Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e22c5a19a33e1af2d1bf72bcc525a53fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

All Things Hoth! (formerly "join the quest for knowledg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brill_Loquay ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Reaper, I guess what little I knew turned out to be useless...

That gun is gorgeous.  How long till it's done and how much for one just like it?

Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by Schph Gochi on 29 January 2007

After looking at a bunch of screen captures and photos....to me the Hoth Jacket looks to be a cream color......I found some photos of Mookie at Dragon Con in the costume from several years ago and his jacket is clearly bright white.....

What is your opinion......cream?  or white?

FYI: There are photos of Garrett's costume and Mookie's costume linked here: Hoth Rebel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

ohmigod....that gun is gorgeous Jedi Dad....you are truly an artist!

And...yes...I have seen the photos of Garrett's and Mookie's costume...but if you look at the links that I put in post number 2 above...the jackets in the screen captures do not look white...they look cream colored....or is it just me?

jedidadd (brian montez)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks Phyllis,

I believe most of the outfit are variations of cream. If you look at real close up photos look at the there goggles. The goggles are true white and the outfits are not close in color to them. So this would lead you to believe that they are cream and not white.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian 

Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks Brian....

I didn't think they were white either......but....as noted....my eyes aren't so good....and we all know that colors are rendered "off" sometimes....but...I thought too that both the hat and the jacket were cream colored...

I didn't know Mookie....but I know of his reputation for utter accuracy....that is why I have been scratching my head about the color....

in the photos of Mookie at Dragon Con...he made his jacket and hat pure white....

but every reference photo I have looked at ....the jacket and hat appear that they are clearly NOT white....but cream...or buff colored....

I know that the "Star Wars-Where Science Meets Imagination" is opening in CA soon...I saw the exhibit in Columbus and don't remember their being a Hoth soldier costume...there was a Snowtrooper....but I don't remember Hoth Rebel Soldier...that would be a good time to take another look.....

jedidadd (brian montez)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Phyllis,

Here is a link to a couple of pics I found of a young lady wearing what appears to be a Hoth hat. Check it.

Brian

http:/stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/rls/www/hoth

Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

wow.....that is weird....when I put in the link...it didn't load...so I removed a part of it...and got the photos....but no website....looks like random photos floating in cyberspace...lol.....I wonder who she is?  Nice job on the hat...but I do think that the hat's bill is a little exaggerated....it looks too long to me....wow....

Cyberspace....ya gotta love it!   Smile

Kyle Darklighter (Garrett K McCarthy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

The Jackets are definately not white, even before being distressed. That shade is either Ecru or Eggshell, but not a real cream per say. I have one of the pistols Ed made as well. Not a bad prop.

Garrett

Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

The gun is now painted black, but I need to add some greebles to it. I have 4 other blasters in the works, and 3 holsters so the AR-7 is on hold. As for if there are going to be more, probably not from the person I got the kits from has officially killed the molds. we were lucky to get about 70 casts from it. I myself have had closet to 12 of them go through my hands. but all of them have sold, except the one you see above.

2 of them were custom designs, the rest went just like the Hoth Version. Sorry.

As for Mookie's Outfit, I'd say it's more of an off white then cream. I saw it in person at C2 and it definately wasn't cream colored. I'll try to find the pictures I took (I think I know where at least 1 print is) and I'll scan it in. I'd say an off white or dull whilte is going to be the most accurate for the foot troopers (non officers) that's my 2 cents Smile

And Jedidad, amazing work on the ESB/ROTJ DH-17. He's right about the "cavalry" style of holstering the pistol. It is grip forward to let the mag well face away from your leg. If you're a lefty, it'll holster in a more traditional way.

Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Oki-day.....off white it is.....lol....isn't it weird that even white has "shades".....I am stopping by Joanne fabrics again tonight to see if I can find something correct to send to our hat maker......and hopefully get that project started.  I will also note in DMC floss color what I end up finding...it will probably be "Ecru"....

or....check out the "ivory" in this bottomweight twill?

http://www.baerfabrics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TwillBottomweight

I purchased a pattern that should be useable and was reviewing it last night...for many reasons I think it would be a good starting point for the jacket....check out #4033....

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=thumbnail.cfm&cat=1&type=1&sec=91&StartRow=10

look past the busy trim and the fact that it is on a woman and look carefully at the pattern itself....the coat can be made shorter and the slits put in the side....the collar removed as it will be covered with the vest/backpack attachment piece....the "female curve" can be straightened...but the best part is the high waist feature.....the pieces that form the "bodice" of this coat can be made out of the quilted tan fabric..... the sleeves and from the high waist down would be the ecru.....also....the pockets would not be added either...

It has possibilities....

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Ordered some more fabric this morning....looks promising...

http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-twill-fabric-heavy-weight-cotton-twill-fabric-cotton-twill-fabric-natural.aspx

"natural"....not a bleached white...yet not an ecru....

this is what I was really looking for at Joanne's the other night and could not find....a nice, natural, bottomweight twill...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Current fabrics under consideration:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804218053406/3

the light colored (quilted and non quilted) fabrics on the left are for the hat, jacket and part of the vest...

the darker quilted fabric on the right is for quilted portion at the top of the jacket...and the other stuff is for the pouch...

some sketches of the costume elements....ok...so I am not an artist...lol...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804201501555/0

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804201492199/1

Kyle Darklighter (Garrett K McCarthy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

HMM. The brown would be appropriate for the Hoth Officers but I beleive the troops secondary color is a drab green. You might also want to just sew the quilting on the hat flaps in the same material as the rest of the hat. It would look more uniform. It's not all that hard actually & even if you go off line a bit it's hard to notice.

Garrett

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up......more to think about....

Did I miss any elements in the sketches?

I hope to try to view ESB in my computer this weekend....

since I am a computer doofus...how does one do screen captures? 

I really need to get a good look at the "troops"....and their drab green....most of what I have saw is the brown/tan/cream stuff....

One of our MWB members also determined that the Hoth and Endor Backpacks (hard packs) are exactly the same....the cream colored fabric overlay on the Hoth backpacks was "camo-ed" for Endor....

Also...from what I can make out...the greeblie on the HRS belt buckle appears to be the same as the greeblie on the Snowtroopers....

DesTROYer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Great work everyone. As some one who has come across to the Legion for the express purpose of putting together a Hoth Trooper costume, I am impressed. I will go get my ESB dvd loaded up now and see if i can get some screen captures done for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 2 of 49

Jump to: