Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d6ab4c87455c481a7a122a94737a0240Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Luke Skywalker WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psab Keel wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9f2y4jUYq8
That island. If a group were going to meet to discover the Force, that's definitely the kind of place they'd meet.

That said, I'll go ahead and download it at 720p and do a 0.1 second rip of all Mark's in-costume parts for adding to the library.
-----
Edit: And done. Now to find out to whom and/or where to send them.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
Psab Keel wrote:
No need to line it. It's real heavy, thick material.

unfortunately the standards are calling for every garment on this outfit to be 'self lined' (double layers).. because we can't see the raw edges.

I posted this pic in the standards thread but it was lost in the discussion. the cape is NOT lined. it has a ~4inch trim attached like an inverted 'lapel' on the front edge. not sure of the technical term for it... it's the same as han solo's vest.

(only the first 4 inches on eithr side are "self lined" -- seen standing open in this pic -- this part just folds under, to hide the raw edge)

On the one hand, I'd MUCH rather turn the seams in like that on a single layer of fabric for the cloak and rest of the outfit, rather than self-line EVERYTHING. Outfit's going to be hot enough as it is, and self-lining everything really does not seem necessary to me.

OTOH, I *DID* just get all that extra material I bought for the cloak's self-lining based on the draft CRL, and now I find out based on that photo that it's not necessary after all?!?
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cloak fabric does seem to have the same kind of property that the ROTJ cloak has. A heavy textured weave but loose enough to allow light to pass through. See the last screencap I posted where Luke is pulling his hood down. You can see some light through the weave. If this was self lined you likely wouldn't see the light coming through.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erictank wrote:
Cobalt-60 wrote:
Psab Keel wrote:
No need to line it. It's real heavy, thick material.

unfortunately the standards are calling for every garment on this outfit to be 'self lined' (double layers).. because we can't see the raw edges.

I posted this pic in the standards thread but it was lost in the discussion. the cape is NOT lined. it has a ~4inch trim attached like an inverted 'lapel' on the front edge. not sure of the technical term for it... it's the same as han solo's vest.

(only the first 4 inches on eithr side are "self lined" -- seen standing open in this pic -- this part just folds under, to hide the raw edge)

On the one hand, I'd MUCH rather turn the seams in like that on a single layer of fabric for the cloak and rest of the outfit, rather than self-line EVERYTHING. Outfit's going to be hot enough as it is, and self-lining everything really does not seem necessary to me.

OTOH, I *DID* just get all that extra material I bought for the cloak's self-lining based on the draft CRL, and now I find out based on that photo that it's not necessary after all?!?

The technical term is just a hem, probably with a hidden stitch of some kind.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it arrived. The majority of this will be used for my Luke. Trousers, outer tunic, stole, obi, and puttees. 20 yards in total, but there will be some left over for other projects/orders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to post a giant "THANK YOU" to all the folks who've contributed to this thread, with a very special thanks to Volund Starfire. Thanks to all of your research and commentary, I was able to put together an Old Luke for Dragoncon that I was very happy with. Still needs some upgrades/updates but it turned out pretty well.

Still need to upgrade the boots (if anyone has any suggestions on those other than a JDOS 9 month wait, I'd love to hear them Smile) and the robot hand first. The current one is a 3-D printed model over a black glove. Want to add some wiring and additional weathering to make it more accurate. And get some beard grey that doesn't involve 90% alcohol to activate. Wink

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, that looks amazing.

Secondly, get off my lawn! My thread. *hiss* *hiss* *hiss* Razz

Just kidding, it helps motivate me to see good works of art and discussion.

Finally, JDOS and motor cowboy are the only two I know that produce the boots... well, besides a site which shall not be mentioned because of their history. However, you might want to look into an actual cobbler. I didn't think they still existed, but I found one in an adjacent city. He's researching the boots and checking with distributors for the soles, but said it doesn't look all that difficult to make. He said it would take about a month or two (just because they're suede). So, do a search and you'll be surprised what you might find in that respect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
First off, that looks amazing.

Thank you. I sincerely mean "I couldn't have done it without you." Thanks so much for sharing your research here and at the RPF.

Quote:
However, you might want to look into an actual cobbler.

Such a brilliantly simple idea. I wouldn't have ever thought of it. And some quick google searches have resulted in a few places that might be suitable.

And to share part of my build learning, I found that it's quite easy to make the belt buckle out of a sheet of tin. Grabbed a small 10"x10" sheet from Lowes, along with some tin snips. Drew a pattern on the tin, but made the pattern a 1/4" larger all the way around. Cut out the shape, and some angles at the corners, and then placed each edge in a vice and then bent it to a 90 degree angle. This gave the tin an illusion of depth. Weathered it with an airbrush and then velcroed it to the belt. Was a bit worried the buckle might fall off from the jostling, but it's been solidly attached since DC. I'll post some pictures of the process later.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!

I'll be using the Dharma Heavy Handwoven Material for the cloak and here is what I will be using for my robes:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ur-963/european-100-linen-wheat

I just got it in today and the color, weight, and weave are a really close match to what I see when I look at reference photos. I'm not keen on having to dye fabrics unless I have no other option so having this in the correct beigey cream color is excellent!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let people know that I’m still around and still working on this project.

As of this moment, I have the materials collected (or en route) for the entire costume with the exception of the belt, cloak, and lightsaber (not a requirement, but just something I’d like for it).

While I’ll be able to get pretty much everything put together over the next couple of weeks, I probably won’t be getting the material for the cloak until after Celebration. Unfortunately, it is really expensive (it’s about $16/yd and needs to be self-lined).

With that said, expect to see some actual progress pictures in this WIP thread by no later than next weekend.

Also, just in case you forgot…

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Need Pattern for Luke Skywalker Cloak Episode 7 Reply with quote

Ben Does anyone know where I can find Luke Skywalker's Jedi Cloak Pattern in The Force Awakens?
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only the first 4 inches at the front are 'self-lined'. the rest is just one layer.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a wonderful little bit of time off from most things, I have found the material they used for Luke's cloak. It's frakking jute burlap. I washed a yard of it three times using half the amount of detergent and a full helping of fabric softener. It's workable, but I will be doing it five times for the main event.

After ironing, it looks identical to the cloak. The color I purchased is even the appropriate color. So, come the 1st, I'll be buying a full bolt of it from my local Joann.

I also have a reliable feeler out for the robe, stole, waistwrap, trouser, and wraps material. More to come.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
After a wonderful little bit of time off from most things, I have found the material they used for Luke's cloak. It's frakking jute burlap.

I'm curious about the jute burlap. Have you had a chance to really work with it yet? Asking because I've used the stuff before and I really don't like it. If you wash it enough times, does it eventually stop shedding fibers like crazy and smelling like a barn? The stuff Joann's says is sanitized and odorless is a little better but I've found it's still pretty miserable to work with and it's definitely not something I'd want to wear for any length of time. However, it has the right look for the cloak and it's very affordable. If you've found a way to make it more pleasant to sew and wear, I'd be grateful if you'd share your experience.

Also, thank you to everyone who has contributed here. I'm starting work on a TFA Luke costume and the pictures and experiences shared here have been very helpful.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a site that sells burlap at 60" wide. I've also found a way of treating it so that it softens and is sealed. It involves rolling the ends and sewing them down tight (not the selvage, just the raw ends).

I wash it once with industrial detergent, twice with half-detergent and an industrial fabric softener, three times with normal fabric softener (added at the beginning and in the ball), and then one final time with an in-wash fabric upholstery sealant. Then dry it and sew it. The fibers will be soft and sealed to prevent fraying.

My wife, who is allergic to jute, can handle it without problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: