Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7142c9e1d1be420cd8bca7f25f93a760Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Helmet WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK280 (Dan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having some Pic upload issues, but the mold / buck was completed and split into it's two halves. One more day to drill air holes and build risers and the first prototype will be ready to pull. Once the prototype is assembled, I'll finish the visor mold and an interest / sale thread will be going up. I'm MUCH happier with these new molds, they are far more accurate the the first attempt.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY interested in your build. New guy getting into this stuff and am starting with helmets.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thumper (Katie Zajdel)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm curious how the build is going? I'm looking for Y-wing helmets and would love to grab a couple kits from you when they're available. Smile Thanks!
TK280 (Dan)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The molds were finished and I vac'd a test pull ( which turned out great ) but after putting the two halves together, it's still too big. I think I can rework the molds AGAIN to shrink it down, but it really took the wind out of my sails, so it's on the back burner a little longer, sorry.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I know how that feels. Don't let it hold you back, though, just call it a learning experience and give it another shot. Perfection ain't easy. Laughing

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TK280 (Dan)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... after looking over the movie stills again, I don't think the size is as far off as I originally thought. I'm going to assemble the prototype at least for a display and see if I can get some pics up.
TK280 (Dan)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sitting on this helmet for far too long and finally decided to finish painting this thing up and get some pics posted. I lost the pics of the helmet in plain gray primer, I think they showed the detail better. I have some rough / basic measurements based on the helmet's orientation at the time of the photos:: Width 9 1/2 in Length 12 1/2 in Height 12 1/2 in Visor opening W 6 1/2 in H 6 1/4 in The Trooper helmet is a basic ANH size, I believe the X-Wing is from Mark, and as awesome as it is, I bought it for my son several years ago, It's too small to fit me. I hope the pics post....
Comments, criticism, suggestions welcome...

https://i.imgur.com/UReEAJj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QPPke1L.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2FCAoPP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Infix9g.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BcXYTKn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nQE2dqN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6cW6NBt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xmdop3J.jpg
TK280 (Dan)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, So how bout this, does anyone have some general measurements for the RA or Frank's Y-Wing buckets ? I'm still trying to determine if my Vac molds are still too large. The more I look at the finished prototype, I feel they're OK and not that far off. I'm looking for overall width, height, length, and width and height of the visor opening. I'm looking at finishing the visor molds and doing a small run, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Smile
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also doing a build. I got the version 2 pepakura file built up. It is 12.4 in front to back, 9.7in wide and 11.9 inches high. I have a big head and I can fit in it, tight but still looks right to me.

EDIT: I will post pics to my thread this weekend.
TK280 (Dan)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the stats, it looks like our buckets are nearly the same size. The scale of that helmet always throws me off, the head fits in the front half of the helmet, then the rear half is empty... I'm working on the visor mold and would like to try a pull in the next few weeks, but we'll see. There is a local Con coming up after first of the year, I may just make a few helmets to use as trade fodder.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the measurements of the accurate helmet but the size of yours looks pretty darn close to me. I'd say that you're good with it. And man, I want one. Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
TK280 (Dan)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since I updated this one. I scrapped the old visor mold and started a new one today, it should be done tomorrow, and I picked up a large stock pot at a re-sale shop for dying them. My Vac-table platen required a rebuild last month, so with winter on the down slide, I'm looking to knock a few of these out very soon. Yet another project.. reworking my Battlefront / A-Wing helmet molds... Should be a fun summer Very Happy
TK280 (Dan)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all... I finally tested out my rebuilt table by knocking out another set of pulls using .080 HIPS. It pulled crazy tight and I think .100 or my normal .125 is the way to go with these. I also tested the visor mold with .040 Polycarb and .125 HIPS just to check the fit, size, etc... I have a few minor tweaks, but i'm very pleased and may post up a small run interest thread before I purchase more HIPS and PETG. I'll see about posting some new pics in the next day or so. I'm also finishing greeblie models to 3D print.
Helmet kits are just around the corner Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounding awesome. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: