Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=56de416d5c3b3aafba918a28a5acc2beMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Leia Blue Dress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I don't think anyone really knows the height, so it's not specified. Pick one you like. Smile

Huzzah!

Alpha 75 - "No Instructions? No problem!"
FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
RLGS, RLSC
In progress, Boushh and Jawa
Artquest ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve just started to work on this outfit, and find all your comments extremely helpful. Iíve been doing SF and Fantasy costuming for decades, but this particular outfit is a real challenge.

I did get some great help with the underdress fabric, at least I think I did. I went to S&F Fabrics in Los Angeles and showed some of these photos to the salesman there. He told me that Michael Kaplan, the fashion designer for TFA and TLJ, shopped there and bought fabrics for both underdress and overdress there. They were out of the overdress fabric but still had the underdress fabric, did I want some? Heh.

Iím not totally sure of his credibility as he described it as a 4-ply silk (most 4-plies are crepes, and this isnít a crepe) and why would they still have some several years later?

At any rate, for what itís worth, the fabric is a relatively heavy silk in a muted teal color. It has some body but drapes nicely. The color doesnít reproduce very well. This weekend, Iíll try to get a pantone number on it.

https://artquest.smugmug.com/Leia-blue-dress/i-5k8jVTZ/A
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'll look forward to what you make of this. Smile

But sometimes movie fabric does stay in circulation for years after the movie was in production. Other times it cannot be found at all. It varies so much.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Artquest ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blue silk fabric turned out to be a b*tch to work with. However, the underdress got done and I've been working on the pattern for the outer dress. You would think it was the simplest thing possible, but it's not.

I've never done anything that wasn't on the straight grain of the fabric. This thing is about 20 degrees off grain. That changes so much. And it EATS fabric! Anyway, here are some in-progress pictures.

UNDERDRESS

TEMPLATE FOR NECKLINE

MUSLIN WITHOUT DARTS

MUSLIN AGAIN, THIS TIME WITH DARTS

The darts really help, so this is my final muslin. I'm still getting some kind of weird buckling across the top of the cutout part. I hope that'll disappear when I put in the interfacing. Fingers crossed.
Artquest ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric for the outer dress is a nice linen with some texture (more after I washed it), but the original color was off. I dipped it in a dilute solution of water and navy RIT dye, and it all came together. I'll be cutting it out tomorrow.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your progress looks good, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Smile

Artquest ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for asking. It has been a real trial by fire. i made the overdress in linen, but it turned out to be a mess. Because my linen was woven a bit on the loose side, the bias cut did me in. It stretched if you even looked at it. I tried to stabilize the rectangular cut out with fusible interfacing, which kept the cut in place but the rest of each piece sagged. It looked like a really bad face lift!

So I went to my last fabric, a kind of chenille. Itís got more body and holds together better. The bias turns out to be a blessing because this stuff unravels really easily. But itís thick fabric, which creates its own problems. Thatís good for the rectangular cut out since I learned not to interface it. And it should provide some nice support for the shoulder pieces. But itís too thick for the points of the cutouts in the necklines. Iíll face that with the lining.

Anyway, Iím almost done. Thatís good because Comic-Con is in a week! More photos to follow in the next few days.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing it and hope you have lots of fun at the con. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: