Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fea5641d3ed5706f64c50a6587280647Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Philippine Chewie - A Slooooowww Budget build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omel (Rommel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Philippine Chewie - A Slooooowww Budget build Reply with quote

Hello everyone! "Mabuhay" from the Philippines. I am Rommel and have recently begun building my take on Chewie, i am fond of budget builds ( posted some of my work over at RPF, this one included), but try to make then as accurate as the materials i use will allow. have been procastinating on this build for a couple of years because artificial hair that have been available has been too expensive to fit the budget theme ( suppliers have been scarce), but a few weeks back have accidentally found that it has slowly proliferated and prices have gone significantly down, bought ten packs initially for about $3 dollars each( converted to Philippine peso it is 150) to do some tests, started making a duct tape/aluminum foil mask. and have slowly trying to make it look like a Wookiee at first then to resemble Chewie as i upgraded the look, most of my builds takes quite a long time since i only work on them during my spare time or when i want to "de-stress" from office work. when i complete this, i am hoping to join the local Rebel Legion. i don't think there is a Wookiee/Chewie here in the country that is up to the Rebel Legion standards, ( i hope to be the first),i believe our hot humid climate is one of the reasons why. hehe, i am also currently working on my ROTJ Vader to be 501st worthy...will be posting WIP photos soon ,,hope you guys dont get turned off ..as my starting stage work usually looks like crap...hahaha. oh have gone back to where i bought fake hair...went around to scout for the lowest price and haggled to buy at less than $2 each , 50 packs...

Last edited by omel (Rommel) on Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Look forward to seeing your build. Don't forget to have a look at other builds on here and ask questions as needed. We're here to help!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Sarah1968 ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Omel - very interested to see what you come up with. And yes, plenty of progress pics please. We have some very wise heads in this group who are more than willing to impart their Wookiee wisdom Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Smile
omel (Rommel)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the welcome! have been reading all the Chewie build threads here and i am absolutely blown away by the talent you all have. that's why am quite reluctant to show my WIP pics as they look crap compared to yours. but i guess everyone needs to start somewhere...hope i can do justice to Chewie with my attempt, so here goes....

it started with this...aluminum foil to cover my face and follow the contours, this was covered with duct tape, (one of my favorite materials as evidenced with all my other builds,) then waterstop epoxy / plumbers putty was used to form basic shape of nose and brow...

slowly it began to resemble a wookie...not yet chewie though...

stilts began with plastic bins, reinforced inside with cardboard and duct taped to hold my weight, shoes/sandals are furter lifted by wedges to achieve an added lift totalling to 14 inches, floor foam was trimmed to form shape of wookiee feet, more cardboard was duct taped to the base structure to achive a footlike appearance, newspaper was rolled into balls and shape was held by masking tape, these were glued/silicone to the foot the covered and shaped with epoxyclay and plastic spoons trimmed to replicate toenails...

Shins supported on the sides with aluminum cutain rods were added to hide the foot bump, test paint was done ..photo with size comparison to my shoe, (i'm a size 10 1/2 or 45),

now a pair..

testing for strength, stability,ease of use and also to see how tall it makes me...i am 6 foot tall by the way...

the sample hair extension i got..

few more refinements done to capture Chewie's look, made teeth and gums out of cardboard covered with epoxy clay painted in nail polish, Wink mask will be static for now, maybe next version will have the articulating jaw...oh and attached the mesh to the back of the head that i will be using...

Aluminum baking trays were utilized to make the large bandolier boxes, shown here with a brown shoulder bag that will be modified into the satchel...

began glueing ( rubber/contact cement) hair to the foot, hope the color blend i am using is correct, upper portion will be mesh with latched hair...this has made me begin to realize the tremendous amount of patience required for attaching hair..haha

this is all for now shall post more WIP pics soon, am currently looking for a seamstress that will sew the mesh suit, and looking for white fake hair to blend with the black..

comments, suggestions and positive criticisms are highly welcomed....cheers

Last edited by omel (Rommel) on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:50 am; edited 4 times in total
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feet are really quite good. Love the texture on the toes! How tall does this make you? For Rebel Legion approval, you have to be a minimum of 7' in costume.

I'm concerned about your mask being able to maintain its shape under the weight of hair. Are you planing to reinforce it somehow? Perhaps fibreglass backing?

Also, the hair colours aren't right for Chewie, but you've got a lovely blend for a generic Wookiee! Might I suggest blending a couple colours together so that your fur has more depth? It looks more natural to have a blend than just a straight colour.

Last thing, the bandolier needs to be a wider leather strap for the back and the pouch isn't quite right. If you are willing, Mel Mattson makes relatively inexpensive bandoliers for a lot of our members. I know you are trying to do a budget build, so even studying some of Mel's photos or the ones from Wookiee Workshop might help you get closer to your goal Smile That said, if you decide to go the generic Wookiee route, you don't need any accessories for approval. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
omel (Rommel)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mask has been covered in epoxy clay, which hardens like cement, it is now solid as a rock. haha, the color blend right now is about 50% #27 and 50%#6, (what is the correct blend for Chewie?)the strap shown is just a regular belt just to see how the boxes looks arranged against a brown leather something, have since ordered leather for the bandolier, the stilts adds about 14 inches the mask should add about 3 inches, i am 6 foot tall barefoot. so will probably be around 7'5" - 7'6" tall, yeah the bag will be ripped apart and brought to someone who will sew it to correct dimensions, it will be temporary till i get a more accurate one. thanks for the comments! Wink

Last edited by omel (Rommel) on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
oh58mech ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, no embarrassment is in order- this is awesome!
Sarah1968 ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Jamie that the colours aren't right for Chewie but dude, gotta say, your skills are fantastic!

A generic Wookiee would probably be more suited for the colours you've chosen.

Far out! LOVE your work Smile
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omel wrote:
the mask has been covered in epoxy clay, which hardens like cement, it is now solid as a rock. haha, the color blend right now is #27 and #6, (what is the correct blend for Chewie?)the strap shown is just a regular belt just to see how the boxes looks arranged against a brown leather something, have since ordered leather for the bandolier, the stilts adds about 14 inches the mask should add about 3 inches, i am 6 foot tall barefoot. so will probably be around 7'5" - 7'6" tall, yeah the bag will be ripped apart and brought to someone who will sew it to correct dimensions, it will be temporary till i get a more accurate one. thanks for the comments! Wink

#27 is great and a lot of us use #44 Gunmetal Grey for Chewie (I did anyway).

Keep going, cracking job Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh58mech wrote:
Dude, no embarrassment is in order- this is awesome!

Very cool ! Keep the progress photos coming . I love the idea of the grid on chewys under skull . Great idea !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved up a bit, a few hours work ( attaching hair really takes patience...Wink )have been mixing the 27 and 6 in varying proportions, usually in the range of 70% 27 and 30% 6. the color looks dark when viewed from the top and a lot lighter when viewed from the side. will take photos outside in daylight, the lighting in my room may be affecting how it turns ot in pictures ( CFL lights) plus am just using my celfone camera since its easier to upload...your thoughts and comments are most appreciated.
omel (Rommel)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, do i need to extend the muzzle some more?, it was noted by some that it seems a bit flat on the profile. thanks!
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an authentic profile, I think both the nose and the muzzle need to come out. Making the nose bridge angled outward and the muzzle taper down a bit narrower as it comes out.
Sarah1968 ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whipped up a comparison pic, using my leet Powerpoint skills hahaha, between Chewie Ep4 and your mask build thus far.

Hope this helps Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: