Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e6ea7eca0eadaebd586138f5bde64788Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano - Adult [Build] (season 3-5) *WIP*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srsmith332 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm away from home at the moment but I have an announcement to make.

This headpiece, as I've stated before, is the most challenging thing I have ever set my mind to in creating. Many fans cringe at the thought of making this headpiece, and that superstition is very real. I have spent a total of 110+ hrs on this edition with clay. I'm quite close to having it finished, that is if the reinforcements hold on the very end edges of this headpiece. I will complete this character, with every mistake I make, I get closer.

What demolishes me inside is their is no way anyone, anywhere, from a physical standpoint, out there that can help me. My local contact, whom I've supposed to of met 5 times by now, has not had a convenient moment to help me. My car accident happened on the day that was garenteed to have our meeting take place. I'll end this pouting session short, but I'm supremely discouraged and after being alone for 18+ years, I feel like I could use a serious break.

You'll get your images soon.

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crisis managing skills on the horn install.

The results of what I produced thus far:

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting this from Chicago, I have some developments cooking up here at C2E2 with the Midwest Garrison detachment of the 501st and also with the Rebel Legion. I've add great strides in getting commentary, tips, advice, ways and methods of construction into making props with a most unusal nature. Sadly I lost my phone at a bar the night beforw. I had my some of my pictures of my WIP in there that I a haven't posted up yet, I think I'll need consider those pics a loss for now. I also talked to the Mandaolorian group down here too, it's pretty clear cut how they do their armors. What I'm VERY interested in is seeing amazing cosplays, and begin a dialogue with that individual. I've met about 4 people on the show floor so for. Today being Sunday, I wonder how many of them will bother showing up.

Yes, conventions are the place to go to get your info mating, but it's heavily advised that you prepare yourself before you even make your trip to the location in question. Such as:

-Examine your prop design, where are the areas your struggling. Write them down in keywords or in full question format. On a notepad or a tablet, whichever you prefer. Understand you will be carrying this thing around with you all day. A notepad is fine in most cases.
-Finding local talent in your neck of the woods is vital in receiving support for your overall project. When i mean local, i mean in nearby states (or countries, for everyone outside the US). Wisconsin is no place for a costumer, they all live in Indiana or Illinois! If your doing anything like an Adult Togrutan, you will need the support, advice, and even direction from those that have made strides thee crafts your using to make it happen. This is, of course, if your trying to make it look right. Write down a checklist of people who you need to find. When you have dialogues with cosplayers either on the show floor or abroad, I've noticed they really don't want to waste their time with you. Or at least that is how they were with me. -10 pts in faith in humanity!
-Make connections! Even if you are far away from home, Facebook, instagram, or snap chat specs can go a long way to keep in touch with those abroad. Cosplay does not have a universal conduit for us to tap into when it comes to keeping in touch with one another. We need to forge those lines of connections ourselves. Conventions are the closest thing to a conduit for us to convene at. Practice your tradecraft, read a book on communicating with people. Here's a good tip to start with: A person's name is one of the greater compliments you can give to that person. It's one of the most personal things we have, and having another fellow human being remembering you in that way gives you a strange sense of satisfaction.
-Keywords for your research are important whenever you go onto Google or YouTube for assistance. Break down an informative discussion with someone with keywords, get their perspective as well. Dumbing it down a bit might yield even more helpful ways to contribute to this productive subject later down the line.
-Bring a mechanical pencil or two if your bringing a notepad. I can't tell you how often my pens dry up or just stop working on that bloody thing.
-Make plenty of pictures of your project before you leave. Write down all your doubts, fears, misadventures with your project. Your about to go on a journey for answers to solve these second-thoughts.
-Find people who might live around you, you will need to determine what is the 'far enough' point from where you live. That range is what I call the 'local' setting. Even if they don't have skills at all and just bought their cosplay, and have an interest in the craft, meet at common group or go to their house to receive one of the most important resources in any cosplay: Some helping hands! Absolutely critical if you want to lifecast yourself, for instance.

This is all I can must up for now. Time, to hunt down some hidden professionals Smile.

PS: Using my tablet right now. Try reading through those autocorrects and typos Very Happy

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cons can be a great way to meet people, but sometimes people are busy at cons, because they have a schedule to follow. It depends on the type of con and person.

I hope you had a good time there.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
skykat ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are always way busy at cons. My suggestion. Get with your local base/garrison and do some non-costume support.

I started doing that in January. Just an event a month, and it gives you a chance to go to events, and meet with the folks that are in your base/garrison.

I've had a wealth of information and assistance since I've started doing it and lots of new friends to help me.
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overreacted here, I do apologize for that. When your asking a ton of questions to yourself on what is the most important out of the lot, you tend to forget that you will need to always rephrase yourself since the people you are asking are in costume. I asked all of the frequent questions I posted in this thread, and I constantly got interrupted. I'm sure you can see the frustration. It's never a sure thing they'll get back to you online. Mind as well get your questions answered on the spot since they are there. You will have to have a good memory though, they will always be a queue of people wanting a picture of that person.

This lesson lingered in my head that night, I don't know why it took me so long to digest this.

C2E2 2016 was an amazing time for me. I saw loads of people, probably made a few enemies, but made alot more friends than the contrary. Loads of contacts, got a hold of many different cosplay groups. The sad bit of news is they are no where near Milwaukee, they are all quite a bit of a drive away from me. Armor parties and further discussions with other cosplay groups will reveal more info to me about what is local around here. I'll need to brace myself ahead for the long drives to Illinois from Wisconsin. When your average drive is around 1 hr, you tend to think 1 1/2hrs or 2 hrs is a road trip (one way)! Heh.

On the construction front, a fun-fact update. One of the contacts I made @ C2E2 was a master sculptor. He's actually captivated about my project and wants to help me in a hands on manner. I got time off all of next week I planned months ahead of time for. I want to make the best of it with sculpting either a new headpiece (the right way) or perform the necessary fixes on Mk IV.

On the hunt for experienced individuals who can:
-Make a very elaborate 5-6 piece mold
-Clay working techniques. For example, is their a way to keep clay warm BUT not have it melt? Using a heat gun on the sculptor than your new piece of clay, than pre-treating the clay with more head once the new clay is on the sculpture can take alot of time. Is there a way to just keep sculpting without having the concern of the clay not 'mend' itself to your sculpture?
-Locals who have some airbrush experience. A full body makeup job is not an easy thing to do solo. 501st detachments in Illinois and Wisconsin may be able to assist. Have been told that alot members in both parties (even in the RL) don't really interact with those folks who go to the conventions. If they do, they are all on the show floor, blending in with the cosplay crowd. Makes them quite hard to spot.
-The ever persistent issue of finding good armature material, along with it's corresponding stuffing to give it internal strength against the pushings of oil clay. This is if oil clay is being used.

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why it takes me so long to do what people can do in a few days. People don't tell me anything. It really hurts me deep down that people are so gosh darn cruel. I'm merely a man whose doing all he can to make his character come to life but all I see are people trying to profiteer off of the work I'm attempting to do and people who make decent one-offs that could work for my mold layup. They are all quite hush hush though. Wanting to be in this community doesn't seem all that inviting anymore. When I'm done with this Ahsoka, I think I'll retire for good. I've gone through the gauntlet of people in my local area, were too wide spread and no where near eachother. The internet has many comfort zones but I refuse to be in such a place, living outside of the box is what I do, all I can say is I'm a rare bird who is forced to fly solo. In time, I'll live with it, but it's no life I would wish on anyone.

I'm a mentally challenged individual who works alot, has alot happening in life, and I do what I can, where I can. When an issue arises, I don't sit down and let it control me. I find it's solution. Although when others attempt to bring me down too, it takes all of my energy to resist getting violent. I feel like I'm on my last straw. Whatever, apologizes for expressing a very human post, your here for the build:

Bad idea to schedule a weekend off in vacation when all the stores close super early. Will proceed with work on Monday when the stores re-open.

*Chill out.*

-Following my acquaintance's lead from C2E2 with a PVC Armature with Train Scenery Diorama.
-Hunt down a crockpot
-Follow up on my facebook discussions with people on ideas on attacking this headpiece, look until I've searched the end of the barrel.

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience, Padawan Smile (sorry, couldn't resist)

I've not personally worked with making molds yet, but I do know that making a head piece takes a LOT of clay. I know a couple guys here in Indiana that work with it, one makes clone armor, the other armor and latex masks. One thing you can do is start with a foam head, get the dense solid packing foam (like they pack computers & such in) and build up your lekku, use an electric knife to carve it down under your desired size... this is just a filler, and probably a LOT easier than trying to make a skeletal type structure with pipes. Then add your clay, probably at least an inch thick for strength. Let it harden, and you have your basic mold. From there, there's making a negative for your pull... that, you'll have to consult your contacts.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
Patience, Padawan Smile (sorry, couldn't resist)

I've not personally worked with making molds yet, but I do know that making a head piece takes a LOT of clay. I know a couple guys here in Indiana that work with it, one makes clone armor, the other armor and latex masks. One thing you can do is start with a foam head, get the dense solid packing foam (like they pack computers & such in) and build up your lekku, use an electric knife to carve it down under your desired size... this is just a filler, and probably a LOT easier than trying to make a skeletal type structure with pipes. Then add your clay, probably at least an inch thick for strength. Let it harden, and you have your basic mold. From there, there's making a negative for your pull... that, you'll have to consult your contacts.

*Heh...*
I had the perfect picture to reply with! However my blu-ray player doesnt work on the PC and I can't screencap from a TV, grrr

Thank you for posting. I never wanted this thread to get popular you know. If it wasn't, I'm sure it would of been overlooked. Like I said, this has been an emotional rollercoaster. Here's to me hoping everyone likes reading (or looking) along with me on my journey.

Monday, why can't you come sooner! It's sad I had to remember this, but Ahsoka Mk. 4 needs to be demolished Crying or Very sad

Mk.5 is going in a new direction. This time, I'll have the peer advice from expert cosplay groups, SPFX professionals (2 of them), and real life advice from some of the best cosplays at C2E2 had to offer. If I must ask Adam Savage himself, I will do it!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great you have found some new contact to help you out. It is certainly a learning process. Hopefully the new headpiece will turn out much better. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with an idea today and it worked. Crowbarred the headpiece off, instead of destroying it!

For the most part, it kept all the important proportions intact and unscathed! This will save me time later on during Mk.5. Feeling desperate to work on something, all my equipment is at the other workshop I don't got access to now. *continuing to pace until than*

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you folks but making this character feels like a religious experience to me. Bringing a pure spirit to life to walk the world we live in. I'm beginning to think this project may be a primary highlight of my young adult life. Times like these, I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel when I know it's an illusion, but my god what a glorious illusion it is. The euphoria that cosplay can invoke, who could ever really know for certain what this feeling is. Words for such a feeling are beyond our comprehension.

Thought I'd share.
Little cliff note to read years from now when I'm older. Smile

---

Little update from today:

Hooked up with the Dark Empire and the 501st Flagship Eclipse branch today. Met a person or two may offer some assistance. One of the two is a very promising lead. Right now I'm collecting ideas from everyone to get some ideas on how to approach my headpiece, one step at a time. If my current build fails than, I got a good idea to try during the next round at my headpiece, instead of not making any kind of construction effort towards making it a reality. Second guessing myself on how to approach this thing again is both unproductive and can easily become a vicious thought that keeps looping in one's mind. Got about 3 solid ideas for a new build. Many small lingering questions annoy me though, they will be answered shortly, if my luck holds up.

Construction front:
General PVC supports cut. Raw cuts is all they are. Two of the horns and one for the bridge to support both pipes after I heat-treat these pieces to contour with the montral from Mk.4. Can accomplish at my other workshop.

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it would be productive to list my current issues. Some are actually questions that need to be answered:

The currently planned armature is going to be made out of PVC with junctions. Those will jut off of each horns curved horn PVC support to create exterior wall support for a wire mesh sheet, which will be molded around the headpiece on all sides. It should lock into itself, the wire mesh. Concerns listed for this build alone:

-The PVC is 1 1/2" thick. How will this wire mesh hold up to oil clay and the gaps between each support? *Thinking trial and error = answer*
-The cap! How am I going to make the cap for this?!

If this approach fails, I have these alternate methods to try. Pictures + Descriptions included.

My hunt has borned fruit. Now on the construction front, I must wait for my heat gun to thaw out from the excessive moisture from yesterday nights rain storm. Another element of the cosplay has come under attack as well.

Weight Loss:

I've taken in a degree of weight in the past month. About 4 lbs worth thanks to family gatherings, hot pockets, and poor grocery planning. All because of this headpiece and the challenges it's throwing at me. Very cerebral, it is. I can manage everything very well from memory, digestive timing and a bigger diet however are my weak spots. I've thought about going vegan a few times, the thought of being sick x3 as long as the average person who eats meat has kept me away from incomplete protein sources. Drinking tea could help with that, a new habit to form will take practice like everything else. Doing HIITs are simple enough but doing muscle training in conjunction with HIITs can be a tricky business.

Having Leg day BEFORE the day you'll do a HIIT will yield the maximum result from that workout. The max HIITs you can do in a week is 3 without giving yourself damaged joints. Having Pineapple as a post - workout basis on leg days are life savers too, and 4 250mg Tylenol pills will aid you too if you really need it! Haha. This one day in the week should set your whole workout schedule for that week. All the other HIITs than will be less intense, but yield amazing results still.

TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only resource I could suggest, if you have not done this yet, was to go through the Membership Database (Member Portal - Member Roster - Current Members) and search the Jedi category, to see who has an approved Ahsoka or Shaak-Ti costume... and reach out to them directly. They may be able to share their experience and resources with you.

I searched through page #21 and found these three so far: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=11333
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=11234
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=10890

There may be some sculpting and molding resources on theRPF.com

ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ
Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
Legion Costume Judge
UCGR Detachment XO
Echo Base Captain
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered carving the shapes out of foam? You could laminate several sheets of extruded foam in the general shape, then rough it out using a rasp or foam knife. More care is needed because you'd be using blades, sharp files, and a hot-wire. Neutral

It would be lighter, and you could add clay to build up and refine the shape. The foam would be it's own armature, so no internal support to worry about. Just another approach if you wanted to sculpt then cast it.

ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ
Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
Legion Costume Judge
UCGR Detachment XO
Echo Base Captain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: