Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fad03f4759bb09bbac4a149ab04d7899Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Answer Thread for Jello (Tony)  

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Answer Thread for Jello (Tony)   Reply with quote

This is the answer thread for Jello (Tony).
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plushie wrote:
This is for both candidates:

If elected as BCO, what are your propositions to boost our presence in the community? With greater presence, we can hopefully recruit more actively for our membership.

I plan to rely heavily on all of our local members to boost membership. Base Command cannot do it alone. I will reach out to our neighbors to the south in NM, and see what they're doing down that way to see if there's anything which we an import up this direction. I also want to reach out to our neighbors in Utah for the same reason.

One thing I intend to do is to start scheduling our own meet and greets, just as the Mountain Garrison has started doing. It's a great way to get our name out there to the public where we can actually sit down and talk with them, rather than answer questions during troop chaos. Just as with the Garrison, anyone can set up a meet and greet; this is a team effort.

I'd like to see us all actively out there soliciting our own events. It's all well and good to ride the Garrison's coattails; wouldn't it be grand to be able to invite them to tag along to our events for a change?

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.
Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey Wann wrote:
Question for both candidates:

What is your vision for the next year?

How can we increase visibility for the Base?

What skills, experience and background do you bring to the position?

<And thanks to both for being willing to take the reins, and to Jeff, for being CO. We couldn't do this without you all!!!>

My vision for the coming year is growth. With the movie hitting this December, the popularity of Rebels, we have a golden opportunity not to be missed here! More members, more troops coming from the Mountain Base. We've all got to do our part in getting our name out there, recruiting new members.

We can increase visibility with scheduling meet and greets centered around the Rebel Legion and Mountain Base. It's one thing to answer someone's questions in between photos or during the chaos of a troop. It's another to sit down, show someone components of our kits, let them see up close without the pressure of a troop. It's worked wonders in the Mountain Garrison, and I think it'll pay dividends for the Mountain Base as well, both up here in the Springs/Denver Metro area, and down in NM.

My background is as follows: I've been the MHS squad XO twice for two separate squad leaders. I've also done a term and a half (stepping in to take the reigns after the squad leader stepped down) as squad leader for the MHS. I also spent some time as Garrison CoG.

Between that and real world leadership positions as a supervisor ought to translate here fairly nicely. As a supervisor in a call center, I've had to take any number of escalated calls, and had to deal with some difficult personalities, both on the phones and with team members; this has helped me to be better at conflict management, and resolution.

Last edited by Jello (Tony) on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthhair wrote:
For both:

We have spent a few yours now building strong bonds with our local Garrison, Clan and other fan groups. What do you think is the best way to keep those partnerships and strengthen them?

To keep and strengthen the partnerships which have been built is a simple matter of keeping the lines of communication open. We can't be afraid to talk to our brethren in the Mando Mercs, the Garrison, the Artoo builders, and so on. This is made easier because so many of us are either good friends with those in other clubs, or are members of more than one club. Nor should we be shy about asking them to talk to us. Problems, conflicts, kudos only get shared and dealt with if we're talking to one another.

Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plushie wrote:
Pagil M'gar wrote:

We need to get a way to have the Mercs and the Droid builders access to the briefing room.

The briefing room belongs to the Mountain Garrison forum. R2 Builders have some access, and the idea of giving further members only access to non-members has been nixed. I do not believe and could be wrong, that the Rebel Legion does not grant members access to non-members.

It goes with the mindset of if you want the rights and privilege of membership, then become a member.

With that lead-up, to both candidates, do you agree or disagree with that mindset and why.

Let me start by saying that what I’m about to say is in no way intended to slight or disparage any costuming group. We all bring value to the table, we all have the same drive and love of Star Wars.

I agree with the mindset/thought process. We are all members of different clubs, clubs which have similar goals, interests and events. However, if you want to see and participate in what each club is doing, one – generally speaking – has to be a member. There are standards to be met in order to be a part of whichever club we’re speaking about, be it the 501st, the Rebel Legion and so on. Does the Mountain Garrison have access set up to allow Mountain Base members to sign up for troops? Yes. After all, it makes things a little more streamlined when dealing with any joint event, making sure we have a complete roster for tracking purposes, and I’m willing to bet other Garrisons do something similar for their local counterparts. I don’t think that the RL can or will allow something similar. If RL would, I’d imagine that it would have happened by now. When we -Mountain Base - start getting events of our own and invite other clubs to participate, someone is going to have to volunteer to keep track of who’s signed up, again for tracking purposes and so on, especially if it’s a capped event. Challenging? Sure. But do-able.

Now please understand that I’m not saying that I wouldn’t be willing to make inquiries for some kind of joint ops access, but that is dependent on one rather major problem: We don’t have enough of our own events to remotely justify anyone asking the RL to look at the possibility of joint ops access. In any case, the answer is probably going to be ‘no’.

The adage “Membership hath its privileges” exists for a reason. You want in? You’ve got to work to make it happen. Don’t just expect it to be handed to you on a platter because you want it. We who have gone before have a duty to help those coming after us; it’s up to us to make the entry process as quick and painless as possible. And let’s be totally honest here; we’ve got members of RL who are members of the 501st, the Artoo builders, the RMFF, the Mando Mercs and so on. Either that, or they know someone who is. Is anyone really left in the dark about events? No. We all talk, and unless the event is specified by the requestor as “XXX only”, all are welcome to troop it, right?

Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banzai wrote:

My first question deal with your past (both of you). We study history to learn from it. We take what we believe is good and grow/develop from it. And of course to prevent what we do not want to repeat. Since the start of 2015, what have you done to promote Rebel Legion / Mountain Base, beside trooping (again I am only asking about RL/MB, not other clubs since you are seeking to become CO of this club)?

In reading the responses to other questions, I read about great plans if elected but my question here is why are you waiting; why wasn't this done or at least brought up when you were not the BCO?

For the last two years at Denver Comicon, I have spent considerable time at the Rebel Legion table talking to the con goers about who we are, and what we do, instead of just sitting and people watching -- which is very easy to do at a con, eh? So many different costumes and approaches to this or that, it's easy to lose sight of what we should be doing: promoting the Base. During the time spent at the booth, I've handed out brochure after card after several conversations with various people. Some were lengthy conversations, some short. But they were always for the benefit of Mountain Base.
This last year, I took my pilot kit to DCC. I was engaged any number of times by people curious about the kit, how to get it, and when they found out, what we do. Again, with an eye toward driving new members toward the Rebel Legion.

Which leads me to the second part of the question. I looked back shortly after DCC this year at all the talking done, the cards and brochures passed out and wondered if there could be a better way. So I started quietly looking around, brainstorming ideas, with an eye toward presenting them to Jeff (because I assumed, like many of you, that he was going to run again). Well, he's not, so now I'm in a unique position to try some of the ideas I've had out. Some will work, some won't; keep in mind that y'all are in this too. If you've got an idea, say something! Whomever is elected won't be mind readers; we all need to work together to promote the Base, and thereby attract new members (and reach out to older members who haven't been as active as they once were) and our own events. It's not going to be easy, it's not going to be fast, but we -- as a team -- need to work together, rather than just let the status quo be.

Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthhair wrote:
For both

What specifically qualifies you for this position? Have you ever quit a position/ job or been let go?

I've held leadership positions with the Mountain Garrison (squad XO twice, squad leader once, Garrison CoG), which I feel qualify me for the position of BCO. I've also held supervisory (or leadership positions) with my current and former employers. The skills learned are assets which I bring to the table. I've never been let go from a job, but yeah, I've quit jobs in the past; let's face it, we've all done that for one reason or another, right?

Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banzai wrote:

I always hear about growing the base membership and increasing MB events, yet we basically have the same number of members participating in any given non-glamour events if it happens. Faces may change but the numbers basically stays the same. I just took a look at our MB membership roster and we have ~80 members (active and reserve). With our current membership, we have not been able to fill all of our requested events. What have you done in the past that has help make some of these requested events become a success besides trooping it? Again these are events we hosted and not invited to other Star Wars clubs' events they are hosting.

Some of us may know you more than as a fellow member of MB, but other may not. We all have different personalities and may or may not get along with everyone. Please describe how you see yourself, your character and especially as the Base CO? Also if elected, will you see yourself as being entitled to or as a servant to the members?

What you’re describing in your first question would be more relevant if Mountain Base had the kind of membership and event traffic that our 501st counterparts have. Then I’d say banners/table runners, cards, brochures and so on were contributed, or that I aided in set up or tear down, etc. Obviously, I can’t speak for NM and what they do or how they handle things, I can only speak for here in Colorado.
That being said, event requests that come to MB specifically are so few and sporadic, I consider having anyone show up a major success. In my time as a member of the RL, we’ve had one major, high profile event (I'm not including the Sky Sox, which while high profile, has historically been a joint ops event), and that was the Colorado Springs Philharmonic concert a couple years back. Since then, I’d estimate we’ve had less than a dozen events that weren’t joint ops events. So that’s why I consider having anyone show up to an MB specifically requested event a success. Once we start getting our name out there and get the kind of business that we see in the 501st, then we can talk about what was done other than showing up to make the event a success.

I see myself as a patient, understanding person. I strive to be objective in my day to day life and interactions with people. I have to; as a call center rep, it doesn't pay to go off half cocked. I make every effort to see both sides of the story, and I often find myself playing devil’s advocate far longer than many other people would. I want to see the good in people, and get along with everyone (sadly, that’s not always realistic, as every single one of us has experienced in our lives both in the costuming world and the real world). If/when there is conflict/disagreement between members, my door is always open. I’m willing to listen, to mediate if needed, and make a decision to the best of my ability, and with the input of relevant members of Base and Legion Command if necessary. Whether all parties agree or not is irrelevant; once a decision is made, we just have to agree to disagree and move on.

As Base CO, I see myself as a steward of the legacy that has been built by those who have gone before. None of us are entitled to anything as a member of the Rebel Legion, and I recognize and expect that the Base Command Staff is held to a higher standard. I represent you, the members of the Mountain Base to the Legion, and am responsible for what’s in the best interests of the Base as a whole.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: