Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4b271cffca30c3d3d2bffd6881b75343Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sandstorm Leia WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silex ()

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Sandstorm Leia WIP Reply with quote

Hello all : )

I have been lurking on the RL forums for awhile and finally decided to make a costume! I already own an older version by Jamin of the Slave Leia and am in the process of revamping it with new suede, skirts, boots, earrings etc. I have a vibro axe as well. I have drooled over the ROTJ deleted scene Sandstorm cloak for some time and am tackling making one for myself. It has taken quite some time, and countless swatches to finally find what I feel is comparable fabric colors and patterns. I am mid-process in putting together the goggle prop in the photos of the deleted scenes - finding and or making the greeblies and tiny parts has been tedious to say the least. I will post photos as I go!

Here are the reference images that I used for the cape, with the last photo being the original cape pictured in the book Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy by Brandon Alinger.

These are the fabrics that I used for the construction:

The initial cutting of the stripes for the wide striped hem. There are 11 stripes of various widths in three colors (brown, pale yellow and cream).

All the stripes cut out and ready for pinning and sewing together:

The hood proved to be the most complicated piece to invent a pattern for which took several incarnations. The fabric for the hood was hand-dyed for as close a match as I could approximate. I had two yards and was determined to not waste a scrap : )

Here is some patterning for: 1) The golden fabric that lays on the shoulders and connects to the hood. 2) A back panel of the thin brown and cream striped material that connects to the large striped multicolored hem. 3) A few of the front panels pinned together.

I'll post more as I am further along!

I've taken a break from the cloak for a few days and have finished making new boots. I separated the inner liner and outer layer of a pair of suede boots, turning down the cuff of extra suede after the boots were properly shaped to fit the boot toppers. As I have read a few people post, the boots were going to turn out slightly floppy. I incased a "spine" made out of of 18 gauge steel and metal spiral corset boning into the back of the boot. I used some of the extra suede that I had cut off the top of the originally over the knee boots as the casing to hide the spine and provide cushioning. The boots now stand up on their own and support the weight of the boot topper. : )

The base for the googles are a pair of black, smoked lense "Big Ben" motorcycle goggles. They are intended to fit over the top of glasses and have slight padding on the inside that gives a look similar to the prop goggles.

I used a soft goat skin leather for the exterior framing of the googles. After forming a template for the lense shape, I glued the cut leather around the edges of the lenses. I have yet to trim off the extra leather for the final shaping but its coming along.

On another forum discussing the goggles I read that one of the parts on the left hand side of the goggles resembles the the viewfinder that was used in Fett rangefinders. The original part is said to come from a Polaroid pop-up camera. I found one for sale on Ebay for parts (perfect!) and followed instructions on a thread on The Dented Helmet for removing the viewfinder.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f32/polaroid-sx-70-viewfinder-41083/

The latter photo shows the extracted viewfinder, and a combination of 3D printed greeblies and a couple parts that I made myself from extraneous camera and hardware parts. I will post more when I get farther along in the construction. After tooling around for a week, I ditched the center piece I had originally made that fits over the nose/between the eyes. It just wasn't looking close enough to the reference photo, as grainy as it is. After asking around it was suggested that the centerpiece is actually a modified biker scout t-bit arm greeblie. I procured a 3D print of one and am going to modify it : )

In the process...I have made quite the mess of my dining room table!

I'll try to post more near the end of the week with progress. If anyone has suggestions about the goggle construction/ideas please comment and thanks!!

Last edited by Silex () on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, this is looking nice! And a very detailed wip. I like that. Very Happy Good luck with this and keep us posted!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress so far! You've really tracked down excellent materials for this costume. I look forward to seeing it all come together.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
leiabunz ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Did you ever finish this? If so I'd love to ask some questions on patterning!
wildscar ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. Thanks for sharing your work. Look forward to see your completed outfit.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful job!!

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing work...
You should write a tutorial...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: