Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=26c375734e554cbffc01cfb818eca3b4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Answer Thread for Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies) 

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Answer Thread for Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies)  Reply with quote

This is the questions thread for Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies).
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If elected as BCO, what are your propositions to boost our presence in the community? With greater presence, we can hopefully recruit more actively for our membership.

First thanks to Jeff for nominating me and the members of the base for all your service.

First we have to engage our existing members. We need more rapid and effective communication to new and perspective members. As it currently stands a low number of our membership are very active. We need to engage them and find out why. We also need make direct contact with new members and show them how to use the briefing room and actively encourage them to come out. Perhaps by having a Rebel focused activity as a part of a larger joint troop, or by getting more involved in developing our own events. We should also asking members to serve as a mentor to new folks. Alex has been a great help to me and several other Jedi in getting on the right path.

We should also do a bit more when someone does their first troop. Give them a patch and welcome them formally. A little sincere recognition goes a long way.

Second, we need a more effective public presence. Activities like the interviews I was able to create at Denver Comic Con go a long way to getting our name out there. We could also do press releases when we have big events highlight our activities.

Finally we have to keep our commitments and focus on what we do best. Drama and unfulfilled commitments drive people away. We should not take on troops we can't fill, and we should always remeber why we do this. Nothing we are involved in should have negative tone.
Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

South Carolina Relief Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question for both candidates:

What is your vision for the next year?

How can we increase visibility for the Base?

What skills, experience and background do you bring to the position?

My vision is simple. Have fun, do service to the community, and take advantage of the great members we have to grow the base.

I have ideas about growing our role in New Mexico, and have already reached out about having a command staff presence down south. I have trooped with the folks in Utah and am doing a panel with them this week at Salt Lake Comic Con. If we want to grow we have to look beyond Denver.

We can build on the opertunity the new films provide to really get out name out there. Fly our flags and show off what we can do. Attraction works better than promotion and this Base has the ability to shine.

Social activities should be initiated. Meet and Greets can be a great tool if we remember to focus on the meeting and greeting and not let then turn into just the same old folks meeting and excluding new members.

Visibility comes with work. We need to make contacts in our community. I have great number of contacts in the health care and social services community. I also know just about every comic shop owner in town, I propose we do some rebel initiated troops and special key events and work to include the other groups.

As far as my background many of you know me and some do not. I have worked in Healthcare for 27 years and spent the last 5 being the regional leader of a Federal agency. In that role i used my public relations skills to have major impact regionally and nationally. I also work in the event production business. I have worked with many major musical acts, major League Baseball and have produced conventions for over 40,000 people in cities in the US, and Europe.

I am now Executive Director for a large non-profit health plan. I sit on a couple of boards as well. I have a great number of contacts in high positions with every hospital in town and many of the advocacy groups. I am a founding member of the Colorado Comic Book Enthusiasts, of course I am the guy with all the Star Wars comics. I also love Doctor Who, my wife and dogs, not necessarily in that order.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We have spent a few yours now building strong bonds with our local Garrison, Clan and other fan groups. What do you think is the best way to keep those partnerships and strengthen them?

We need to get a way to have the Mercs and the Droid builders access to the briefing room.

We should explore doing a social event with all the fan groups. Something away from a con or troop.

We should continue to build on the great work getting closer to the Garrison, but we need to carry our own weight. We should bring them in to troops we develop not just attend those they work to make occur. Partnership is a 2 way street.

I am a member for Rocky Mountain Fan Force. There is no room for arrogance in the fan world. They are recognized by LFL as well. We need our leadership to be collaborative with them. They are a hotbed of prospective members and have been great partners.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What specifically qualifies you for this position?

My years as a Star Wars Fan first. At the end of the day we do this because we love the Galaxy, and we can do good while enjoying it.

As I said earlier I have extensive expeirence in the club and out. My work in events and PR make me uniquely qualified to move us forward.

My service to the base without a title or a position is well know. I helped design the comic con setup and am already working with leadership across the clubs to evolve our space to be more open and effective. No one asked me to do this I asked to help and was encouraged to do so. I have worked with other bases and the International Legion to get events going. I have invested great deal of time and money in to helping the Legion.

I regularly take off work to cover events. I'm the type that gets there early and leaves late.

Quote:
Have you ever quit a position/ job or been let go?

I have a long career in Public Service and for a large nonprofit and have never been let go, demoted or reprimanded. I have served over 14 volunteer terms for nonprofits and membership groups. I have never failed to finish a commitment.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he briefing room belongs to the Mountain Garrison forum. R2 Builders have some access, and the idea of giving further members only access to non-members has been nixed. I do not believe and could be wrong, that the Rebel Legion does not grant members access to non-members.

It goes with the mindset of if you want the rights and privilege of membership, then become a member.

With that lead-up, to both candidates, do you agree or disagree with that mindset and why.

The fact is I speak regularly with the leadership and members of the other groups and they feel left out and don’t get the information in a timely manner. I want Mercs and Droids at our events, and so do the fans, young and old.

If I was inexact in my words I apologize. The goal of finding a better way to post events is needed that includes all recognised groups remains. It does not have to be on the garsion website if they don’t want it.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My first question deal with your past (both of you). We study history to learn from it. We take what we believe is good and grow/develop from it. And of course to prevent what we do not want to repeat. Since the start of 2015, what have you done to promote Rebel Legion / Mountain Base, beside trooping (again I am only asking about RL/MB, not other clubs since you are seeking to become CO of this club)?

I have worked with 3 comic shops to have them request events directly to the RL.

I worked with command to design and coordinate our DCC area.

I worked at Celebration far in excess of my time commitment and was able to help remediate some of the logistical/ location problems they had in the facility.

I have gotten our name in the public though 2 media outlets.
Setting up interviews of leadership and members.

I established connections with a major hospital group and spoke to their volunteer services leadership about how to contact us.

Quote:
In reading the responses to other questions, I read about great plans if elected but my question here is why are you waiting; why wasn't this done or at least brought up when you were not the BCO?

I have not been waiting. see previous answer.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always hear about growing the base membership and increasing MB events, yet we basically have the same number of members participating in any given non-glamour events if it happens. Faces may change but the numbers basically stays the same. I just took a look at our MB membership roster and we have ~80 members (active and reserve). With our current membership, we have not been able to fill all of our requested events. What have you done in the past that has help make some of these requested events become a success besides trooping it? Again these are events we hosted and not invited to other Star Wars clubs' events they are hosting.

I have done a couple of the events that requested only Jedi. I think examples are the best leadership. I firmly believe we should activate our membership more, but my goal to to have more of a presence at all our events, including shared events. The public does not typically get that there are multiple groups. They see Star Wars, not 501st or Mando's, Droids or Rebels.

I will say that we can activate our membership more. I have done my best to reach out to the new members and get them involved. I did not get a great deal of instruction when I got here. I found my way to troops and asked questions. I have helped others find the briefing room and spoken to established members encouraging them to come do events, offering rides and asking why they did or did not do other events. Most people just need to be heard and respected. I plan to keep that up.

Quote:
Some of us may know you more than as a fellow member of MB, but other may not. We all have different personalities and may or may not get along with everyone. Please describe how you see yourself, your character and especially as the Base CO? Also if elected, will you see yourself as being entitled to or as a servant to the members?

I have had a great deal of tragedy and triumph in my life. As a result I have an endless list of stories. Some will make a tough man cry and others would make even a nun laugh at me. I grew up watching my neighbors literally go to the moon, and spending weekends in a pool hall. It gave me an interesting perspective on life. I have worked closely with political leaders and rock stars, and at the end of the day I care more about how a person treats others, not who others make them out to be.

As far a personality I think I am even tempered, hard to fluster and try to find the best in everyone. I am also sometimes sarcastic, and fairly self effacing.

I have had many prestigious titles in my life, and have a pile of awards. those kind of things do not do much for me. I get a great deal more out of being abel to serve. It is aways easy to point fingers at leaders and say they are getting some kind of privilege, but it rarely happens.

Service is a privilege, not a right. I am not entitled to anything.

If the base votes for me I will be grateful and serve. If they don't I will be grateful, and serve the base in other ways.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: