Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e7d846f67de9c9668d63101ed76ac073Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano (Rebels) Costume Build!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amber Brite ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Ahsoka Tano (Rebels) Costume Build! Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Some of you in the Phoenix area might know me as the blue twi'lek bounty hunter running around (and sometimes a pink twi'lek, I have a mild obsession, yes). I have caught the Ahsoka bug though! I'm currently working on a headpiece for her. I will be making it out of a stiff foam for the top montrals then super flexible foam for the lekku. This will make it lightweight but flexible and allow full mobility.

Here's the current rough sculpt of it with one of the lekku already in place to give an idea of what it's going to look like:

Here's the fabrics I have for her clothing so far:

The armor I'm going to build out of sintra. I'm super excited for it. Smile I have lots of experience with bodypainting of all colors so I'm not too worried. The biggest thing I'm worried about.... affording damn white lightsabers! LOL
endorra (Wendy Brown)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Amber

Welcome aboard! I'm very interested in seeing the development of your Ashoka.

Please, don't hesitate to let us know if you have questions and/or need help.

Thanks,
Wendy

Endorra

Temple Master, Tosche Temple, Mos Eisley Base
"Everybody's Favorite Jed!"
Amber Brite ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: MOAR UPDAAAATES Reply with quote

OK. So I had the mold done enough that I could mock-up a prototype of the headpiece. I don't have the rear tail done (I ran out of clay) so I used two of the lekku pieces to stand in its place. Then I painted it up (since this one won't be used for Ahsoka, I did an original paint job).

Here's what we're looking at:

(Pardon the mess in the photos, it was the week before a big convention so my house was a TOTAL disaster zone LOL)

It's still just a rough prototype. I need to smooth out the seams on the sides (I have a couple of products I'm going to try) and to finish sculpting the rear headtail so that'll fit nicely there.

Still, I wore it all day at a convention this weekend -- 8 hrs plus! -- and was comfortable doing so. It's very lightweight and the nature of the flexible lekku allow me to turn my head and even look up and down with confidence. Very Happy As soon as I get a better picture of my outfit I'll post it here so you all can see what it looks like on me.

So with this mostly handled I'm going to start mocking up the armor pieces. I've got them templated out and a sheet of Sintra with their name on it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy [/img]
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no words, you literally just grabbed them from me.

Simply.. wow.

The skills and talents you have blow me away. This kind of a headpiece has been driving my thoughts for days on end, materials and shape forming were my primary concerns. You found a way, in the line of foam (casts made from an earlier twilek-style mold?) to have flexible, light tails? I've considered putting epoxy in swimming funnel tubes into the socket regions of the central headpiece, than make clay around that for a master item to mold and cast later on. Don't think I can do that anymore... I'm running my mouth here, I'd love to discuss things with you, if your willing Rio.

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
Amber Brite ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Hey the armor's here! Reply with quote

OK so I'm hoping to wear this tomorrow so I'm busting butt today. Very Happy This is pretty consistent with how I do stuff, unfortunately. 90% wasting of time/mulling and then 10% crazy frantic crafting. ANYWAY. LET'S SEE WHATS UP.

First of all I sculpted and am just about done molding the back tail. This is what the rough sculpt looked like (of course I forgot to take a picture before I slapped silicone on it):

So while that was hardening up I started on the armor. This is Sintra as a base with Terraflex on top. Each piece I planned out the detailing on top then cut and applied the pieces painstakingly. This means this armor was a solid 6-8 hrs of just cutting and piecing, but I didn't want to just paint the detail on, I wanted it to be fully legit.

Next is a TON of sanding, and the shknees which are the only piece that I'm honestly concerned about. Then tomorrow I'll whip up the cloth pieces and we'll be doing a test run of this tomorrow evening. Very Happy

Yay!~

srsmith332, thanks so much for the compliments! Very Happy I'm happy to talk about my process, just send me a PM. Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress and I'm curious to see how this go/went. Smile It does sound very frantic.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I just spotted you, from a person who shared, upon sharing, from another share, on a facebook group. Ms. Amber Brite Wink. Now I know you have a build stream, will tune in if it's still happening.

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
Amber Brite ()

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: FIRST WEAR! Reply with quote

OK. Phew. So much done on this costume in the past 72 hrs. LOL I wore it to my first event(s) today! The number of kids who just ran up to me to hug me or who got SO excited to see Ahsoka was astounding. I absolutely LOVED it. I can't wait to have her officially! Very Happy

Right. Let's get down to updates. First things first, I made a new back headtail in the Ahsoka style. It fits really well, though I don't intend to use the product in the back that I used to try and hide the side seams. As you can see, the product I was using (a flexible putty) is a supremely different consistency from the foam and is VERY glaringly obvious. So, back to the drawing board on hiding the seams. Ah well.

Keep in mind this headpiece is still my prototype headpiece, so in these pictures and all the ones I took today it is NOT the right paint job for Ahsoka. It's not even really the right colors, though at least Ahsoka's is blue-grey and I was using regular grey.

I really really don't like how straight down the sides are when Ahsoka's are super curved. So what do I do? .... make new sculpts for the sides. LOL So those'll be shorter but more curved for Ahsoka's headpiece.

I also have my armor shaped, painted, and mostly assembled.

All but the shknees which I've honestly been dragging my feet on cause they're going to be such a pain in the butt. LOL

I'm going to weather them with browns to darken up the light tan that the armor plates are and make the designs really pop. I wore them for like... sixish? hours today and found the armor very comfortable and easy to move in, so that's pretty awesome. I also need to add in the light-up details on the gauntlets and the chestpiece, which should be easy enough since we've done that before.

So.... wanna see it?!?! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Drumroll please...!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

AAAAH SO CLOSE TO BEING DOOOONNNNEEE

There's also some awesome video on https://www.facebook.com/FirelightCosplay/
Shows off how flexible/swingy my headpiece is. Very Happy

Eeeee!~
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your body paint is really well done! What product did you use?

Superb development btw. I can tell you worked your tail off (literally? Ha!) Your figure really works with the character the very well too. Can't wait to see it all entirely finished.

How kids tugged on your Montral? 20?! I hear that's a common problem when wearing lekku of sorts..

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you had fun. Smile Of course, now comes all the upgrades for the Legion. Wink
I like the low armor pieces the best; the design looks really good with those two layers. Chest armor needs to be redone, but I'm sure you're aware of this already.

Good luck with it all.

TheGrayMando ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd love to know what color paint or product you used!!
Amber Brite ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrayMando, srsmith332, I use an alcohol based body paint called Temptu (their basic orange) for the base color. I airbrush it on and then use a water based paint called Wolfe for the facial design. Doing this gives me really good durability (8+ hrs!), comfort (no flaking!), and a good look. It does make it a paint to take off but it's worth it. Very Happy

(And as far as the montrals, I'm super tall so most kids can't reach the shorter ones. It's a serious problem when I'm in my twi'lek, though. USUALLY, however, it's older men who are grabbing it! It's insane how often that happens, super rude!)

Lora, thanks so much for taking a look! Very Happy How's the headpiece looking so far?! That's the part I'm most invested in! Very Happy

As far as the chestplate, I need to finagle the shape a little bit (it looks right from square on but not from the sides) and probably come up with a more secure attachment -- velcroing it straight to the shirt means its very.. uh... swingy? I'm thinking about reinforcing the shirt right there somehow to keep it in place. I also have to do the Ahsoka paint job on the headpiece, figure out her light sabers, add the lights on the bust and the forearms, and do the shknees.

I did, however, weather the armor. It was a multistep process!

LOL.

Then riveted them correctly (as opposed to just having sewn everything on), cleaned up the belt a little bit, and this is what it looks like:

I purposely wanted to make it look more of a rusty look rather than a painted on design look. I know she's CGI but translating her to real life I'd like to make her feel authentic and not... cartoony, I guess. So hopefully that translated OK in my weathering choices.

Got the lightsaber clips for the side panels drying as we speak, then just need to slap them on.

Hopefully next update will have pictures of the updated headpiece as well as shknees! I keep putting them off, oi...
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an alien expert, but the lekku part does seem slim at the top and in need of added volume.

I might have to poke someone better versed in this than me to help you with that. Wink

Amber Brite ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Headpiece pictures! Reply with quote

Lora, don't worry about it too much. Very Happy At this point the mold is done and to remake it would cost almost a grand all together. Soooooo... it's either good and I'll get approved, or it's not and that's the end of that! Laughing

So I finally FINALLY got the headpiece I'm going to use for Ahsoka all put together... AND PAINTED. (In the right paint job!)

Lookee!!!

I'm so happy with how the colors and pattern came out, did it all freehand so it was fun. xD The colors are pretty much perfect, too. They look greyish until some full spectrum light hits them, then they show up beautifully blue but not obnoxiously blue, you know? I'm very happy with it.

Now to grab a couple of hours sleep before waking up tomorrow for moar worktimes! Yaaaay!
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really nice. Is there any way to smooth out that bit in the center?
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: