Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=945e63f2065d72c3883511262b5f4744Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Briefing/Trooper Leia WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Endor Briefing/Trooper Leia WIP Reply with quote

Although I originally thought I wanted to do the Ewok Village Leia dress, I'm now thinking about doing the Endor Briefing Room / Trooper Leia costume. (I'd like to go for Trooper but since that appears to incorporate all the Briefing Room pieces, I'll probably start with the Briefing version.)

Although I can sew, I'd like to try to convert existing pieces where possible rather than make it all from scratch. First, for the tan shirt. What do you all think of this? I'd buy two, and use the extra to make the pockets and proper collar on the first one. Of course the sleeves would need to be cut down from full to 3/4. Do you think this could work? http://www.logosoftwear.com/product/30369/ladies-long-sleeve-budget-friendly-poplin-shirt?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=Google&colstr=D1AE88&gclid=CPfQuNGZ1sUCFQoGaQodBJcA_g

Next, I'll be on a quest for pastel blue, non-acid washed, pocketless "jeggings." (Because pants will have non-removable pockets, but there's a chance something called "jeggings" won't have pockets....) Still, going to be kind of a needle in a haystack thing.

(EDIT: went ahead and renamed this a WIP since I have started making the pants and ordering other bits!)

Last edited by Boudicca (Jen B) on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total
PaleoLaura (Laura Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the shirt and pants as I had to have mine done by a seamstress due to my severe lack of sewing skills Smile

I can tell you that I got my boots at JC Penney and that I modified the 3D printed Leia ANH blaster into the correct ROTJ version fairly easily.

Good luck with everything!
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

After some thrift shopping and looking at HUNDREDS of pairs of pants/leggings/jeggings online, I think I'm gonna have to make the pants. Found some light blue twill at Joann's but not in sufficient quantity - will have to go to another Joann's (darn) Wink

Going to pick up the shirt(s) and convert those, though. And keep an eye out for vest fabric!
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a couple twill fabric swatches from Mood Fabrics, which just came in.

I really like the one on the left, and it has a nice stretch to it. It's also on sale $7.99/yard (and I have a coupon) so I may have to go with that.

There's also a light blue stretch twill at Joann's right now, but I think they're phasing it out post-spring because I haven't been able to find enough yardage after checking two stores.

I know I technically only need about 2.5 yards according to my pattern, but I've never made pants for myself before, so I'm going to want 4 just in case.

I also ordered this pattern (McCalls M6901):

It claims to be Easy - hopefully it will work! I'll take pics when I get it of my progress & modifications.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Smile

I'm so weird that I find making my own patterns easier than working with a bought pattern. Laughing

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that completely - for certain things, I have an easier time making my own patterns.

But pants scare me - after my struggles making a pair of Edwardian style trousers for my husband for Doctor Who, I'm very nervous even attempting it on myself given that I have curves and sizes don't standardize like they do for men. But, I'm sure I'll be able to do it with an "easy" pattern - getting fabric with a good stretch will help.

Meanwhile, - has anyone worked with Arda Wigs' "Leia" and do you think it would work for this costume? http://arda-wigs.com/products/leia

(I'm planning to order the Dark Brown.)

I like that it's already braided because Arda's tangle really badly. I'm thinking I could twist the braids into Figure 8's but I'm not really experienced with hair styling.
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at that wig. I use extensions right now, but I'm thinking of ordering the wig and giving it a try.
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I wanted a wig so I could just pop it on and go, rather than have to style something the morning of a troop.

Also, lookie what I just found at an Army surplus for $6!

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now boots.... finding affordable boots this time of year is a bit tricky, but I found these... do you think they might work? $25 with Amazon Prime.

For modifications: I'd remove the straps, and I know there should not be a visible zipper, so I'd welcome suggestions on how to hide it, as well as any other modifications I'd need to make to these.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQFSCLG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2N38VOJ4CPW4K&coliid=IZH9K9OTB0LN7&psc=1
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the wig is long. The real question is whether you can style the bangs so they 'disappear' and make it look good.

And regarding trousers... well, I haven't quite gotten to making any from scratch yet, but it's on my list. Razz

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more questions:

1. Rank badge - Is Leia's the same as the Endor trooper badge, like the one here? http://www.djdesigns.eu/Endor_Commando_Costume_Accessories/cat2292764_2080580.aspx or is it a different design?

2. Blaster - I know there is a resin kit linked from the standards, but resin weapons are heavy - I've seen a couple of folks here mention a 3D printed version. Is it on Shapeways and if so could I get the link?

Thank you!
PaleoLaura (Laura Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky since my sister's work has a 3D printer Smile I modified Leia's ANH blaster.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:226014

The files are free, just need to print it out and change a couple of things.
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boudicca wrote:
A couple more questions:

1. Rank badge - Is Leia's the same as the Endor trooper badge, like the one here? http://www.djdesigns.eu/Endor_Commando_Costume_Accessories/cat2292764_2080580.aspx or is it a different design?

2. Blaster - I know there is a resin kit linked from the standards, but resin weapons are heavy - I've seen a couple of folks here mention a 3D printed version. Is it on Shapeways and if so could I get the link?

Thank you!

it's a different rank badge. It should look like this: http://verdaera.deviantart.com/art/Endor-Leia-Rank-Badge-119713651
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice blaster. Smile

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! I may have a lead on a lighter weight one, will post once I find it again.

I've been struggling with the pants the last few days and could use some advice!

I made my "practice pants" out of muslin and adjusted it, and really thought I had the fit just right - but I learned an important lesson when I tried to do the real thing - whatever you make your "practice" version out of, make sure it has the same stretch as the actual fabric!! Muslin doesn't stretch, my twill did! So the pants were just huge. I tried taking each side seam and inseam in 1", not even close.

So I finally took a pair of skinny stretch jeans that fits me well and traced the lines for the side seams and inseams with chalk onto my twill pants. (please ignore the weird lighting; the twill is actually light blue and the jeans are dark blue).

Used a loose baste stitch to put them together and got this. The size seems right now, but now the fabric is wrinkling and bunching rather than sitting flat.

Any idea why this is happening? Could it be because the twill only stretches side-to-side (2 way stretch) rather than being 4 way stretch? Or did I just sew the seams in a way that twisted up the front? What's the best way to fix this so it doesn't wrinkle and bunch like this?

Advice appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: