Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=355958919a23c5dc99a9eb6bb65f1e9cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

All Things Hoth! (formerly "join the quest for knowledg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Well...one thing is for certain...the pants will be easy...

http://www.outinstyle.com/p-/RCO-7901.html

The color of the pants is way off....they are actually tan....and the knee reinforcement can be removed....quilted....and then put back on....

jedidadd (brian montez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Here are some sceen caps for you to see.

Brian

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/sunriderbase/hoth/

Active Legion Member

South Carolina Relief Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks Brian...I will add that to my growing collection......yeah!  Wow...those are some of the very same photos that I tried to "capture"...where I "captured" them ok....and saved them into a word document......and they appeared to be ok...when I went back...the photo was just a "black screen"....so thanks...as always....those screen caps are AWESOME!

Miana also sent me some detailed photos of the "mystery man" standing behind Leia in the photo above....I am guessing it is Han...where the jacket appears to be different at the collar than the "Hoth trenches" soldiers...the rest of it looks the same...as I noted...the "vest" on the trench soldiers is actually the "device" that the backpack attaches to....and the collar on their jacket is not so "poofy" and high...to allow for the vest/backpack attaching piece.

also the photos that Rachel sent me give great detail on the gloves, gaiters, sleeves of the jacket and the knee of the pants...

again...thank you all very much for finding these photographic gems....

The Hoth Hat is just about a reality.  Our hatmaker, Kathy Van Beuningen, has finished two proto-types and has received the fabric that I sent her and will be doing the "final" ...which is my hat.  While she is doing my hat....she is also developing the tutorial and pattern....

TKvanB (Kathy van Beuningen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Hoth Rebel Trooper prototype hat #2

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Hoth%20Rebel%20Trooper/HothRebelTrooperhat1leftside.jpg

Hoth Rebel Trooper prototype hat #1

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Hoth%20Rebel%20Trooper/HothRebelTrooperhat1leftside.jpg

Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Kathy, that is fantastic!

Almost makes me wish it got cold in Southern California.
Howlrunner ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Love the work done on the hat!  Do you have patterns available at all?

I've heard that the Hoth goggles were Scotts '76 Pattern snow goggles.  Anyone able to confirm or deny this?

Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by Howlrunner on 18 February 2007

Love the work done on the hat!  Do you have patterns available at all?

I've heard that the Hoth goggles were Scotts '76 Pattern snow goggles.  Anyone able to confirm or deny this?

all in good time....lol....

No...I can't confirm or deny the goggles.....right now I have started on the jacket...the upper portion which is the darker quilted portion...and I am trying to make a pattern and take some photos as I go along.  Anything that you can do to check into the goggles would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for posting the photo Kathy....there is no substitute for folks being able to actually see progress....I get all goose-bumpy when I see you in the hat....it is something tangible!

Howlrunner ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

The only decent sized exhibition photos I can find are of Luke in his Hoth gear. http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/costumes.html#lukehoth 
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Those are some great shots Howlrunner.....thanks for the heads up!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Those pictures definitely help  - I wish there were more! 
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

I have been taking some pictures on the progress of the hat prototype constructions.  I have been working on three hats simultaneously.

The picture above is of the hood piece after I finished sewing the lines of stitching, but before I removed all of the pins. 
I had maked out the paralel lines @ 1" apart with a fine point Mark-B-Gone pen. 

Here are the three hood pieces.  The top one is using kona cotton with low-loft 1/4" quilt batting.  The center one is the utility fabric and even lower loft quilt batting.  The bottom one is the utility fabric and standard fleece as the batting. 
(I ran out of quilt batting, so I decided I would give that a try)

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

These are the 2 back flaps after the 3 parts of each have been basted together.  I usually run most pieces of anything I am building through the serger if I can.  Aside from making the pieces easier to handle with out them falling apart, it also puts a real clean edge on everything and will ensure that everything will stay together for a very long time. 
I have not yet put one of these Hoth Rebel Trooper hats in the wash machine, but I am confident that they would make it just fine. 

Anyway,  I have opened out a small piece of bias trim on the back aide of one of the back flaps to demonstrate how to pin it in place.  I have found that ALL of the applications of the bias trim needs to be pinned in place before sewing on to unsure that it lies evenly.  That is a lot of work, but it's triple the work it you you have to remove it and re-apply it. 

Towards the back of this picture is one of the outer hat constructions with the back flap in place. 
THis picture is a little out of sequence if you were going to make the hat in steps, because I ran out of bias tape and had to go get more.  I did as much as I could on the pieces I had. 

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

......and now I have more bias tape.  

I would advize anyone who plans to make this to match the tones of the materials you use. 

In the cases of these particular hats: 

The utility fabric Phyllis selected has a reddish tone to it.  I decided to use the Wrights brand extra wide double fold "Taupe 033" because the current dye-lot available has a reddish tone.  That was the best match to the fabric. 
I looked at the "tan" but that had too much yellow in it for this particular fabric. 

The kona cotton I chose it slightly more yellowish, so the Wrights brand extra wide double fold "kahki 097" of the current dye-lot was the best match ---- however there were two different dye-lots at the store!    I can't stress enough to bring samples of the fabrics and trims you are working with to the store when you are trying to match. 

I was able to find an extact match to the Wrights brand extra wide double fold "kahki 097" in "single fold" so I used that single fold for the lower trim on the front flap of the hat.  That is the first piece that needs to be sewn on. 

(for the other two hats made out of the utility fabric, I was not able to find a matching single fold, so I fugured out how to make the double fold work for that application)

NOW...........going backwards in time. 

This picture shows the visors and front flaps after the pieces were first fused (outer piece) to shirt tailor fusible interfacing.  Then the peices were basted together, sregered, turned & pressed. 

Here are the heavy-weight stabilizer pieces to be marked to trim & fit into the insides of the front flaps and visors. 
After the stabilizer is inserted, baste in place along outer seam with the bulk of the seam on the under side of the visor & the back side of the  front flap.   Make sure to trim the stabilizer to allow a ~1/2" - 5/8" seam allowance where the pieces will join.

Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

I have no fear that your hats would survive the washing machine...I know that you have washed your Imperial hat many times....and you know how to make a hat....period!

ohmigod....I just can't believe the construction details.....I am glad you are posting photos of the construction.....just to show what goes into making hats.....I know that I saw one of your Imperial hat demos and the thought of trying to make a hat with my skills was just out of the question....

I have been working on the jacket a bit...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205

I am, of course, using cheapo muslin for the mock up so that I can mark the fabric up...make changes....and what not...

I have gone back and forth 3 times already on the sleeves.....the one trooper photo that I am using for the jacket detail almost looks like he has a dropped sleeve...but the reality is...at least I think....that his jacket is simply too big for him and the sleeve seam falls off of his shoulder....I am sure the jackets were made as almost a "one size fits all" for the movie....some of the soldiers look like their sleeve seam is where it should be....

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

...and a little further back in time...

Here are the hat top and crown pieces and lining top and crown pieces first pinned together and then basted, sewn and topstitched together. 

here are the front flaps and visors with the bias tape pinned in place. 

I have decided that the best way to do this so far is to use thread that matches the hat fabric in the bobbin and thread that matches the color of the bias tape in the needle.  Start by applying the double fold bias tape to the underside / backside of the pieces.  Then topstitch close to the edge to seccure the front pieces of bias tape in place. 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 4 of 49

Jump to: