Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c75b87df7b3501ec5212dc09a122a8baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Luke Skywalker WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gymbeau2000 wrote:
So I already made, submitted and trooped this costume at the Marathon and premier.

So the inner robe is exactly like Vader's - a sleeveless long robe, crossing at the center.
There is no obi.
The belt is the ANH ceremonial and Owen and basically half the Rebels at the end of ANH style.
It's simply a cream ROTJ shirt, I also made matching pants
Tan tabards.
Prosthetic robot hand required
Hooded sage to sand colored hooded cape

All my suspected elements were basically confirmed by me and several in the audience. You can see what looks like cream trousers in the pan around and when he removed the hood you can clearly see the ROTJ shirt and Vader style sleeveless robe.

I said it is just a longer version of the ROTJ sleeveless jacket because itís designed like that. There are no pleats on the front and the arm hole isnít as deep.

There actually is an obi. Itís small, but is present. Itís the same material/color as the robe, so itís hard to make out. You can see it in the leaked shot, but just barely.

The belt may use the ANH buckle, but it isnít the same belt. The belt in ANH is only 2.5Ē wide, but this one is the same width as the buckle (3Ē). It also has the two pouches on it.

The shirt is white, though. Cream is too yellow. Itís not natural, because the stole is natural (darker than the shirt and lighter than the robe. The pants could be the same. There arenít enough references for them.

The tabards are definitely not tan, though. Itís too dark. If anything, they are more of a beige or natural. That would put the robe at sand or beige, respectively.

Sand or ecru would work for the cloak, but itís also close to khaki. Once I get the materials and colors set for mine, I can do a color match to find out. However, Iím still trying to finalize the material. One person suggested woven hemp or suiting burlap, o I have my work cut out for me.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cloak looks to be a moca brown in the movie.
Heco-Wan Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I would love to start a Luke TFA too, actually. Reading your post made a few questions spring in my mind, though:
**first question : the belt buckle!!! the only reference we seem to have is the "leaked" picture, we don't see the belt in the movie, if I am not mistaken (seen twice, I need another viewing!). But I am still not sure if the buckle is a simple oval (Most probably convex) or the Phoenix logo (like in "Rebels")???
**Obi : do you really see a Obi??? I cant seem to see anything between the belt and the tabards...
**would you say the tabards are the same color as the inner tunic, like it seem on the "leaked picture", or slightly more beige/natural color, like it seems in the movie
**finally, the cloak looks gray-ish to me... am I the only one? why everybody seems to say brown???

Cathar Base Singapora- Rebel Legion Singapore - www.rebellegion.sg
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedibarriss wrote:
the cloak looks to be a moca brown in the movie.

Thank you! Iíve got a color-corrected shot of the Luke and will be color-matching everything to the white shirt and natural tabards. Iíll definitely take that into consideration.

Heco-Wan Kenobi wrote:
**first question : the belt buckle!!! the only reference we seem to have is the "leaked" picture, we don't see the belt in the movie, if I am not mistaken (seen twice, I need another viewing!). But I am still not sure if the buckle is a simple oval (Most probably convex) or the Phoenix logo (like in "Rebels")???

Itís possible the buckle is convex, but it may also be the lights. However, the picture on it is just a trick of the lights. If anything, itís distressed.

Quote:
**Obi : do you really see a Obi??? I cant seem to see anything between the belt and the tabards...

In that picture, you can barely make it out, but it is there. Itís only about ĹĒ over and under the buckle. Looking through a frame-by-frame (I have friends at a theater), I checked what Gymbeau said and heís right. Itís visible in only a couple of frames.

Quote:
**would you say the tabards are the same color as the inner tunic, like it seem on the "leaked picture", or slightly more beige/natural color, like it seems in the movie

The tabards are lighter than the outer tunic and darker than the shirt. If the shirt is white, as Michael Kaplanís notes state, then that would make the tabards natural and the robe beige.

Quote:
**finally, the cloak looks gray-ish to me... am I the only one? why everybody seems to say brown???

I donít think itís gray. The color is washed out in the bright white of the leaked photo and the fog-diffused sunlight of the Ireland shot. I canít post the color-corrected shot because itís a physical printout.

----------

UPDATE: I have some fabric swatches that Iíll be matching in the coming week.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the details! I will start working on it! Wink

Heco-Wan Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of this belt buckle?

Found here: http://www.triplelux.com/product/17661/Big-Oval-Plain-Belt-Buckle.html

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heco-Wan Kenobi wrote:
What do you think of this belt buckle?

Found here: http://www.triplelux.com/product/17661/Big-Oval-Plain-Belt-Buckle.html
Actually, that's more detailed than the one I found!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am planning to do this costume. My beard is closer to Luke's than Old Ben's now. The "leaked" picture looked a lot like Old Ben's robes but there were still too many questions so I did not start on the costume then.

So, a longer version of Luke's outer tunic from Jabba's palace. Sleeveless, unlike Old Ben's. Obi is just visible under the belt in what pictures and screen grabs I have seen. Stole scarf instead of tabards.
ROTJ tunic and bib, but white.

The boots look like Frye Campus Boots but I'm going to stick with my locally made Obi Wan boots. Have to save money somewhere, right! If that belt design is accurate I'll make my own. Saberbelt.com is a good place to buy Luke's belt from.

The cloak is similar to Vader's but with a hood. I laughed a lot when I saw it tacked to the tunic! There is no chain or ties to hold it in place and stop it flying off in the wind so they tacked it on. So impractical!

It's all a matter of fabric color and type. Here in Turkey there is an unrivaled fabric industry centered mainly in the Aegean region where I live. Getting suitable cloth should not be a problem. But hi-res pictures would really help. I asked both Mark and Daisy on Twitter for Hi-res pics of Luke's costume. No reply yet.

Aside, my cosplay group made a screen-accurate Rey costume using all the correct fabrics, locally made, for about $30. If JJ paid more for Daisy's costume he got ripped off!!!

I'll be following this thread with great interest!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ata-pala wrote:
It's all a matter of fabric color and type. Here in Turkey there is an unrivaled fabric industry centered mainly in the Aegean region where I live. Getting suitable cloth should not be a problem. But hi-res pictures would really help. I asked both Mark and Daisy on Twitter for Hi-res pics of Luke's costume. No reply yet.

Aside, my cosplay group made a screen-accurate Rey costume using all the correct fabrics, locally made, for about $30. If JJ paid more for Daisy's costume he got ripped off!!!

Pardon me while I get incredibly jealous. When I was in the military, I took leave in your part of the world. I wish I had been in to costuming back then. I remember walking through an open-air market where a gentleman was selling raw silk for the equivalent of $0.80/yard. Though, I did pick up a couple of "rugs" for about $20 that I had appraised here in the States to over $1000 each.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am interested in doing an accurate costume. I'll be following this thread with great interest!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also following.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I'm still here and still in the planning stages. I'm supposed to have clear skies this weekend (in Oregon this is a rare occurrence), so I can get some full-light shots of the fabric.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time, I am at the edge of the fabrication portion of this costume. So, I need to get an official word on whether or not Luke Skywalker from The Force Awakens is going to be an approved Rebel Legion costume. If not, why?

I would rather not drop a few months of saved costuming money on a Rebel Hero costume that is not able to be approved for some reason. So, can I get an official ruling on this costume, please.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious on this point as well. I wasn't expecting anything until after the movie was released on digital download and Blu-ray.
501st Legion (IC/ID/IG/TI†- 18420), New England Garrison - Green Mountain Squad: Imperial Bridge Crew,†Tie-Pilot Reserve, Imperial Gunner, Imperial Security Bureau officer, Rogue One | In progress:†FOTK Officer
corellianfive ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the costume actually seen on screen is not full length and we have not seen this costume on display anywhere I do not believe there is enough conclusive evidence on how parts are constructed and how they sit and move.

I know you will disagree with me but that I believe it is why we are constantly changing our standards and how it leads to inconsistencies and "this person was approved"

I believe the LMO agrees from our discussions on the topic.

Perhaps the blu ray might have some more behind the scenes or even an updated costumes book or something soon. It isn't even in the Visual Dictionary.

But I wouldn't let that stop you from making it and having fun at low level events and when it does go on display, when we do know more then it will be approvable I am sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: