Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c7067595f1842fe429b13603e6242fc3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Veranda Nightgown fabric
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Veranda Nightgown fabric Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I am working on my Steelblue/Lavander Nightgown from Ep III and I've been stuck on the choice of fabric.

Unfortunately, it's hard to come around silk charmeuse here in Italy where I live and I'll have to order it online.
I know it's kinda risky and I hate it, so I'm here wondering if you have any suggestion on where to find good fabrics.

I seem to have found a reasonable option at FashionFabricClub.com but the internet is full with horrible reviews about its service and that makes me nervous. Although the fabric looks beautiful (and the perfect shade too)
https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p89435_1000m122steelbluesilkcharmeuse

This one looks like a much safer option, but although it's hard to say from a computer screen, it feels like it's a bit more baby-blue. I can't see any lavander shade in this.

Could this work just the same, though?
I'd rather ask here first and see what you all think.

https://www.etsy.com/it/listing/208135401/pure-silk-charmeuse-crepe-backed-satin?ref=shop_home_active_16

Wink
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally always had very good experienced with Fashion Fabric's Club, though I've never had them ship internationally. The price is certainly much better there. I really do feel like silk charmeuse is the best option.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that sounds reassuring, thank you so much.
I also feel like silk charmeuse is the best option - it's very lightweight and it drapes beautifully on your figure. Given especially that I'll have to fake a pregnancy bump, I really need something that hugs the figure.

I have heard that their international shipping rates are outrageous, and they don't tell you beforehand, they just charge your card whenever the order is processed and properly weighted. Sad
I don't know, I'm a bit scared. I dont mind spending money if it's the right fabric, but I've got my reserves.
Hopefully this fabric is not falsely advertised and it's not see-through.
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by your link, the second choice looks like baby blue, not the steel color you need.

As for Fashion Fabric Club, I ordered some black wool material back in October for a Kylo Ren costume, and it took longer than I expected to receive it. When I contacted them, they remind me that it can take 10-14 days to process your order. They don't get in a hurry either. You'll get your material, and it'll be as the picture shows too. You just won't get it tomorrow.. cause they ain't Amazon.

So I'd side with Jenna on FFC.
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. This is really really helpful.
I'm not in a rush, so I'll go with the FFC option - at least it SHOULD be the right color.

I'll keep you all updated Very Happy
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only bought undyed silk from Dharma trading. Yes, the shipping (and import tax) was a lot of money, but not unexpected for overseas. Of course, this silk is something you'll have to dye yourself.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up placing the order on FFC a couple of days ago. I got my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I started working on the pregnancy prosthetic.

The one that I had before was too big and it didn't flatter the way the nightgown hung on my figure, so I made another one from scratch (way smaller), using a different technique -
I started with a simple, cheap pair of spanks with a wide elastic waistband. I stuffed the inside of an old tiny pillow I stole from an airplane in between the two layers of the waistband.
Padme' doesn't look very far along during that scene, I reckon it could be about 5 to 6 months.
And here's how it turned out.
Pardon my unkept apperance, but I had to try it on myself in order for it to make sense. Hate the damn mannequin.

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got baby bump! Smile
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sooooo... package came in the mail, yay!!

Although I did place the order during the holiday season (Dec. 21st precisely) which usually is a big no-no, they were more efficient than I thought. The order shipped wonderfully early, on Dec 28th and they only charged me 18$ for it (and I heard people complaining on the internet about the insane shipping charges they got, like 45/50$). They did use USPS and the parcel was registered as a "LJ....US" package, so regular International Priority Mail. It took two days to clear customs in the US and it left the country just after New Years. Aaaaand that's when it became complicated. The package arrived in Italy on Jan 3rd and I lost track of it for about 10 days. The tracking number wasn't working - it seemed stuck in Milan. I emailed FFC and they reassured me - it usually happens. I kept waiting and finally the tracking page was updated on Jan 12th. It showed me that it was being processed at Customs. I crossed my fingers - two days later I got notified that it had cleared customs and it was on its way.
Sigh of relief.

I got the package yesterday, after about a month. I mean, it wasn't too bad, but if I hadn't been reassured beforehand that they usually take their sweet time with it, I probably would have been freaking out.
Only, this time it wasn't FFC fault, it was the Italian crappy postal service.
FFC was SUPER EFFICIENT despite my bad timing at placing the order.

But now, let's get to the important stuff.

Here's the fabric.
5.5 yards of Steelblue Silk Charmeuse.

It seems good. It's nice and soft and it isn't at all transparent (as someone else complained on some website). The color looks good too. It's amazing how it changes according to the lighting and surrounding, just like in the original costume (it appears lavander in the stills captured from the movie, but in the BTS it's more of a light blue/steel color).

Here's the side-by-side comparison between the fabrics.

Last edited by lalalorhen (Loren) on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Smile

FFC took nearly about as long for me, and there's only the state of Illinois between me and St. Louis, where they're located (still no idea what happened about my order).
JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for a pattern? I really want to make this as I'm expecting and it would be a nice addition to my cosplay collection lol. I know the actual pattern is ridiculously expensive!

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was merely commenting on the lapse of time for my material order from FFC. Sorry, I haven't gotten around to seriously dissecting this one and replicating it, so I can't help on that front.

I will mention that my daughter wants the Leia ceremonial gown, and I was contemplating looking for small satiny, full length nightgowns that I could alter. Maybe you could locate something premade that would serve as an alterable base pattern?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but for the ceremonial I would not recommend satin(y) fabrics due to the shine. Of course, chiffon is annoying to work with. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and good luck with your nightgowns.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Off topic, but for the ceremonial I would not recommend satin(y) fabrics due to the shine. Of course, chiffon is annoying to work with. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and good luck with your nightgowns.

I actually read somewhere on the RL boards to use dress liner material for the Leia ceremonial costume. I figured the opaque nightie would be a good base to start with the liner over it (double layered), so she wouldn't have to wear white under armor underneath. I won't be letting my nine year old out in public in see through material. Smile
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place I went to find info about the Padme nightgown was at Fit for a Queen. I was unaware of a pattern for sale for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: