Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cdd8fd8285c4046321a739b4eac6ddaeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano - Adult [Build] (season 3-5) *WIP*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srsmith332 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
Have you considered carving the shapes out of foam? You could laminate several sheets of extruded foam in the general shape, then rough it out using a rasp or foam knife. More care is needed because you'd be using blades, sharp files, and a hot-wire. Neutral

It would be lighter, and you could add clay to build up and refine the shape. The foam would be it's own armature, so no internal support to worry about. Just another approach if you wanted to sculpt then cast it.

Oh cool! Thanks for replying.

I've been curious as to know how well Expansion Foam could hold up to the stresses of making a mold. In the case of it being capable of all the stress involved in the work on the material.

Someone who I've bumped into in my local base said I could make this thing into a fiberglass mold. I don't know how I could do that, but I know that molding process can be quite light and easy on clay, something I could do on any sculpture peice I'm sure.

I'm also curious as to how a cap could be made for this sculpture. I had an idea of using Painter's Wrap, surrounding my head cast with this, use a vacuum to suck all the air out of the inside of the covered head cast, use Expansion foam, cut it all out, sand it to a good armature, than apply clay for the desired shape. This is the attempt I'll do next as I'm in the middle of a armature design right now that involved special equipment (which I only have at my other, larger workshop atm). When this attempt is done, I will do the Expanding Foam method.

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny update: Headpiece Mk. V Attempt

PVC Substructures.

Took so long to get here due to misadventure and lack of materials. Speaking of which, found out my 'L' brackets were left at home, had to stop progress for tonight. Will make up for it tomorrow!... if nothing happens.

These are 1 1/2" pipe btw. Stock lot, they are.

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like the communities critique here:

Alcohol based Body Inks: Which is better?
Temptu pro dura or Reel Creations?

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build Update:

1 1/2" Pipe Substructure foundations complete. Now need to add the extensions for the diorama to wrap around.

Heat Treatments needed around the horn region, but not much. Will do it when I get to that point of the project. No point in guessing right now. Just need to pray I got enough L Brackets to do this job.

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an unrelated build question, but could this Ahsoka ever be considered an 'approved' edition of Ahsoka? I think her character, from a generic standpoint, would be approved when all the physical criteria has been met. However would this makeup change things? She turned to the dark side in this episode.

My desire runs ultra deep in making this edition!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a dark side version of Ahsoka, not likely.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news people.

My car is officially dead. Got many medical appointments in the coming weeks. My left eye is dangerously scratchy and needs to get checked out. A few other things too have sprung up to challenge my drive. Murphy is going to be surely disappointed that he messed with me! I'll return to this quest shortly, once I show these problems whose boss around these parts.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad. Take care of yourself; the costume will still be there later.

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
Have you considered carving the shapes out of foam? You could laminate several sheets of extruded foam in the general shape, then rough it out using a rasp or foam knife. More care is needed because you'd be using blades, sharp files, and a hot-wire. Neutral

It would be lighter, and you could add clay to build up and refine the shape. The foam would be it's own armature, so no internal support to worry about. Just another approach if you wanted to sculpt then cast it.

Yes! That was the idea I was thinking of exactly! Although I'm wondering what kind of foam I'd need to use. Exact examples can help out tremendously.

You see, what I will need is a foam that will be able to contour to my head shape from the start. I was thinking I could wrap the headpiece around in Painters Plastic, Tape it down shut around all the corners, Vaccum all the air out of the plastic, Use Vaseline on the sculpt to act as a release agent (not sure if it will work, am told it should for Expanding Foam), Use Great Stuff Expanding Foam to make coats on the sculpt and layer it up over the course of a couple of days, Use Cardboard with cutout joints in them as levels for the expanding foam to build up from, Carve it when it's quite 'bulky', Next proceed to the clay layer up (this is where the fun begins!), after that, the long awaited molding process can begin!

(Can't help myself right. All I'm thinking about is this project, helps me sleep at night.)

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I got a new car. Now I got things to do... evil plans to hatch >Smile.

I realized that it simply is not worth trying to re-invent an idea for an armature when one of the ideas pitched here will do pexactly what I need. I'm going to dutch the PVC build of the headpiece in place of the Expanding Foam. However I will need to rush this process as soon as possible if I want to get some serious, critical aid in the mold making process.

Why? I got invited to my first armor party! Its in a week from today though... talk about timing! One guy, who just so happens to organize these parties in my local garrison, reached out to me when I asked for help on molding practices and techniques. He got real detailed with his responses, I asked questions on top of his reply! I didn't understand 1/2 of what he said. Personal experiences, advice applied to my particular prop with additional context, I needed these extra Qs answered. It never happened. I plan those answers from the gentleman when I go. On top of thst, I would LOVE for him to get physical with my headpiece! Advice from a veteran prop master is invaluable to this thing being molded... properly.

The foam will needed to be laid up on something, I'm thinking cardboard cutouts with slots in them as leveled bridges to hold incurred foam. Once it sets, I assume you can keep adding on to already set/cured expanding foam. I know this stuff is quite sticky.

Bad news again. The people who sell local moleskin fabric are going out of business Sad. That means I'll need to find more of a different kind of moleskin. If the color is even remotely 'off' by a bit, the whole outfit will need to be redone.

I'll park this question here, perhaps one of you people know the answer to this:

The prop's skin is going to be made of silicone. Dragon skin Silicone, if that allows the most dexterity in movement, or whatever product would do that job. The inside filling of the prop is going to be 'FlexItFoam' from Smooth On. However if I want to make the best mold possible of this headpiece, silicone is the most accurate medium to do this. With silicone coating the inside of the mold to fabricate a skin, will it stick to the mold? As it starts setting/curing? How about Fiberglass molds with this application of this headpiece sculpture? How much detail will that capture? What's the best alternative here?

Dune Mysthopper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new car! I am interested in seeing how your male Ahsoka turns out. Thank you for all the headdress images, and how to's. Good luck.
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently doing a Expanding Foam buildup.

It's getting alittle out of control, but nothing I can't handle Razz.

Week's worth of build up. Woopie Goldburg would be proud Smile.

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Day 1: "He still doesn't notice me.... o_O."

Began attacking this sculpt until I started having medical issues with my lungs and legs. Starting to recover. Too much time spent at the gym and not enough recovery time, I think is what's happening Shocked

The center of the crown needs more layup work with another can of foam. Want a concrete brick of foam in the fragile areas. The goal is to achieve a good bulk of the inside of this headpiece, to make it easier for the final layering of clay! Although if I need more foam on the top tips of the headpiece, I'll need to get extra creative somehow. If it ain't broke... you know.

Used an electric kitchen knife to husk out the general shape here. The time for manual knife cutting is coming soon. That'll be fun....

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Day 2-3
Just gotta rough out the edges, make it smaller now that the general shape exists, than plaster it up! Started to rain, had to stop.

Happy May 4th!
Very Happy

"Being in the rain, I intrude:"
Headpiece: Um... knock?

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. It's nice to see you keep going at it even when something doesn't work out as planned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: