Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=61a546a50c8a2aeec337d6fba5597031Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Luke Skywalker WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: TFA Luke Skywalker WIP Reply with quote

After seeing the movie, Iíve grown a bit of a liking to the new Luke Skywalker. Since I already have the right build and facial hair (to include proper facial hair color), Iím going to focus on building this costume.

Looking at the cut and material as it appears on screen, it looks that they based this costume on his Return of the Jedi series of outfits, but lengthened and lightened them in places. Effectively, he went from a Space Priest costume to the Space Pope costume (my apologies for the blasphemy to the Papal Mainframe). So, I am going with that for the basis of my build.

Shirt
Lukeís shirt is made from either white cotton twill or wool gabardine. I am planning to make one of each for multiple climate wear, though the cotton twill will be first. It uses a modified shirt pattern that includes a seam across the upper back and separate left and right back panels (using his ROTJ shirt as a base), to include the Mandarin collar. There are other modifications, though.

The shirt will close with a snap strip and include a full-length bib sewn to the left side. The bib will close on the right with another snap strip sewn across the top and down the side.

The sleeves end in a 4Ē cuff that is folded inside the sleeve. The sleeve is top stitched and includes a hidden zipper along the seam to secure it around the wrist.

The shirt is worn outside of the trousers. Its length is to the first knuckle of the hand with the arm relaxed at the side.

Trousers
The exact cut, color, and material of the trousers are not known. However, I am assuming that they are light colored to match the color scheme of the rest of the costume. For that reason, I plan to use a pair of cloud colored, relaxed-fit, khakiís. Iíll include a light belt and suspenders to keep them up.

One thing that I did notice in the image I posted above is that his pant legs are not tucked into his boots. You can see the bottom in front of his boot in the shot. Though, for the sake of costuming, Iíll tuck them into my boots to fit in with everyone else.

Outer Tunic
For the outer tunic, Iím going all out and making it out of beige/tea colored raw silk. Itís sleeveless and stops above the ankle (two to three inches). Like the ROTJ vest, it also closes just at the belt. Iíll be using a kimono pattern, similar to the Luke vest, but making it the appropriate length. Iíll use a heavy snap or two to keep it closed. There is no visible collar, but it looks to be self-lined.

Tabards
Lukeís tabards are also natural raw silk. Theyíre a stole style around the back of the neck and are tacked down at the armpit. They do not stand up like liturgical stoles, but lays flat across the back of the neck. Otherwise, it has the exact same fall as the ROTJ stole. For ease of cleaning, Iíll add snaps to the back of the neck, the shoulders, the armpits (where theyíre tacked down), and the waist.

Obi
The obi is the same color as the outer tunic. Itíll be 4Ē wide and made identically to the ROTJ Obi. Since the robe is always on, Iíll close it in the rear with velcro.

Belt
The belt looks almost identical to the ROTJ belt, with three main differences. First, the belt is 3Ē wide rather than 2. Second, the belt is brown rather than black. Third, it has a detail strip along the top and bottom. Otherwise, it has the same style pouch as the ROTJ over the left hip, though Iíll be adding a second pouch worn at the rear to hold my wallet and keys.

Cloak
Lukeís cloak is a basket weave cotton and coffee colored (darker than the outer tunic, but not quite brown). It has a wide ďgeneric JediĒ hood and falls to floor length. It is also tacked down at the same location as the tabards to keep it in place (again, Iíll be using snaps for the same reason as the tabards).

Boots
The boots look very similar to the style of boots worn by Rey. In that, I mean the toe and sole are very Ugg-like. Since there is no raise along the sole to indicate a heel, Iíll be going with the Ugg boot option until a better image of the boots can be found. What I can tell is that they are a faded brown or gray and distressed/weathered.

Hand
Lukeís right hand went full automail from the human-looking prosthetic he had in ROTJ. I plan to use a printed glove and 1mm sintra plates to recreate the hand as best as possible while still retaining the ability to hold a lightsaber.

Lightsaber
The leaked figure shots of Luke show him to have his ROTJ lightsaber, though it is aged and weathered. My only ďinaccuracyĒ will be to have a round D-ring rather than the triangle for comfort hanging on the belt. Oh, and it will only be a belt-hanger only for now.

Hair
My beard looks identical to Mark Hamillís in the movie. The only problem is my hair, by that I mean I donít have any. My fix is going to be a wig made to look ROTS Anakin-style. Iíll have a hairdresser friend of mine trim it to look like the movie.

----------

The above will be my ultimate and final build, but not my first. The layers of wool and silk make for a great winter costume, but make for summer heat stroke. For that reason, my version 1 of the costume will be made of a white cotton twill inner tunic, dyed/natural raw silk outer tunic/tabards/obi, and cotton suiting burlap cloak (yes, there is such a fabric if you know about Ren Faire garb).

This is going to be a rather expensive build, but my first canon face character ever (I had a Vader, but he wasnít faced). It is going to be very rewarding. After itís complete, Iíll update it as more information comes out regarding Lukeís costume and then again for Episode VIII, if heís in it (which I have a strong feeling he will be).

Iíll be dropping pictures into this WIP as I get in the fabric and what-not. All I have to say is, may the Force be with me.

Last edited by Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg) on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. Hopefully more pictures will soon come and I think it likely this costume will now turn up in exhibitions.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
thehousejedi (Carl Grasso)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I think I'm going to attempt this costume as soon as I'm sure it is approvable.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehousejedi wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I think I'm going to attempt this costume as soon as I'm sure it is approvable.
Why would it not be approvable? It's a major character, it's in the movie, there are full-front reference shots that were "leaked". There's a full back shot in the movie. We don't need three sources for a costume, only one.

On a costume-building note, I ordered the Wool Gabardine, Silk Matka, and Wook Crepe swatches today for color and texture matching. I'm also about halfway through the many varieties of Ugg boots produced by the company, but I've narrowed it down to the same style of boot as Rey wears, but in men's.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been concerned the shots we have wouldn't be enough. I have seen nothing of him without the robe on, and only one leaked photo of a full front shot.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehousejedi wrote:
I've been concerned the shots we have wouldn't be enough. I have seen nothing of him without the robe on, and only one leaked photo of a full front shot.

How is this different from Episode IV Obi-Wan? Luke is never seen without the robe on, but the robe is also tacked down to the costume. That means it is never taken off (and is never seen removed in the show, so itís a permanent part of the costume). You never see Obi-Wanís pants, but they arenít required by the Costume Standards.

As for that one leaked photo, one reference is all thatís necessary for an approval. We know the costume seen on screen is the same one that he is wearing in the leaked picture, so thereís no way to say it is a different costume. Also, the alternative is waiting two years before our first approved Rebel Legion Luke Skywalker from the new Trilogy. If/when the figurine (Hasbro figurine, sideshow, ets.) is released, Iíll update my costume as necessary. Until then, Iíll build it to the specifications seen in the leaked picture and movie.

Thatís the joy of our club. As more information surfaces, the standards and costumes are updated. For instance, an initial Costume Standard could be:

Quote:
REQUIRED ITEMS
1. White long-sleeve shirt w/ mandarin-type collar and bib. The bib is straight across the neck at the base of the collar. There is a zipper under each wrist used to keep the double-long cuff closed.

2. Beige raw silk or raw silk look ankle-length kimono style outer tunic.

3. Natural-colored scarf-style tabards. They should be tacked down to the outer tunic in line with the armpit.

4. Beige obi/sash belt.

5. Brown leather belt with oval buckle and small brown pouch.

6. Faded brown or gray Ugg-style boots with flat soles.

7. Light brown/dark beige hooded cloak (wool, wool blend, or wool looking). It should be tacked down to tabards/outer tunic in line with the armpit.

8. Cybernetic/robot looking dull grey glove on right hand.

9. Costumer should have a beard. Costumerís hair should be styled as seen in the movie. Wigs and prosthetics are allowed.

Optional Items
1. Lukeís ROTJ Hero lightsaber. Weathered.

2. Lightsaber hook, D-ring, and second small pouch on belt in similar design to ROTJ Luke belt.

Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, one source, yes, but two pics - head to toe, front and back is the formal requirement to submit a costume without a standard.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
Actually, one source, yes, but two pics - head to toe, front and back is the formal requirement to submit a costume without a standard.

These are links to my image gallery. Warning, potential spoilers if you haven't seen the movie.

Full Front

Full Back (at a distance, but it is still full back

Detail of the glove and cuff

Close up of the upper torso, to include showing that the cloak is permanently attached to the costume
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the belt drafted out. Now, I just need to order the leather to build it. Well, I need to order more leather since I have a few of the pieces I need on hand. The hardware is locally available, except for the buckle which I'll be ordering online.

Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you'd need a better full back than that. Costume details have to be visible.

It could be a fun costume. I'd just have to grow a beard. LOL
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
I expect you'd need a better full back than that. Costume details have to be visible.

It's a cloak. There is no ornamentation, no odd seams, nothing other than what is seen from the front that wraps around the back to the other side of the front. The hood is sewn down to the neckline of a 3/4 circle cape pattern that is fit to the shoulders (i.e. oval rather than straight up round).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: TFA Luke Skywalker WIP Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:

Lukeís shirt is made from white wool gabardine. It has the mandarin collar and bib that the ROTJ shirt includes....

where are you getting your info from? "wool gabardine" is very specific. you make this statement as if it's fact. do you know something we don't?

the pics of the action figures (and indeed the pics from the movie) suggest that the 'bib' is a different color/texture than the rest of the shirt.

also the belt draft. if that's accurate then thanks! this helps a LOT! but..
where are you getting this from..?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: TFA Luke Skywalker WIP Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
where are you getting your info from? "wool gabardine" is very specific. you make this statement as if it's fact. do you know something we don't?

the pics of the action figures (and indeed the pics from the movie) suggest that the 'bib' is a different color/texture than the rest of the shirt.

It is very specific. The material looks and moves like single thickness wool gabardine. Iíve worn that stuff long enough to know how it moves. Iíve seen the movie quite a few times and am sure that the shirt is made out of the stuff.

The bib looks different because it is starched into a stabilizer to look flatter than the rest of the material. Otherwise, you can see where it is top-stitched to the shirt on the left (his left, your right) and pressed down along the seam. As for the action figure pictures, the only real one Iíve seen is the prototype. The figure seen around the net with the sewn clothing is fan-made.

Quote:
also the belt draft. if that's accurate then thanks! this helps a LOT! but..
where are you getting this from..?

Yes and no. The released picture shows that the belt is 3Ē wide (measured against Mark Hamillís height). The oval buckle is likewise 3Ē wide. The pouch shown is sewn at the edges and base (similar to the ROTJ pouches). The pictures of Michael Kaplanís costume journal state that there were 2 pouches side-by-side on the belt, but were otherwise like the ROTJ belt.

The twin snaps, saber clip, and D-ring were personal supposition based on the statement that it was like the ROTJ belt. The belt keeper is just a personal thing to keep the belt looking right when worn.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, here is a full back image of Luke from the movie.

Second, hereís a great shot of the side of his hood (for size purposes).

Finally, note the pulling on both the tabards and robe from the cloak moving back. The cloak is permanently attached to both. So, for the sake of this costume, there is no removing the robe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I already made, submitted and trooped this costume at the Marathon and premier.

So the inner robe is exactly like Vader's - a sleeveless long robe, crossing at the center.
There is no obi.
The belt is the ANH ceremonial and Owen and basically half the Rebels at the end of ANH style.
It's simply a cream ROTJ shirt, I also made matching pants
Tan tabards.
Prosthetic robot hand required
Hooded sage to sand colored hooded cape

All my suspected elements were basically confirmed by me and several in the audience. You can see what looks like cream trousers in the pan around and when he removed the hood you can clearly see the ROTJ shirt and Vader style sleeveless robe.

Garrison Titan CO 2014 & 13; XO 2012

BH 2950 (ESB Fett)
SL 2950 (Darth Maul) LFL Select
SL 2950 (Emperor Palpatine ROTJ)
TK 2950 (ANH)
DZ 2950 (ANH Tusken)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: