Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e2608f602598ee6f8a01cdb231eb615dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

2015 Air and Scare - 24 Oct 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Freedom Base Event Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGaines107 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lori! Look at all those people! This will be one for making memories! Come out and support your Base, support the Legion and in short, just take the day to have fun be it a couple hours or the long haul!
IWantToBelieve (Liz Gutierrez)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is right at the deadline, but I'd like to attend. This will be a good first event for me!
Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 6 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWantToBelieve wrote:
Sorry if this is right at the deadline, but I'd like to attend. This will be a good first event for me!

Please follow the sign up instructions and links on the first post of this thread to sign up for attendance and get on the listing for the museum asap!!!!

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger roger, and done! Can't wait to meet all of you!
midichlorianlori (Lori Frye)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a look at the schedule for the event, we have two gaps where no one has signed up for the Rebel Legion table- we could really use two volunteers for each of these time slots:

4-5 PM

6-7 PM

If you are able to volunteer for either of these time slots, please let sign up on the tab marked "RL Table Sign-Ups" on the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H0iPPhNpO8DVi7qgfSDwzPMkdo_f43GyM4YCcAPXltY/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!
Skywalker2B ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do it if I'm not in photo ops at those times.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll switch to 6-7, so long as someone can work with me, or at least instruct me on what to do?
TGaines107 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to meeting you Liz. Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the RL table shifts are filled. Thanks to everyone who stepped up to volunteer!
Forestmoonstudio ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to back out. The Gonk has not been troop tested and not sure this would be an event of this size to troop it for the first time.
It's a heavy and hot costume and I have no idea how long I could stay in it. That's why I didn't sign up for any specific photo op time and didn't really want to roam in it with the limited visibility.
Hope everyone has a great and safe troop.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forestmoonstudio wrote:
I decided to back out. The Gonk has not been troop tested and not sure this would be an event of this size to troop it for the first time.
It's a heavy and hot costume and I have no idea how long I could stay in it. That's why I didn't sign up for any specific photo op time and didn't really want to roam in it with the limited visibility.
Hope everyone has a great and safe troop.

I'm sorry you can't make it, Scott. Thanks for letting me know!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parking list has just gone to the Smithsonian, so no one else can be added to get the free parking at this point. Thanks!
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE READ...........

Here are the final event day details about Air & Scare from the Smithsonian:

Arrival Time:

Most volunteers should plan on arriving at noon. Please do not arrive earlier than noon unless you are one of the people who has been in touch with Anna Mitchell, Rick Bouwhuis or Lori Frye about arriving early to be on the set-up crew. We have about 170 volunteers this year, so please give us time to get ready for you before all of you arrive. The event actually starts at 2 PM and runs until 7 PM.

Parking:

We will be parking at the same place we did in previous years. Note that for the free volunteer parking, you should not go in through the main entrance to the museum- you will be charged $15 if you park there. Volunteers must enter through the Route 50 gate (non-public gate) and must park in the northwest parking area behind the museum. Their names will be on an approved parking list and they will be checked in at the Rt. 50 entrance. The Smithsonian has provided a parking map which I have posted on Google Docs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRctezU96uraDAwbkMzQzhxZVk/view?usp=sharing

If you have any trouble accessing the map through Google Docs, please send me a PM with your e-mail address before 9 AM on Air & Scare Day and I can e-mail a copy of the map to you.

If you have not signed up for the parking list yet, please do so as soon as possible- I will be sending the final list to the Smithsonian before work on Thursday morning, so I need everyone to sign up by Wednesday at 10 PM to give me time to update the list. You can sign up on the Google Docs spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H0iPPhNpO8DVi7qgfSDwzPMkdo_f43GyM4YCcAPXltY/edit?usp=sharing

If you are using a GPS to get there, search for Chantilly Baptist Lane in Chantilly, VA, but go straight to the security gate instead of turning right to go to the church. Be sure to bring a photo ID in case they ask for it at security.

Where to Go When You Arrive:

Unlike prior years, 501st/RL/Mando volunteers do not need to check in at the volunteer table located near the Northwest entrance that all other volunteers will be using, and we should not get wristbands from the check-in table.

Our green room area is in Classrooms 2A and 2B: from the volunteer entrance, go straight until you reach the Blackbird plane, then take a left turn and go all the way back into the Claude Moore Education Center, then take the hallway to the left, and the classrooms are on the right side. They are before you reach the IMAX theater.

The museum requires that only event volunteers are allowed into Classrooms 2A and 2B; friends and family members who are not working for the event are not allowed into the room. Non-costumed volunteers who are assisting as handlers need to stop at the check-in table inside the classrooms and pick up a volunteer badge. Everyone who has a shift at a photo op, at the 501st or Rebel Legion tables or as a handler should stop at the check-in table, so we can identify any volunteers who didn’t make it and line up a replacement as quickly as possible.

For any friends and family members attending the event, but not volunteering, McDonald's will be open for the entire event.

Given our large number of volunteers, please be considerate and pack up your costume gear when you are finished changing and stow your costumes along the walls of the room instead of leaving them on the tables. We will need to keep the tables clear so others have room to change or eat.

Volunteer Meeting:

All volunteers should gather in the classroom at 1:15, and we will have a brief meeting to make sure everyone knows the ropes.

Trooping Tips:

We have learned from past experience that it is best not to troop in the museum entrance hallway: this event draws huge crowds (20,000 or more people), and our costumed presence causes big traffic jams. Please be aware of the need to let traffic get past you wherever you troop; please avoid blocking hallway intersections, restrooms and elevators. We have a large number of volunteer handlers- please troop in groups and bring a handler with you to assist with crowd control, line management and traffic flow. If the crowd of spectators is blocking a hallway, your handlers can help arrange them into a line which does not block traffic.

Please do not point your prop blasters directly at any of the museum guests, even if they request it. Please treat your blaster at this event like it is a real weapon; keep it pointed away from people and keep your finger off the trigger.

Food for Volunteers:

The museum provides lots of water and some food, but at 170 volunteers, we have outgrown the museum’s ability to feed all of us. Please bring food to share- we will place all food donations on the tables in the front of the classroom. Eating usually is not allowed in the classroom, and they make a special exception for us, so please avoid bringing any very crumbly food or food that will stain the carpet.

End of Event Photo Shoot:

Things will be working differently at the photo shoot after the event closes than it has in prior years. Due to the large number of people we will have, the museum asks that only people who are actually in the photos should be in the space hangar after 7 PM when the photos are being taken. Any friends and family members who are not in the photo cannot be in thPle space hangar while we are taking the photos. We can have a few people who are designated photographers to take pictures and distribute them to the whole group: if you are a good photographer and won’t be in the photos, please let Lori Frye or Rick Bouwhuis know and you may be able to be one of our designated photographers.

We also have a pre-planned order of photos and a schedule this year to make everything go smoothly. We have planned it to get the biggest amount of people done first, and to have smooth transitions between the photos.

7:00 PM- 501st and Mandalorian Mercs should head to the space hangar and line up in the hallway outside the space hangar: I will direct line-up for the first photo. Rebel Legion members should line up at the end of the 501st, and then R2 Builders behind Rebel Legion.

7:15 PM: 501st and Mando Mercs photo- first buckets on, then buckets off.

7:25 - 501st, Mando Mercs, RL and R2 Builders group photo- buckets off then buckets on (Bring RL on to the side of 501st and R2 Builders in front)

7:35 - 501st, Mando Mercs, RL and R2 Builders and Boy Scouts (add Boy Scouts in front)

7:40 - 501st, Mando Mercs, RL and R2 Builders battle shot (Move out Boy Scouts, 501st/RL/R2s quickly turn in current positions and point weapons)

7:45 - RL group photo, buckets on then buckets off (RL turns from battle position and moves to center)

7:50 - R2 Builders group photo

After Party at Red Robin:

After the event is over, we will be heading over to Red Robin at 14450 Chantilly Crossing Lane, Chantilly, VA 20151. Please be considerate and patient to the wait staff: according to the RSVPs so far we have 147 people planning to attend, which is a far larger number than we have ever had in the past. It is only natural to expect some service delays because of the huge number of people who will be converging on them at once.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
oddbodkins (Chris Daly)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless i'm doing this wrong (and i may well be), i'm on the Google doc to show up at 10 am, but i have NOT heard from Anna Mitchell, Rick Bouwhuis or Lori Frye. Where does that put me? i'm only available from 10 a.m. until noon-ish, so i want to make sure i can help out as much as possible.
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddbodkins wrote:
Unless i'm doing this wrong (and i may well be), i'm on the Google doc to show up at 10 am, but i have NOT heard from Anna Mitchell, Rick Bouwhuis or Lori Frye. Where does that put me? i'm only available from 10 a.m. until noon-ish, so i want to make sure i can help out as much as possible.

You are fine to show up at 10 to help set up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Freedom Base Event Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: