Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=74453956aa51f08e1d9c34d4ad98d688Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rhaethe's Bladewing Pilot WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All materials for the hose have been procured.

30 inch tie down strap
90 degree pvc fitting thing
Some other pvc pipe fitting thing, looks male-ish
rare earth magnets
white fabric

Yes, I am aware that my terminology is lacking. I shopped more for what I envisioned would work. The tie down strap isn't a rope, but it has a nice weight and is super flexible. And it was MUCH cheaper than the rope available to me at Ace.

Now, to eat dinner, and then on to making a hose.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hose!

First, I took the hooks off the tie strap, and then ensured I could fit the pvc bits over the ends. I could, snugly, so did not have to shave enything off the ends.

Next step was to paint the tie-strap white. The cloth I got is pretty thin, and I didn't want the black showing up under the cloth.

As it dried, I made a tube out of the cloth. Nothing exciting here, as its the same method and tube as what everyone else uses, I imagine Smile I made sure the tube was twice as long as the tie strap, to allow for good bunching.

And the last step was to feed the strap into the tube, then fit the pvc fittings over each end. I slipped a tiny bit of E6000 onto the end to ensure secure fitting.

Hose done! I glued a rare earth magnet into the chestbox, and I will be placing the mate to it on the bent pvc pipe bit. Easy yet secure on and off.

Smile
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. Looks good to me.

The rubber strap was an interesting idea. Does the paint crack as it bends?

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't seem to crack. I didn't go for a thick opaque look, just one or two thin coats to get rid of the deep black. I am thinking if I had coated it thickly it probably would have cracked.

Next up is the thing I have been dreading.

The vest.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't do the vest today. Did get the interfacing I need for it, however.

Also spent time putting the buckles on the gaiters, upper patch pockets on the suit, and final fit and finish alterations to the suit like hemming.

Still don't have a beltbox.

The CRL does not declare you must have a beltbox, currently, but my reference pictures have them, so I kinda feel I should.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have belt now. Just need to fasten the miniflare holder things to it.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Am going to say something honest. Having boobs makes the design and construction of this vest awkward and not fun Mad
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vest! I still have to put the 2 ribs top front. And I have some weathering and coloration to give it. Aaaaand the straps. But! It is shaped correctly and it fits. It just barely covers the chest zippers of the suit. I may end up trying to take those off when its all said and done.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Not bad at all. Smile

Though I will mention a few things... The "tab" that the ejection harness connects to seem a little bit wide (though it might not be it's hard to tell without the strap on it). There shouldn't be a seam up the middle of the front of the vest, and the back piece and front piece of the vests are two separate pieces. The shoulder straps of the back piece are layered over the shoulder straps of front piece and are sewn down. The shoulder straps of the back are thinner than the shoulder straps of the front. The back panel is also more of a straight-edged rectangle and it doesn't angle in.

The vest would pass under the current standards, but when the standards are revamped I can't promise that it would. So as long as you submit your costume before the standards revamp (whenever that will be) you'll be okay.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a seam up the middle. That is just where I ironed the fabric down the middle to make sure I got the pattern cut Wink Once I iron it back out, you shouldn't see it Smile

The back and the front are two separate pieces, but the parts are just sewn together as opposed to overlapping. When I install the straps, I was planning on putting another piece on there to give the overlapping look, and also provide more support ... so that when I hook in the chest box, it doesn't sag and pull badly.

Narrowing the tab is an easy adjustment, and something I planned on doing once I attached the straps. I subscribe to the measure twice, cut wide, sew once, tweak fit and polish after kind of theory Wink

I am probably a week away from submission (crossing fingers!!!). My MAJOR stumbling block right now is finding those damn metal adjuster sliders for the legs straps Mad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strapworks.com. That's where I've always gotten mine, and I always get my webbing there, too.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Slider dealies are now purchased and will hopefully be here ... soon.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempted to put on the ribs. Long and painful story short, I am going to have to do this vest all over again. I really loathe this vest. Not being an expert seamstress, it really really sucks not having a good pattern and pictures on how it is supposed to go together. Many builds show the beginning and the end of the vest, but never the in-between.

I never want to do this thing again after this.
FoxhoundTCF (Ashley Tyler)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80% done on the vest re-do. I went to the OT Costume book and stared at the BWing picture for a while. Then it occurred to me that I need to stop thinking of the vest as a garment. Rather, I needed to think of it as padding between the chestbox and me, nothing more.

With that in mind, I stared at the picture in the book for a touch longer, and then readjusted my pattern. I shortened it slightly, made it noticeably less wide, and took out the rounding on the "wings", straightening them off as they are in the book.

I then sliced the pattern it two, right where the ribs would be, then added my 1/2 inch ease onto the fresh edges.

I then sacrificed a black canvas karate tunic I had only worn once in 10 years, intending to use it to back the felt, since the nifty grey black galaxy fabric I had bought to back it was no more. I suppose I could have salvaged it off of attempt one, but meh. I may end up salvaging it anyway, and handstitching the galaxy fabric to the back of the canvas, just for a bit more structure. Depends on my mood.

I extended the black backing on the bigger piece on the top by an inch or so. Then I took soft curtain cord I had, and laid it on the edge of the fabric, flipping over the edge and sewing the cord in. Did that on all outside edges on all pieces.

Then I laid the two pieces together, and I sewed each "seam" again, the black backing now "joining" the two pieces together. Then I handstitched the two pieces tighter together.

After that came ironing ... don't directly iron felt. I almost ruined attempt number two, but I managed to hide the burn.

It looks more like the book pictures now. I am satisfied with it. I still have to figure out the back piece and then figure out how to attach the two together. But that is for later, after I get some sleep. Note, in the last pic, the blue cloth is just a temp scrap I placed there to get an idea of where the white piece will go.

And thank you Foxhound.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: