactic Marine Build Thread Reply with quote

I first became interested in this costume 3 years ago and decided to finally take the plunge. What really kicked it into high gear was when I saw the GM's at Celebration VI. The costume looked great on the forums, but seeing it up close and personal made it really come to life. All the GMs I had the pleasure speaking to were extremely nice and it was a blast meeting them. Next time I go to Celebration I hope I can wear my complete GM and inspire a trooper as those I met did for me. This is my first clone build!

Gallery of 500 photos from my build can be found here in this Google + album: https://goo.gl/photos/t4yu6nj63QBwhtQq5

Thank you to Ken Querio for the motivation and help to complete this costume and sharing the love of Star Wars which makes this community so much fun.
Also thank you to Gaz for sharing his build progress - it would have been much more difficult without him sharing his challenges and techniques to overcome them.
Have to give credit to Foo for posting so many helpful youtube tutorials on the republic commando builds. I was able to apply a lot of techniques to my Galactic Marine.
I have to thank another clone brother Steve for driving 6 hours round trip to show me how to install the support straps for the backpack.
Thank you to Dan Kohnke and Fred K for helping with figuring out how to mount my backpack to back plate.

I could not have done it without all of your help!

GM 7024 501st Legion and Rebel Legion Approved

Last edited by cloudstrife7 () on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 pm; edited 6 times in total
El-dictator ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job ! Very Happy
stroudy (Peter Truscott-Stroud)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!

Elstree Base XO
Event Co-Ordinator
cloudstrife7 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On with the build thread:
I used Tan Camo Plasti Dip Spray to cover the soles of the Kenneth Cole Kilimanjaro's and I think it came out quite well.

Thanks to Midniterider for providing the pouch and cowl patterns as well as assisting with the back armor, it looks great!

I also got my GM coin in and it's probably the coolest pieces of merch I own.

Received my helmet from Dan Rod Jr. Really happy with it.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Wz6BrvE9K1g/UnUQfFO9FSI/AAAAAAAA_Ak/urprWownuoY/w856-h642-no/2013-10-30

cloudstrife7 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More armor arrived.

---

A lot of work in progress. Only a few more pieces left to buy:
Coveralls
Black Under Armor shirt
Gloves

Got some more trimming done.

---
Slowly but surely making progress.

So far I've learned a lot about trimming armor to fit. At first all that armor didn't fit on my arms.

I learned to trim these return edges to make armor fit my arms. No one will see them anyway they're under my arms and it's important to make it fit comfortably.
After some trimming it fits much better and all the armor is spaced appropriately.

---

I am very proud of how far I've come on my first clone armor. Thanks to all my friends who help and inspire me along the way. I've learned a lot and will continue to learn in the 298 days until C7 when I plan to debut it. I'll be taking a month off from building and can't wait to keep progressing.

---

Ok troopers only 44 days to go until Celebration 7, and I continue to make progress every day.

Weathered parts - Just need strapping

Ammo boxes painted and will be weathered once attached to chest and arm belts.

Trimmed and test fit shins and boot armor

Shimming - lots of clamps

Filling

More shimming - I recommend to use lots of strong magnets to get where clamps can't.

I clamped down a paints stir stick to help put pressure on this seam. It was still a pain and required a lot of filling.

Snaps added to hand plates, but I'll add two more by the wrist.

More shimming

Adding velcro to armor and toe of boot

Snaps have been added to boots. Line 24 leather snaps were too small to attach using the normal method so I just used devcon plastic welder to hold them on. I don't plan to remove my boot armor so it shouldn't be an issue. The front is held on with velcro. Last thing to do is attach the male end to the boot armor. I'll devcon those on too.

Yellow is devcon plastic welder used as epoxy to shim and fill large gaps - very strong hold, no flexing.

Extending chest armor with ABS

More painting

This is progress

I set my chest and back piece on a table and added extension ABS where needed. It sounded good in theory. Here is what I found out - my body is not shaped like the armor was sitting on the table. Yes the extensions are lined up, but isn't the best way to fit it to my body. Good news is it will still work if I trim it correctly.

Made mods to cowl template so it will wrap around the entire helmet.

(Edit - in the end I did not make it loop around, and made a front and back piece.)

Looks decent - can't wait to get it cut out of vinyl.

Filling shims - nearly ready for primer and adding the belts.

---

Last night I sanded and trimmed my shin armor. I think it's ready for a coat of primer. I'll probably cut the slots for the thick abs "belts" next.

My wife finished my pockets from extra coverall material, now they just need to be attached to the jumpsuit.

I also extended the other side of my chest piece using another thick abs. This should give me enough room to size it to myself without being too tight.

---

Sanding went well. Just need to fill a few more spots then I'll prime and be painting by this weekend! I couldn't be more excited.

---

I used the top of a paint brush to fill sides of beak with spot putty. I should have used normal bondo because this cracked after it dried and is becoming a problem.

Before filling back

After filling with spot putty

More filling

Test fit of ammo packs on belts. One mens one kids that fit crl guidlines. They are attached with bolts on the inside of the piece.

The belt will be finished once I attach the pouches and buckles.

Test placement of pieces for boots.

A huge thank you to Dan K for making an amazing stock for my blaster and touching it up. I'm ready to rock.

Wearable before Celebration deadline met!!

First test fit
[img]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L4fUvwFyqSg/VSK4JPVFh1I/AAAAAAABuMQ/WliK--FqHjw/w1467-h681-no/BeFunky%2BCollage.png]
Some small details to finish after celebration but I'm really happy it's wearable!

Usable, lined cloth pouches made by my wife using templates provided by Midniterider. Magnets purchased from amazon in bulk pack and secured with hot glue.

After test fitting I am re-shaping the pauldrons to fit me and allow my helmet to rest on them, otherwise I can't see.

As you can see my helmet would not be able to rest on this and have me be able to see

I am using a heat-gun on high from 6 inches away to heat them up, then use gloves and pressure to form them so they will better fit to my armor. I also heat them up and clamp them to the armor to hold the shape. It is taking several sessions, but each time they improve. Slow and steady.

I also realized I need to add snaps to my biceps to keep them under my shoulder bells. Adding snaps to the bottom of my shoulder bells, and fixing a elbow strap - don't use super glue - use e6000 Very Happy

Here I am taking off some of the return edge so I have more mobility and it's not digging into me during celebration. The top has been cut down and the bottom was cut to match.

When I met Ken Querio at Celebration 6 he gave me this patch. I brought it with me to Celebration Anaheim for the debut of my Galactic Marine. I also brought a photo of us at C6. I was proud to represent the Galactic Marines at C7 and my costume was well recognized and received a lot of photographs. The biggest compliment I received was "That is an amazing costume! Thank you for wearing it, costumers like you make these conventions awesome!"

The patch that started it all

Holding a photo of my wife Sara and I with Ken in his Marine at C6

GM7024 Approved and ready for action!
A huge thank you to Dan Trippler for the quick turnaround. I was able to attend two events immediately after being approved so I really appreciate it.

Madison Mallards Star Wars Night

Joliet Star Wars Day

Not may remember the Galactic Marines which appeared for 20 seconds during order 66 in Revenge of the Sith, but the costume was badass so I had to make one to represent them and make their character known. The Galactic Marines are pre-cursor to Snow troopers which I also enjoy the look of. Overall it was an awesome build and I definitely learned a lot. I have been posting progress to Blizzard Force, and now that I am approved I want to cross post to here, Rebel Legion, etc. to help other clones with the build. I was approved last Thursday and have since trooped twice in my GM and I'm loving it. I still get a lot of photos and like that I can give people background on who my character is. There are a few tweaks I need to make but I'm really satisfied with the overall appearance.

If you're interested my submission photos can be viewed online through google docs here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TJkhQHs3MjS_aDqPZFYm3gF7go8Ep0pOi5i_1z6_9Kg/edit?usp=sharing

I love to help so if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them just ask them on the thread so others will learn too!
stroudy (Peter Truscott-Stroud)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant work!

Elstree Base XO
Event Co-Ordinator
cloudstrife7 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costume was also approved by the Rebel Legion. Dual membership woohoo!
danrodjr (Dan Rodriguez)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome build, I love seeing these, and the lid looks awesome!!!!Great job!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: