Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1dd5c81f425b8df4299838a45dd64154Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Briefing/Trooper Leia WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the shirt!

I bought 2 shirts from the website linked above, and I'm using the second to rip apart for pieces for the 1st. Cuffs have been added, pockets are pinned on. I made a new under-collar out of muslin and have pinned it between the upper collar and shirt to see how it looked. (There's only so much fabric on that second shirt so I wanted to get the pattern right before cutting the pieces out.)

Had to do the Rosie the Riveter pose. Unfortunately the pins on the pocket srarted coming out when I did....

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also bought some real English riding boots, used for a good price on ebay! But they are a bit, errr, tall... going to have to take my leather scissors and cut them down.

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I imagining things or is there really no topstitching on those sleeve pocket bags? Fortunately my pockets are double layeredso I could just hand stitch through the bottom layer, but.... I'd want to be sure before taking on that task...
PaleoLaura (Laura Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great so far!

As for the sleeve pockets, I don't have any top stitching on mine. From what I can see on the pictures we used for guidance, there isn't any.
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I've made lots of progress, and I *MAY* have this thing ready to submit in the next few days. Depending on what happens when I pull the half wig out of its packaging and try to work with it Smile

Shirt is done, pants are done.

Shirt front:

Shirt pocket:

Will upload a photo of the pants when I get a pic (hopefully tomorrow) of me wearing the pieces that are ready.

I have the web belt w/3 pouches, the blaster, and I'm almost done making the holster.

Holster front (top part needs to be cut down):

Holster rear (planning to add a piece of plasticard to the back to stabilize underneath the pinned attachment piece, since the pleather is rather wobbly)

I've cut down the riding boots.

I have the wrist comm and badge greeblies - they just need paint and a bit of assembly.

The vest and wig are the only big pieces left. I've made a broadcloth mockup of the vest to get the sizing right and have been drawing on it with chalk to try to figure out the best placement for the top yoke & bottom pocket. Made 1 cap sleeve.

Cap sleeve pattern:

Getting closer!!
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... submitted!

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I need to make a few changes, but nothing too difficult. Will post new pics when I've made the fixes.
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endor Leia approved!

To get there, I had to make some changes. First, I had to shorten the sleeves as they were well below the elbow.

Also had to make a long, narrow panel on the front of the shirt to cover up the buttons.

As for the vest, I'd missed that the vertical stitching on the back of the yoke mimics the front, as in, it's only on one side. So I had to rip out the stitching, scrunch it up, and iron it several times, to get the creases out.

Next thing was the waistband on the vest. In looking at various WIP threads here, I noticed that some ladies' vests had waistbands and some just tucked in the vests. I preferred the tucked-in look because it meant less fabric on my waist. But, the belt has to hide the waistband of the pants, and it was pretty much impossible to keep my belt where it belonged without the waistband.

Also, the coffee table book (which, silly me, I hadn't looked at since the very beginning of this project) clearly shows a waistband.

So I added one:

Note that in the reference it's just topstitched on there, which I suppose is better than having a thick seam to contend with.

I was afraid the waistband would add too much bulk to the vest above my middle but actually it seems to fit the same as before. Also, not tucking it in means less bulk showing under my pants in the back. Although for trooping I may add velcro to keep the vest closed, and maybe some to the belt to keep it in place.
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, here's a post on how I did the wig, which took a bit of trial and error.

Fortunately, Jenna pointed me in the right direction & suggested a half wig, which basically clips in with combs halfway back on your head. (I also learned that half wigs are also sometimes called 3/4 wigs). Here's the one I got (25" straight, medium brown).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Mega-Thick-Half-Wig-Fall-Clip-In-Hair-Piece-3-4-Full-Head-Wig-1-Class-Ship-gg-/371175169396 It's only $14.95, and shipped very quickly. Per Jenna's advice, I avoided anything with lots of layers, because you need one length to do the braids.

I was happy with the half wig; it didn't tangle, which was good since I hadn't braided anything since elementary school.

I put the half wig on a foam head to work with - no way could I work with it while it was on my head! I started by making 4 braids, all for use in the figure 8:

I did a lot of trial and error to get to that point, due to my lack of braiding skills. I also discovered that the further back you can set the two front braids, the better it'll go into the figure 8.

Loop the two rear braids, over, then under. Tuck the ends of each into the "hole" made by the other side's loop "over".

One thing I discovered early on is that I needed more than just the cheap bobby pins I'd been working with, because those little things wouldn't hold any of this in place. So I went to Sally's beauty supply and got some longer, brown pins. These sometimes needed to be bent to contour to the head. Also got some of these thingies:

Then, do the same with the two front braids, over, then under. Due to a weird trick of lighting, the rubber bands look light grey and stand out in these pics. They're actually black and don't show when it's all done. But this is why you want to set the 2 front braids as far back as you can, so they'll wind in more easily.

Tuck the ends of the front braids into the "loop" - they'll stick out for now.

At this point, I had to fiddle around with all the bobby pins to try to get these braids to stay put and look like figure 8's. If there's a science to it, I don't know, it was just kinda trial and error. (And I still fiddle with the pins before wearing.)

Then the ends have to be pulled forward and tucked under the sides of the wig, and secured with bobby pins. This is the part I have to keep re-doing before events, because it will stay put when I put it on my head but those pins fall out when I take it off.

To secure everything, I tried hair spray but it did literally nothing. A friend suggested sewing the braids in place. Meaning more like tying them together with matching thread at the points where they connect. I will have to give this a try sometime.

For the braids that go around the head, I used "Revlon Boho Braids" - they are headband braids that just slide right on your head. They have dark brown, medium brown, frosted (brown with blonde highlights) and dark blonde. The upside is they're easy to use, downside is they're pricey at $20-25 each. http://www.sallybeauty.com/revlon-boho-braid/SBS-172278,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=iPfeeds-_-GoogleShopping-_-Ready_To_Wear_Extensions-_-SBS-172278

I tried the dark brown first, because that's what they had in the store and I was in a rush to get this done for Comic Con. I also bought brown hair spray to cover the front of my hair, since it's varying shades of auburn. (I pinned up the rest of my own hair in the back under the half wig.)

Here's a pic from my first submission, but you can tell their dark brown is REALLY dark, and shows against the medium brown half wig in back and the brown spray in front:

Unfortunately, my dog got into my supply bag on the 4th of July when panicking out about fireworks, and chewed up the braids.

So, I went to another Sally's and bought the medium brown this time. They blend in much better, I think:

And with the medium braids I can maybe even get away without using the brown spray in front - which is good because that spray is a MESS and never really cures, so it gets all over my hands if I touch my head. I didn't use the spray at SDCC and it seemed to work:

Anyway, just wanted to share what I learned about how to do the wig; hopefully this will be helpful!
PaleoLaura (Laura Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Your costume looks fantastic!

I still struggle with braiding my hair in the back. I have the Boho braids also for the front but use my own hair in back. Most times we end up redoing it several times before it looks proper. I'll have to work on it from your description and pics and see if I can get my own braids to look that nice.

Anyway, congrats again! Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your approval. Smile

A couple of points on the hairdo from a long haired gal.
Leia's hairdo consists of basically four braids; two smaller braids in front that goes around the head an under the braided buns in back, and two larger braids that together form an infinity loop.
This is how I'd do this, but another way may be easier or you may do it differently with a half wig and extensions.
1) Part all the forehead hair from the rest and split it into two equal parts. These are braided 'on top of the head' and so the left goes right and the right goes left.
2) Then part the rest of the hair into two parts of equal size and braid them, too. All braids should be fairly tight.
3) Wrap the smaller forehead braids around the head. Remember the left goes to the right and the right to the left around the head so they cross each other. Fasten them at the base of the other two braids in the back.
4) Then wrap the braids around their own base, covering the ends of the smaller braids before crossing over to the other braid bun. One should go under, one should go over when they cross and then tuck the ends under each bun. This way all ends should be tucked away where they cannot be seen.

You should be able to do this with 50 cm (~25 inches) long hair though 70-80 would be better. If your hair is thick and there's a lot of it you might be able to do this without extensions, otherwise I suggest extensions for the smaller braids that go around the head.

I hope that is helpful to someone. Smile

(And no, I can't do this without extensions as I don't have nearly enough hair on my head to make it look good).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: