Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5b5c7fb6ad0168d55430a9f45c456ff6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP - Very Slow Build of Jocasta Nu
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archivist32 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: WIP - Very Slow Build of Jocasta Nu Reply with quote

Hi All,
This is my first attempt at a Legion standard jedi costume. So I have decided to do a Jocasta Nu. I think this costume as a costume with some pieces drafted from scratch I will be able to cope with it.

I am starting with the skirt first. As all my pre-Star Wars costuming has taught me to build a costume from the inside out. From the character reference material this character has a wrap skirt. I have decided to draft the skirt as a 1/2 circle wrap skirt to have a similar fullness falling from the hips to the hem. However, it is difficult to tell if the original costume had some sort of support to make it flare out more.

Here is a photo of my preliminary pattern draft. However, while not completely accurate for readers it gives you an idea of how to 1/2 circle skirt draft may look like before it is copied and made into a calico sample. Btw calico has the same drape as linen.

Here's a link to my skirt draft: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-K6HVD86W088/VoY-ya-5OrI/AAAAAAAAA2E/-CrGp93c3lY/s640/1918547_10208615348006858_3148353420076772627_n.jpg

Cheers

Archivist 32

Cosplay takes you from the ordinary to the extrodinary.
Bookworm ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, librarians unite! *g*

I did a costume based on Jocasta without being actually her, but an own character (generic jedi). I also did a wrapped skirt. Mine is made out of 10 sewed together parts, but Jocasta might have less seames, so your approach looks nice. Mine also wrapps around 1,5 times around me, that should approximately be the same as with Jocasta. I fastened it, by making a whole in the skirt and pulling the fastening through, like this:

There is also a tutorial in the tutorial section on how to do Jocasta.
Good luck with your build!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love to see a Jocasta as she's on my own wish list. Smile I recently (this week) gathered links to other Jocasta threads in the tutorial section to help Jocasta costumers, so good timing. (I might have missed some as I only went 20 pages back to look for Jocasta threads).
The webpage also have an updated standard: http://www.rebellegion.com/jocasta-nu/

Good luck with it.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Archivist32 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bookworm and Lora,
Indeed! Librarians all unite! I choose this costume because I am studying to be a library systems administrator and I couldn't walk past the irony of art imitating life. :-)

I chose the 1/2 circle pattern for the skirt due to fitting issues. the side seams will allow changes to be made to the front and back of the skirt. Making the hang of the garment much nicer to look at and it will also accommodate heavier weight fabrics.

I am slowly source fabric samples and I got my first colour card for medium weight linen:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4cZr9CbMJig/VpN-g18f8lI/AAAAAAAAA2U/e0rBKhE-t0U/s400/IMAG1283.jpg

I am leaning towards the chocolate the first sample on the card. It is actually a lot darker than the photo a near brown/black. This is my first step in tracking down suitable fabrics for the skirt and the inner tunic.

I picked linen to begin with because Australian summers are hot, it launders and presses well. However, it crushes really easily though.[/url]

Cheers

Archivist32

Archivist32 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bookworm,
Like your idea of a tie for the fastening. This type of fastening is good for people who have waistline fluctuation issues rather than a button fastening. Do you know how many times the tie should be longer than the waistline of the skirt? That would help me draft the tie pattern piece.

Thanks

Archivist 32

Bookworm ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Archivist,
the tie also makes fastening a lot faster than having to search for buttons.
I measured mine. The short part on the front panel is about 50cm long, the long part, that goes around my back measures 110cm, but could easily be 20cm shorter. I just sewed a long band and sewed that to the skirts upper border. Some left over pieces should do the job. The wrap around skirt is actually totally easy to sew as you have practically only the lenght to measure. The rest is adjustable anyway and don't need to be cut to waist or something.
I also sewed some big pockets into two of the side seams - the small pouches on the belt are really not fit to stuff all the things, that a woman needs into them, plus I always worry about them being stolen. But the opening of the pockets is hidden by the Outer Tunic and they are big enough to stuff all of my money, keys and credit cards in them without showing.

Last edited by Bookworm () on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I originally wanted to have a Jocasta by the time I finished with library and information science, but that didn't happen. Still got to make it happen, just so I can do a library troop and actually be a librarian at the same time. Wink
And besides I've have long loved her costume.

So far I have some raw silk lying around and a lot of acid powder dyes, but daring to start experiment with them... that's the hard part!

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Archivist32 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bookworm and Lora,
Thank you for your helpful comments :-) Lora, I know its the hardest step to make but experimenting is the fun part. Just use samples squares and take notes for each batch. So that you can repeat the dying process for all of your fabric. :-) This skirt draft I am working on is the first draft I am doing by myself. So have a go and see what happens.

Cheers
Archivist32

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I will. Smile I'm currently most afraid of turning on my (very expensive) weight and try to use it. Rolling Eyes But once I start I'll be taking notes! Lots and lots of notes!

Archivist32 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dyed cloth a little. Make sure you 'set' your dye with the correct chemical according to the fibre content. Then wash your dyed test patches to test for colour fastness. If the test sample runs after you set it you know that anything else in that wash will pick up the dye and you didn't set it properly. Make sure you follow the instructions on the dye pack. Be aware that some excess dye will wash out during the first wash so that the full colour fastness of the test swatch will not be know until the second or third wash. Suggest you take photos to compare colour loss.

Archivist32 ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have drafted all of the skirt panels required for this project. Next when I have time I will move on to doing two pockets and a waist band. Then it will be time for a test! I hope to get at it over Easter. This depends on university assessment due dates!

Cheers

Archivst32

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Then hopefully there will be pictures after Easter. Smile

MsVal313 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be following this! I am a YA Librarian. I so want to do a generic Librarian/Jedi so I can wear it to work. You all have great ideas. I am saving Jocasta for my twilight years Wink
Archivist32 ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All and MsVal313,

Thanks, I hope to draft the waist band really soon and shape the front left panel. If you have access to a copy of Dressing the Galaxy there is a slight spiral hem on this skirt. With a shorter hem on the front panel that ends on the left leg. Won't be able to show pictures of this garment feature until the test garment is sewn.

Welcome all Librarians I say. May be we will have a Librarian troop!

Cheers

Arhivist32

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Librarians unite! Mr. Green Someday we may need a librarian/archivist group within the detachment. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: