Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e2b2ced12e9c8637f1e50365b31f1575Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

You-Know-Who (TFA spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabari ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: You-Know-Who (TFA spoilers) Reply with quote

Alrighty. May as well make this official! I'm starting Rey's final outfit (Resistance? Jedi Steps? whatever you want to call it)...

(I'll also post all the reference photos I've found, once I can get to a better computer)

Main Parts:

-Grey wool herringbone vest

-Off-white wrap collar shirt (I'm thinking similar fabric to her other shirt)

-Grey arm warmers and arm wraps

-Hair, belt and boots- same as the rest of the film. I will be constructing my own lookalike boots.
-Brownish-gray capri pants with knee pads
-LPA NN-14 blaster (the one Han gave her) and holster to match the belt
-I probably need Luke's ESB saber, though I have several Ultrasabers to use temporarily

(other possible items: tan canvas sling bag; Rey's staff)
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test shirt: please forgive the mess! I'm not great at sewing knits. Also, I reversed the direction of the overlap - it should be the other way around. I'm mostly happy with the overall shape; the sleeve openings need to be tweaked a little.

The crossover at the neckline is not sewn together; in the movie you can see it gap open a bit when she kisses Finn on the forehead. Rey's neckline is probably a bit deeper than mine, but I'm bustier than Daisy Ridley, so I tried to make it as deep as possible with minimal cleavage showing.

I believe there is a short stand-up collar as well; you can see just the corner inside her vest's collar. I'm still playing around with the shape.

This is about the angle of what you see of the collar in the film:

It will depend on the final fabric, but if it's as thin as this one, the back needs a second layer so it isn't obviously more see-through than the front.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice breakdown and good luck. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of reference pictures:
https://www.pinterest.com/nissetaunt/rey-final-force-awakens-spoilers/
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, does this costume have any official standards yet?

Also, two questions:
1. I'd like to have the lightsaber, but I don't have the funds to buy one (or the proper Graflex parts). I'm fairly confident I can make a decent facsimile from scratch, but it won't be "officially accurate". Would that be a problem?

2. I haven't found a proper herringbone fabric yet. Is plain grey wool (in the right color and weight) acceptable to start with?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this doesn't have a standard yet. So, it's a tricky one to judge.

I know another member found wool with a herringbone pattern. (She has a tread here, too). It was too dark so she has bleached it to take out some color. Maybe ask her where she got hers?

Can't really answer your other questions as we don't have a standard... If it looks the part it should fly though.

Jabari ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd check, thanks. I'll keep going with what I've got then.

If the person who found the herringbone fabric is the other thread I'm thinking of, she found it wandering through a fashion district, which isn't really an option for me. I can find the right color, the right size herringbone, or the right weight - but not all three!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking as you work. You might get lucky. Smile (Incidentally, I saw a grey, wool herringbone pattern jacket today and immediately thought 'Rey!' Then I started wondering if it could be changed into Rey's jacket, before mentally slapping myself and getting back to finding pants I might not want to shred).

Jabari ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, fabric choices: what do you think?

Top row: 1. lining 2. my original "close enough" choice 3. herringbone overcoat that I should be able to get just enough fabric from 4. nice grey wool that is the backup 5. light grey wool? scrap, might use this for the arm wraps

Bottom row: 1. grey knit, might use this as lining for the arm wraps 2. swatch of herringbone upholstery fabric 3. tan stretch denim for pants 4. not the shirt fabric, but probably close enough for a color reference 4. wool basketweave fabric for shoes

Do I go with the herringbone coat? Do you think it needs any darkening/lightening? Or do I go with the solid greys? And should I darken the pants fabric at all, or just weather them?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small swatch looks pretty good to me. Smile

Jabari ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
The small swatch looks pretty good to me. Smile

Problem is, it's kind of thin and doesn't look as good in person. Razz
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it doesn't... *head desk* That would be too easy, right?

Jabari ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to try over-dyeing the coat fabric to see if I can get it a little darker. I pulled apart one of the cuff flaps to get a test swatch for washing; there's a weird backing that's kind of rotting off inside, but I should be able to peel it off and I think the residue will wash off. The test piece didn't shrink at all, so it might not be actual wool, but it's the closest I've been able to find.

Also, interestingly: over on the RPF someone pointed out that the prominent seams on the vest - the two back ones and the side of the neck - may be joined with faggoting (see "bar faggoting" here: http://www.victorian-embroidery-and-crafts.com/faggoting.html )

You can see it pretty well in this picture. I'm guessing the seam is probably backed with a strip of the grey fabric (which would also cover the interior hems of the seam).

Apparently, on one of the exclusive extras, there is a shot of Rey with the vest off, and you can see what looks like a curved seam on the shirt that goes across the shoulder blades, too.
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in this picture, you can see the vest is self lined, at least at the front - there's a double layer of fabric on the front edge. You can see it best right below the bag strap:

The original is here, along with a lot of good hi-res screen shots: http://kissthemgoodbye.net/movie/displayimage.php?album=478&pid=1055062#top_display_media
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I broke down and just bought the Po-Zu boots. They are very comfortable - I will be wearing them as regular shoes in the fall!

(and once again I will have a costume with shoes that cost more than the rest of the outfit)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: