Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=463c0be3c0b29fc01c813b255fd3041fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP Endor Commando in NJ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Costume Build Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1shooter2 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: WIP Endor Commando in NJ Reply with quote

So, I decided to start an ERT kit. Despite not buying anything specifically for my kit yet, I think that this is a good start. My next purchase will most likely be the A/N-H-15 Helmet. A question: has anyone ever tried making a doughnut out of EVA Foam?

Anyways, to the gear:

Current Web Belt set up. Might get more M16 and Compass pouches but I think it's good in it's current state. The final decision is up to people more experience than me though.

Tan shirt, not a whole lot to say

Boots are WWII Roughouts

Now for the weapons, first off I have my painted Rubies E-11. I have a few M4s I could chop together for an A280/Endor Rifle but I'd prefer to make an A295/A280C/Hoth Rifle out of StG if that's acceptable. Perhaps the AR base is too tacticool for me Rolling Eyes

dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. Make sure you go through the standards you'll be judged based on those: http://www.rebellegion.com/endor-commando-rebel-soldier-trooper/

The T-Shirt is supposed to be long sleeved though
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has made a helmet from foam. It would have to be finished visually not to appear to be foam. I would say try it, and we can submit it to the LCJs for review.

501st: ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ
Rebel: RT, RS, JD, WH, RP, JD, RT, CL, RT, RS, RT, WH, JD, RT, RT
Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
UCGR Detachment XO
Echo Base Captain
m1shooter2 ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbdgamer wrote:
Looking good so far. Make sure you go through the standards you'll be judged based on those: http://www.rebellegion.com/endor-commando-rebel-soldier-trooper/

The T-Shirt is supposed to be long sleeved though

Yep, I've started looking at them already. And I'll switch it out for a long-sleeved one, that's not a problem.
m1shooter2 ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some of the paints and a glue gun.

dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the glue gun for?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting greeblies on my blaster, although I have a feeling I'll use it before that.
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How goes the build?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbdgamer wrote:
How goes the build?

Just bought the soft cap and the foam that I'm going to try to make the doughnut out of. After that I'm planning on getting the BDU and Butcher's Coat and a long tan shirt. I'm currently away on vacation so no pics yet but I will take them when I get home.
m1shooter2 ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wondering if I should paint the uniform it on my own if one of you guys want to for uniformity.
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep go ahead and paint it yourself. Every trooper in the movies is a bit different so they don't look manufactured and uniform. They key is to use the correct "Design Master" brand spraypaint, and the correct method for painting it. There is a good tutorial in the yahoo group for painting it.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/endorbunker/info

A butchers coat would work, most people use lab coats though. Either way you go try to get the longest one you can find, most likely it won't be quite as long as the ones they used in the movie, but it will be close enough. Either way you'll need to get some RIT dye and dye it tan before you spray paint it.

I'm interested to see your foam doughnut when you finish, haven't seen one of those before, but I've seen people do interesting stuff with foam. Take lots of pictures because it works out good I'm sure someone may want to replicate it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, will do. Hopefully the doughnut actually comes out alright (but I have faith).
m1shooter2 ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the Czech M60 Rucksack and the Tan BDU pants. I couldn't find a tan butcher's jacket in stock so I'm going to wait and order a snow sniper jacket. Then on to the donut.

Question: Do you guys think that the Krylon Colormaster paint will work instead of something from Design Masters? If I can't use it no biggie (can think of a thousand other things I can paint using OD) but of course if possible, I'd prefer not to buy another thing of paint.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the colormaster paint will not work, you need the design master paint in the shades listed in the Standard. regular paint will simply pill up on the surface of the fabric, and when washed, will not yeild the slightly faded look you want to acheive.

ive spray painted 5 ERTs with DM fabric / flower paint, and it works great. After a gentle wash the colors even out. Remember to leave LOTS of tan showing, up to 1/5 of the total surface should be tan. I use very large blocks of color, and paint everyones here for consistency.

On the blaster, its not required, and definitely check with your local Base regarding troopers with blasters given the most recent -ahem-"request" from LFL regarding blasters. Either en E11 or A280 is fine. Make sure they meet movie used refernces if you proceed.

I got my ANH15 from Mountain Princess here on the boards, I have three of hers, she makes them to order so they fit and all the colors are consistent.

on the lab coats dusters, there were a couple of dusters added to the forums so people could source a nice, long, ankle -to- mid calf lenght duster. Most lab coats are poly/cotton and do not take dye or fabric paint well. Butchers coats, while usually cotton, are shorter in gneral than lab coats. 100% cotton all natural canvas dusters are the better option for people under 5 foot 10.

your webgear looks great from what I can see with a big thumbs up on all all cotton pouches. Make sure the pistol belt has the classic ring tongue buckle, not the more modern plastic snap buckle introduced in the late 70s.

Another point is the roughouts, while they do not match the screen used boots without the lug toe cap at the front, I would like to see how much lace is visible when your gaiters are worn. We prefer either the Israeli zahal boot, or for people like me with really big feet, the Palldadium boot which is almost identical. These two boots closely mimic the screen used 80s vintage Sierra hiker tek boot. With the gaiters worn, it *MIGHT*
be possible to alter the boots you have to look like the preferred boot.

Please keep us up to date with you progress!

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
the colormaster paint will not work, you need the design master paint in the shades listed in the Standard. regular paint will simply pill up on the surface of the fabric, and when washed, will not yeild the slightly faded look you want to acheive.

ive spray painted 5 ERTs with DM fabric / flower paint, and it works great. After a gentle wash the colors even out. Remember to leave LOTS of tan showing, up to 1/5 of the total surface should be tan. I use very large blocks of color, and paint everyones here for consistency.

On the blaster, its not required, and definitely check with your local Base regarding troopers with blasters given the most recent -ahem-"request" from LFL regarding blasters. Either en E11 or A280 is fine. Make sure they meet movie used refernces if you proceed.

I got my ANH15 from Mountain Princess here on the boards, I have three of hers, she makes them to order so they fit and all the colors are consistent.

on the lab coats dusters, there were a couple of dusters added to the forums so people could source a nice, long, ankle -to- mid calf lenght duster. Most lab coats are poly/cotton and do not take dye or fabric paint well. Butchers coats, while usually cotton, are shorter in gneral than lab coats. 100% cotton all natural canvas dusters are the better option for people under 5 foot 10.

your webgear looks great from what I can see with a big thumbs up on all all cotton pouches. Make sure the pistol belt has the classic ring tongue buckle, not the more modern plastic snap buckle introduced in the late 70s.

Another point is the roughouts, while they do not match the screen used boots without the lug toe cap at the front, I would like to see how much lace is visible when your gaiters are worn. We prefer either the Israeli zahal boot, or for people like me with really big feet, the Palldadium boot which is almost identical. These two boots closely mimic the screen used 80s vintage Sierra hiker tek boot. With the gaiters worn, it *MIGHT*
be possible to alter the boots you have to look like the preferred boot.

Please keep us up to date with you progress!

Listen to this guy he is one of the experts on all things trooper. And he just answered most of your questions better than I ever could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Costume Build Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: