Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=40a156c7aa27576b3c8c8e1f1fd60f3eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Luke Skywalker WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psab Keel ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pics you can show us your results?
cpsnisi ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd also be interested in pictures of the burlap cloak. After experimenting with a sample, I've abandoned the idea for mine, but I'd love to see how yours turns out.

I've settled on a natural linen canvas for mine.
http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&fabric_id=1528
I debated between that and their 4C22 "heavy weight" (which isn't that heavy). I may regret going with the heavier canvas, but I liked the texture better, and the way the movie cloak drapes and moves, it does appear to have some weight to it so I think it'll be ok.

While I'm waiting for that to arrive, I'm working on the vest/outer tunic. I have a question regarding that... Is the back all one piece? It seems that there should be seams or slits for fitting and ease of movement, but there are none mentioned in the standards. I haven't seen a single reference picture of the back, so I suppose it's possible, it just seems odd to me. Is that how others have constructed it? With the back just one more or less rectangular piece with cutouts for the armscye and neck?
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see from the limited reference photos and videos available, I believe that the robe is double layered, or self lined. It has wide arm holes, splits at the waist on the sides and has full length back and front tabards, just like a prequel Jedi Outer tunic does, but obviously go to the ankle rather than to mid thigh length.

Also, unlike the prequel era outer tunics, this robe does not have a collar. I hope that helps.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the wig in. It needs washed and trimmed (I could also do with a trim), but it doesn't look too bad. It even fits my natural hair color!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpsnisi wrote:
While I'm waiting for that to arrive, I'm working on the vest/outer tunic. I have a question regarding that... Is the back all one piece? It seems that there should be seams or slits for fitting and ease of movement, but there are none mentioned in the standards. I haven't seen a single reference picture of the back, so I suppose it's possible, it just seems odd to me. Is that how others have constructed it? With the back just one more or less rectangular piece with cutouts for the armscye and neck?

All of the figurines (to include the Hot Toys expensive one) show a back seam. Those with removable cloaks also show there to be a split up the lower back like on the sides (rather than the back of the skirt being sewn together).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:

All of the figurines (to include the Hot Toys expensive one) show a back seam. Those with removable cloaks also show there to be a split up the lower back like on the sides (rather than the back of the skirt being sewn together).

Doh! I wish I'd seen your response before I finished the vest a few days ago. jeez
It honestly never occurred to me to use the toys and collectibles as a reference. Thanks for pointing that out. Oh well, if they do change the standards on me, it won't be too difficult to alter.
erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
cpsnisi wrote:

Problem is, the Hot Toys 1/6-scale figure also has a vertical seam down the center of the back of the cloak, which we KNOW isn't there on the filmed costume.

I'm wondering how much we can actually trust in those figures, as far as accuracy is concerned. I mean, the figure shows conventional tabards, vs. a stole - but we can't prove that either way. We just didn't see enough to prove it one way or another. Ditto the vest seam on the back, though I wonder how much we truly need to care about that one.

I think we can at least argue that we saw evidence of the split in the lower part of the vest, when the camera sweeps around Luke and Rey from behind him, with the wind blowing to his left - the fabric would bunch up more in the wind if it were one panel at the bottom of the vest, it seems to me, and that argues that the lower part of that piece is indeed split in the center. And I suppose, if the bottom is split it's much more likely that there's a seam running up the center of the back on that piece as well.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may find out when TLJ hits theaters. At least all evidence points to this costume being in the beginning of the movie, and hopefully we can clear up some of the confusion and speculation after getting a better look at it.

But we may have to wait for the film to come out on blu-ray and dvd before we go into a standard update, so we can look at the high res screen grabs.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was mentioned earlier that there were back tabards I thought of this photo. This is from the behind the scenes of the Vanity Fair cover shoot for The Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi2 by Nathan Andrews, on Flickr

The top arrow points to the split of the inner robe at the hip. The bottom arrow points to the back tabards that come down to the ankle. I'd say that this is pretty definitive proof that there are indeed back tabards, just like say Qui-Gon Jinn's Tunics, but instead of going to mid thigh Luke's obviously extend to the ankle.

As far as a seam running up the center back of the body of the inner robe, that has yet to be determined. Using the licensed toys and Sideshow busts as reference is helpful, though there are instances were seamlines from the molds used to make them can be mistaken for stitched seams on a costume. It's a tricky thing to determine until we have more conclusive reference photos or screengrabs from the movie/ trailers etc.

I personally hope this costume gets some decent screen time. While I really love Luke's darker costume with the layers, I'm digging this new style of Jedi ensemble. It hearkens back to the Guiness Kenobi with the longer inner robes, but does something new with the body of the robe fitting like and un-collared vest and the tunic worn underneath having form fitting sleeves.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 yards of burlap. Half price because of coupon. Kitty approved.

Now comes me spending $10 to wash it over and over with fabric softener and a wash-in scotch guard.

EDIT: Make that double kitty approved.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something interesting about Luke's tabards that I didn't see before. I was measuring the width of the tabard (it's the very slightly wider than the obi). What I found might be a bit of a game-changer for Lukes.

The tabards aren't made like PT tabards (two parts sewn at both sides). Instead, it's a single piece of fabric sewn into a tube. Well, it looks more like it was serged. It's not even interfaced.

I say that it's not interfaced because of the way it flaps during the Vanity Fair photoshoot when he's in the wind. Instead, it's just ironed down.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that makes things even easier. Basically how I make an obi. Smile Make a tube, turn inside out, iron it flat.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Well, that makes things even easier. Basically how I make an obi. :) Make a tube, turn inside out, iron it flat.
exactly. Though, I'm also adding some of the lightest of light weight fusible just to keep it flatish.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be helpful, in particular if it's a slightly firmer/stiffer fabric. Just to give a sharper edge.

Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling off all of my Luke TFA fabrics if anyone is interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: