Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=eaf68cb00aa5f2852b55b1831806169dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

All Things Hoth! (formerly "join the quest for knowledg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aunna Lauren ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

I picked up similar materials, but also found for Toryn Farr's vest this quilted window treatment fabric from Jo-Ann ETC. It's $19 a yard. but I just need enough for the vest and neck roll.

The green cold weather googles are still available through Uncle Sam's here in Buffalo. (http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=10340&ST=2) They have pop out lens replacements in the green that are cheap, and the guy said he could replace them for me on site. I'll have to mask off the lens and spray the goggle the off white.

They also carry the dress shirts with the utility arm pockets, which I'll need to modify for around the neck and down the front for the velcro instead of buttons.

I'm also looking at the Canadian Forces Arctic Muklucks and constructing some kind of calf/shin wrap around spats.....

Anyone have computer software for pattern making? I had one for my G3 years ago, but when I bumped up to the G4 I didn't think to keep it or upgrade it....

Annie

Quote: Originally posted by Schph Gochi on 06 February 2007

Current fabrics under consideration:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804218053406/3

the light colored (quilted and non quilted) fabrics on the left are for the hat, jacket and part of the vest...

the darker quilted fabric on the right is for quilted portion at the top of the jacket...and the other stuff is for the pouch...

some sketches of the costume elements....ok...so I am not an artist...lol...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804201501555/0

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804201492199/1

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

I don't have a program for pattern making....but purchased a pattern for a coat and will be working with that using the dyed quilted fabric I purchased from Wal-Mart (quilted in the diamond pattern) at about $9.00 a yard. 

I did decide on the "Joanne fabrics essentials" 100% cotton medium weight fabric for the hat and bottom of the jacket.  It is in a "natural" color ...not bright white....not beige.  I have sent a portion of the fabric to Kathy VanBeuningen who is working on the hat prototype.  You may know Kathy...she did the tutorial on Imperial hats and the Imperial Officer costume.   Kathy will be machine quilting the cotton fabric that I sent her for the bottom portion of the hat so that the quilted portion exactly matches the top portion.

I am still working on finishing my Endor Rebel Soldier costume...so I have not gone into full "Hoth mode" as yet.....but it is drawing closer.

I will check into the goggles thing..

and big thanks to all who have stopped into this thread...offered sources and advice... Smile

navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

khaki goggles for 10 bucks

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=324035&pn=8
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

ohhhhh.....those look promising!
Aunna Lauren ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

In the first jpg the soldier has black tubes on the back harness, but in the others they're greyish white or milky in color. Which do you think is the standard?

Thanks!

Annie

Quote: Originally posted by Schph Gochi on 23 January 2007

I have also gone back through all of the threads here in this forum regarding the Hoth Soldier...there have been a few people that have expressed an interest in this costume...

Here are some excellent refernce photos to get your blood pumping..

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothTrenches2.jpg

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothTrenches3.jpg

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothSoldier.jpg

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothTrenches.jpg

I have begun to "break down" the costume pieces and wondered what of the items would be necessary for formal and informal...the costume elements are:

Hat

Goggles

Com device/ear piece on hat

Scarf

Gloves

Blaster - DH-17 - modified from RFT

Backpack

Jacket (it appears the "vest" is built in and one piece)

Pouch

Pants (appear to be BDU) -khaki? or grey? depends on the photo you look at

Boots (appears most any "winter" boot would be acceptable as the boot is almost completely covered by a "gaiter")

Gaiters

Wrist Comm

Holster ( the HRS have DH-17's in a holster besides their rifle) and the holster appears to have loops for more greeblies...

Greeblies on the right front vest - thermal device?-they appear to be the exact same greeblies that the ERS has....

Rank Badge

belt-buckle-greeblie

possible fabric for part of hat and jacket"

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-shop-by-category-pre-quilted-fabric-double-sided-quilted-broadcloth-fabric-double-sided-quilted-broadcloth-cream.aspx

would prefer 100% cotton though...

Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Looking closely at the one screen capture it appears that most of the backpack pieces that stick out of the canvas cover appear to be what I would consider a "gunmetal" or dark grey...you can see the difference between the black hose...and the piece that the hose attaches to.  The hose is decidedly black...and looks like a standard "discharge hose" that you can buy for a washing machine.....the piece that it connects to is not so black...looks like dark gunmetal or dark machine gray,   Also...you can see that the piece on the side of the backpack that looks like a piece of a flamethrower or something also matches the walkie-talkie thing that the trooper has on his helmet...it looks like the same dark gunmetal/machine gray.

Determining colors from screen captures and even from watching the movie is just about impossible.  While watching the movie on my computer so I could stop action and get a good look at scenes...well...let's say my computer rendered color way off from the screen captures.  Also...when you would look at the costumes out in the bright light in the snow they rendered different from the HRS that were running around inside the base on Hoth.  Then...even if you can decide on a color (especially with fabric)...it doesn't mean that you will be able to find the fabric you need.   In some areas of the country, you have few choices for fabric stores....Joanne's, Hancock, and WalMart are pretty standard places....that is why I made fabric choices made at both Joanne's and Wal-Mart.  The "natural" fabric for the jacket was chosen out of the "utility fabric" area as noted because the fabrics in that area of Joanne's are usually standard and re-stocked regularly.  The next time I am in Joanne's I will get the SKU number off of what I purchased.  Also, the quilted fabric that I purchased at Wal-Mart is also something that I have seen there for many years.....I had to dye that fabric so I used Rit Dye...(Tan)...which is also standard and readily available.

To be honest, I didn't see the olive drab mentioned in the one post above on any of the Hoth Troopers...once again....based on what  colors my computer was showing me as I watched the movie on it....and how my eyes picked up said color.

The only way to decide the true color is to see the costume in person.  As noted with the Rebel Fleet Trooper costume...none of those costumes survived nor have ever been exhibited. 

Now the big question...and I am ashamed to say I don't remember...

Is the Hoth Soldier costume part of the "Star Wars-Where Science Meets Imagination" exhibit which has been in Boston, Columbus,....and is currently in California?   I went to see the exhibit in Columbus...and honestly don't remember if the costume was there...

To our CA Rebels....is the costume in the exhibit?

Aunna Lauren ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

I saw that at the Smithsonian. I think the website has some up close shots, if not check their archives, they might be there too.
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

This exhibit was not at the Smithsonian that I know if....you might be thinking of "Magic of the Myth"...which was a different exhibit..

and Rebel Spies have informed me (thanks JediDad) that there is NO Hoth Rebel Soldier costume in the "Star Wars-Where Science Meets Imagination" exhibit...

so...as far as I am concerned....I am going with my picks for fabric....it is totally useless to look as screen captures and other photos.....lighting, computers, projectors, TV's...and you name it all have an effect on the overall color of many things......so...it is a crapshoot...

Aunna Lauren ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Oh, I found this one just now!

http://www.colddeadfish.net/entertainrevs/starwarscostumes.html

How cool is this exhibit! I know it's from '05 but still....

Also found this cool little off-site:

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/motm_measurements/index.html

and

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Wow.....thanks for the photo above....rats....too bad you can's see the trooper too well in the background...but....that is from the FIDM exhibit for "Dressing a Galaxy"....

and what that does mean is that there is a costume in existance! 

I know some RL members took a bunch of photos at this exhibit...I will have to check with them if they have a better quality shot of the HRS....I didn't get a chance to see this exhibit....

very interesting!  Thank you again!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Could the wrist comm be any bigger?

jedidadd (brian montez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Funny it's a Stanley tape measure!!!!
Aunna Lauren ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Any bigger and she would have tipped over! LOL!

I'm getting my communicator from a guy who's been making resin copies of all kinds of gear for years and years over in England. I can't wait to get it. It comes to me untouched, I get to color and age it myself! He also makes these Rebel rank insignia. I was thinking about getting one and then modifying it for commander rank. Where is that link for rank on insignia's?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by jedidadd on 14 February 2007

Funny it's a Stanley tape measure!!!!

That's what it certainly looks like.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

lol....you guys are right....it does look like a tape measure!   That is what makes folks like Jedidad and Navarre so great....they can take a look at something and instantly see "something else"...I look at things...and don't see much past what the item is at the moment....

I am currently going through a TON of detailed photos that were taken at the FIDM showing of the Star Wars costumes by fans at various websites...apparently the Hoth Rebel Soldier costume featured in the photo above WAS indeed at FIDM even though it has not appeard at the other two major exhibits of Star Wars Costumes.  After going through probably 2,000 on line shots from the FIDM exhibit...one thing is clear....90% of all the photos posted are of Padme and Queen Amidala costumes.......sigh....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 3 of 49

Jump to: