Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=595fb6ebd53b2902ba7d4bc83bf6249aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano (TCW 1-2) WIP - Help Please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code Violet ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Ahsoka Tano (TCW 1-2) WIP - Help Please! Reply with quote

Hello! Last year I threw together a very rough Ahsoka Tano for SDCC and I'm looking to clean her up and get her RL approved! I know I've got a long way to go, and I'm not quite sure how to get where I want to be. I would greatly appreciate any and all input from the community to help me upgrade her!

This is what she looks like at the moment:

I made her by referencing some pictures and I had no idea about the costume requirements listed, so I plan to go back and try to match those as closely as possible while keeping as many pieces as I can.

Costume Requirements

Things to do:
-Remake Skirt/ Tube top in Suede
-Make Boot Spats + Buy bottom boot/shoe
-Make detached hand guards/gloves
-Buy/Practice my Orange Bodypaint
-Fix the pouch/food capsules that keep popping off
-Buy/Make a Lightsaber (suggestions?)
-Weather Everything....
-???

Questions:

-How stringent are the judges on the 'square toed' boots requirement? I'm having a really hard time finding some square toed boots that aren't cowboy boots or have a giant clunky heal. Will I be turned away if I have round toed boots? I'm thinking about buying these to use for the actual shoe part and making detached boot spats.

-Are the colors of the gauntlets way off? Will I be able to keep them or will I have to remake them in a red color? And do they/the buckles look super jenky?

-Should I grabbag a green lightsaber from Ultrasabers or fork up a little extra for the Ahsoka lightsaber from Saberforge? This probably won't make it or break it, and will come down to more of a personal preference decision but I want to know how you guys feel about these two (or other?) options

I'm open to all comments/suggestions! (but please be constructive/mindful of my feelings please!) I'd love to know which pieces you guys think are nice enough to keep (please don't make me redo the headpiece), which I'll definitely need to replace (total lack of boots/spats), and which are questionable (belt/loincloth?)

Thank you all~

Kristina

Last edited by Code Violet () on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a better suggestion for the Ahsoka Sabers:

http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/5935/solos-hold-clone-wars-ahsoka

Aaron is doing both the full size AND the shoto (seen in the later seasons), both are 1:1 accurate. If at all possible, stay away from Saberforge.

Dave
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say I'm sure very little needs to be done with your costume, I thought you nailed it on the head!

Lightsabers

-Should I grabbag a green lightsaber from Ultrasabers or fork up a little extra for the Ahsoka lightsaber from Saberforge? This probably won't make it or break it, and will come down to more of a personal preference decision but I want to know how you guys feel about these two (or other?) options

With the lightsabers, what lgstbr said, those will be empties he sells. You can purchase them after the run he has going but it'll cost you somewhere around 600+ Euros. If you intend for an installer to do the components, many sabersmiths, that I know of at least, are quite busy for the next couple of months. Lightsabers are quite popular, so it would seem Smile.

It would probably be a better idea to do the installs yourself, if your feeling ambitious. The support accessories are still being made for the Solohold's editions. I've been told that they should be completed by the end of the week from one of the staff.

Judging

On average, if you look like the character, you can get in the legion. Some judges I've bumped into can be quite cavalier in their judging, such as they might critique your material, or you have a shown zipper here, etc.. Things along those lines. Their are also some judges that say that if you have the major props and have a very good likeliness to your character, it can be RL approved. It depends on the charter you intend to join. Like it's more strict (I'm told) in Florida's Charter as opposed to my own Charter up here in Wisconsin.

Gauntlets

It's got a nice sheen and the color goes very well with the outfit.

From a simplistic POV, I don't think you should. It works well with the outfit. The skin grab underneath really makes your gauntlets look authentic as well.

From a very strict POV, the gauntlets are more 'pointed' as they cup the hands. The buckles are quite large. Also if your going to compliment the color of the costume, a burgendy-class color should be used. Again though, I think you did an excellent job with your current outfit. Your body paint matches very well with your outfit.

In an analogy, you painted a complete picture in a unique style of shading. It makes the whole picture come together, but the shading compared to the reference isn't right.

I look forward to seeing your updates and progress. Keep up the good work!

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I'm trying to follow what you are saying and it isn't making sense. Right now the pre-order is still open for $465 for the pair. Yes, they are empty and will need to have sound and light added later. The pre-order closes in a few weeks, then machining will begin, with a finish window of 8-14 weeks.

As far as having a pro do the install, while most are busy you can always schedule a install. Matter of fact, if you check the thread there will be a list of installers that are approved that will make time to do the install in a timely fashion.

What are you talking about 'support accessories'? What 'staff' are you referring to? The only 'staff' at Solo's Hold is Aaron. The only accessories being offered are Special Batteries for the Shoto Direct from Solo's Hold, LED's from Saberbay, GOTH is going to make the Chassis Design, and Covertec Clips from me. None of those, with the exception of the Covertec Clips, are available by the end of the week. I'm trying to understand your post about this.

If you are looking for a screen accurate representation of the Ahsoka hilts, look no further than Solo's Hold. Saberforge is extremely inaccurate, Parks is the same way, and neither of them offer the Shoto. It doesn't take much research to see all the negative feedback on Saberforge, so if you choose that route you do so at your own risk.

Dave

srsmith332 wrote:
I'd like to say I'm sure very little needs to be done with your costume, I thought you nailed it on the head!

With the lightsabers, what lgstbr said, those will be empties he sells. You can purchase them after the run he has going but it'll cost you somewhere around 600+ Euros. If you intend for an installer to do the components, many sabersmiths, that I know of at least, are quite busy for the next couple of months. Lightsabers are quite popular, so it would seem Smile.

It would probably be a better idea to do the installs yourself, if your feeling ambitious. The support accessories are still being made for the Solohold's editions. I've been told that they should be completed by the end of the week from one of the staff.

srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right about the preorder price. I speak of the price that'll incure once the run has ended. I got a tid-bit of news that the run will end in about 2 weeks time from the day of this posting.

The person I speak of, his name is simply Solo's Hold, but I've been contacted by 'Obi-Shane' also.

Those are the accessories I speak of, the Chassis, the battery, and the LEDs. I thought she would like to investigate the thread herself.

100% agree with the citation of Saberforge. I bought a Phoenix Champion from them, very disappointing in that the LED dislodged itself as soon as I dropped just once. I thought it was the retention screw in it, but it sinks deeper than that. *rage*!

WIP - Adult Ahsoka Tano (Season 3-5) Linky - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67686
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotcha now. The run will start in a few weeks when the pre-order closes, then the finish time is 8-14 weeks. Remember, there will be close to 200 Sabers, or more, that need to be finished so that takes time

Honestly, the fact you can jump in on a set with a $262 deposit is a steal for 2 Sabers, why wait for them to be finished and pay more?

If you have doubts about quality, just look at what Slo's Hold/Aaron has done:

Force Unleashed 2 Saber - 1 run done and another in progress
Luke ROTJ V2 - the best to date
Han Greedo Killer Blaster
Padawan Stunt Saber - I have one and it is FANTASTIC
Ventress Saber - the baddest and best one made - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-laLHiWuQ

His attention to detail and quality is better than just about everyone out there.

Dave

srsmith332 wrote:
Your right about the preorder price. I speak of the price that'll incure once the run has ended. I got a tid-bit of news that the run will end in about 2 weeks time from the day of this posting.

The person I speak of, his name is simply Solo's Hold, but I've been contacted by 'Obi-Shane' also.

Those are the accessories I speak of, the Chassis, the battery, and the LEDs. I thought she would like to investigate the thread herself.

100% agree with the citation of Saberforge. I bought a Phoenix Champion from them, very disappointing in that the LED dislodged itself as soon as I dropped just once. I thought it was the retention screw in it, but it sinks deeper than that. *rage*!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srsmith332, I think you got us confused with the 501st; the judging is the same no matter where in the world you are located in the RL. Smile The RL employs a team of judges, not a local GMO/BMO for the judging of costumes.

As for the questions, some of the things we will look at are colors, shape and fit. Currently almost all your colors are off (pants looks fine), so that will take some work, but you already seem aware of this. And from what I can see the headpiece looks very good.
As for the boots, get them as flat toed as you can. If everything else looks spot on a slightly rounded toe won't be a dealbreaker, but do avoid something very rounded or pointy. (Drawing that flat toe was evil).

The tabard may also be too dark and too much on the blue side. The design and shape is good though. You can keep it, but I have a feeling it will look off when the rest is made.

And yes, the buckles on the gauntlets do look kinda big.

Here is a link to the kjo's reference gallery: http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=ahsoka-tano-the-clone-wars-season-1-2

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
srsmith332, I think you got us confused with the 501st; the judging is the same no matter where in the world you are located in the RL. Smile The RL employs a team of judges, not a local GMO/BMO for the judging of costumes.

I may have had my facts mixed up from some of the impressions from some of the members of the base up here. I've only had the privilege of meeting 3 or 4 RL members, 2 of them being organizers (or judges, I'm not sure, but they've been with the RL for a very long time). We spoke alot of words.

We discussed things ranging from the time it takes to make these types of costumes for ourselves with real lives to contend with, construction techniques for various types of costumes (armor to robbed outfits), our stories, and even the experiences we had with other bases (while traveling). I also talked to the Mandolorien Club and the 501st Legion who were at the same event. Most we talked about costume standards, what they do, where particular members came from, and how they made their outfits! A few of them did talk about costume judging, like I can recall the 501st judge telling me that if you can find something that is undocumented in the 501st club, find 3 canon references of the armor/costume you speak of, than it will be approved. I also remember someone saying that when your in different regions of the world, you costume may be judged differently (either by representing a good likeliness of your character OR it must be as EXACT, or the closest you possibly can get, towards having your outfit match your character).

I'm from the Midwest Region in the United States, so the RL Charter up here would be the Nar Shadda Base. I met Beth and her husband. I also met some others. The other clubs, I talked to many more of their members and officials. It was probably the best time I had the whole year, going to this event.

This all happened about 6+ months ago. That's a long time! Haha.

Code Violet ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:

Thanks so much for weighing in! I'll grab some new fabrics this weekend. By 'tabard' do you mean the loincloth? I actually colored in it with a crayon so I might be able to just recolor it. I'll make new buckles and post them all up soon! I look forward to hearing your opinion on the edits soon!

srsmith332 wrote:

I really appreciate your kind words! I'll be trying my best to rectify the discrepancies in color. You're doing an Ahsoka too correct? I want to do a Rebels Ahsoka soon but I'm not looking forward to making that big headpiece....

lgtsbr wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm sure these are going to be gorgeous! They indeed seem like a steal for the quality of the product. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford the two of them, even at the discounted price :[ Saberforge's aren't screen accurate but they're closer to my budget....even if I'll have to wait 3 months for them to come in.... :[
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabard, loincloth, call it what you want. Razz Yes, that thing.
Lol, if it is crayons it might very well be possible to just recolor it to make it lighter and more on the red-purple side than blue-purple. At any rate good luck with it.

lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code Violet wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm sure these are going to be gorgeous! They indeed seem like a steal for the quality of the product. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford the two of them, even at the discounted price :[ Saberforge's aren't screen accurate but they're closer to my budget....even if I'll have to wait 3 months for them to come in.... :[

I'd seriously advise that you do some research into the company you are choosing to buy from.

https://www.facebook.com/SFthetruth/?fref=ts

Dave
Code Violet ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought new fabrics yesterday- Hopefully they're better in color than the last set! Maroon and Dark Red as specified by the character requirements.

The costume requirements call for suede for the tubetop and skirt - so I got suede....but now I'm not sure how to construct the pieces. Should I use a zipper or elastic to make sure they don't fall off my body? My old material was nice and stretchy so I just made them extra small and they clung to me. Does anyone have suggestions on how to work with suede?
srsmith332 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of fabric is that? Moleskin? If so, it's naturally a 2-way stretch fabric.

I got my mockup (of muslin) to fit on me quite well after using the Duct Tape Mannequin I made of myself. Used those proportions to make a snug fit, at least for tunic that is.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's microsuede or moleskin it will probably have stretch to it. If it's hide, then there will be no stretch.
I suggest a hidden zipper, perhaps under your arm, in the top so it can be form fitted. Elastics tends to cause wrinkling/folds in the fabric.

Code Violet ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from San Diego Comiccon! I gave my Ahsoka an upgrade although she isn't 100% complete yet! Got maroon suede ish material for the top/skirt and red bootcovers/gloves. I made the buckles on this costume smaller- you can't see them very well on the boots but they're there...just more posterior so they're out of view in all of these pictures.....

I still need to make elbowguards, the hand-glove part and get jedi food capsules. Perhaps paint the shoes red. And figure out how to do body paint.....

Can a judge comment on whether body paint is 100% necessary? I'd also love general input on the progression of my costume!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: